Raystown Striper Suggestions...

Author
martyweir
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 67
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/27 16:41:48 (permalink)

Raystown Striper Suggestions...

My brother and I  are planning a trip to Raystown lake in a few weeks to try out luck at the stripers.  Is it common to catch stripers during the day this time of year, or is night fishing the best option (like Lake Arthur)?  We do a lot of bass fishing, and some striper fishing in the salt when possible, but I've never fished this lake. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions to a couple of Raystown first timers - areas of the lake to target, depth range, structure patterns, successful lures, times of day, etc. - basically anything other than - "Hire a guide"  (I'm a hardcore DIY-er who'd rather get skunked on my own than with a guide).  I hear the LM /SM Bass fishing isn't to shabby here either.

Any suggestions or fish stories are greatly appreciated!    
Marty

4 Replies Related Threads

aceplayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Raystown Striper Suggestions... 2007/07/23 13:18:04 (permalink)
    About 90% of the stripers that I know of being caught have all been caught after dark. Also for the small mouths hit the coves where the boat traffic is minimal. Get an alewife shiner pattern spinner for the bass and you are in business. :-) GL
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Raystown Striper Suggestions... 2007/07/23 15:07:28 (permalink)
    We're going to head down tonight and fish; either seven points or the dam.  We got a place to set up camp for the next few nights.  I plan on doing some "walk the dog" topwater after dark and plan on getting the skunk!!!! phew!

A friend caught a 16 pownder the other day duudsa and lost a biggen.
    martyweir
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Raystown Striper Suggestions... 2007/07/23 16:37:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input guys!  I'm going to try to camp out there, so maybe the night fishing won't be so hard to pull off (wife / young kids / job)

Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Raystown Striper Suggestions... 2007/07/25 14:34:54 (permalink)
    Marty, If you are back please let me know how you did, techniques, etc.  I am heading to Raystown this weekend, and have never fished for striper.  I am taking the family and my time is early morning to fish.

If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.  I have a 20ft lund with downriggers, planer boards, etc and would love to give this a shot.

Thanks!!
    Jump to: