Warning!!!! The New Tip-up Definition and Hand-lines

Author
Wisdom
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 374
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/08 11:35:58 (permalink)

Warning!!!! The New Tip-up Definition and Hand-lines

As you may know the DEC has blessed us this year with a new definition of a tip-up as follows:
"A tip-up is defined as any device used for fishing through the ice that has a signaling device attached, except a bobber or other floating object on the water, that will visually or audibly signal a strike. "  
   In the Regs. it states you can use 5 Tip-ups and 2 Hand-lines.
   I personally don't fish for pan-fish and use 5 tip-ups and 2 rods (hand-lines) in rod holders as pretty much "dead-sticks".
   I looked at the definition and saw the DEC's use of the words "signaling device attached" and thought about what else could also be considered a tip-up ....clip a bell on the end of your rod under the new definition it is now a tip-up same with the spring at the end of some ice rods. If you think about it they fit the new definition. Now here is where it crosses the line in my mind; I just found out that my "dead-sticks" are tip-ups because when the rod bends it is considered by DEC to be a signaling device (This is reported to have come from a DEC officer). So you don't even have to have a bell or spring. Does this mean you have to be holding both of your hand-lines for them not to be considered tip-ups or are they still tip-ups because the rod bends? It appears that DEC is considering the reel the "device" used for fishing through the ice and the rod as the  "attached signaling device". What a crock!!!!
   I'm wondering if I switch my "dead-sticks" to my Eskimo hand-lines, that I loop around the leg of my chair so they don't get pulled in, is my chair now a signaling device? This definition is vague and opens the door to almost anything being considered a signaling device making any hand-line a tip-up.
   I don't know how far DEC would take it but be careful.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com

6 Replies Related Threads

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Warning!!!! The New Tip-up Definition and Hand-lines 2009/01/08 17:46:02 (permalink)
    I go with 5 tip-ups, one rod with a minnow on it, and one rod used for jigging. If the rules changed, I'll be polite to them and they can explain the new rules to me. I always thought the rules were vague to begin with, so I guess it's all in the interpretation.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    marsh rabbit
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Warning!!!! The New Tip-up Definition and Hand-lines 2009/01/09 12:38:21 (permalink)
    Wisdom, Sounds like from their definition you are fishing with 7 tip-ups?
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Warning!!!! The New Tip-up Definition and Hand-lines 2009/01/09 22:40:51 (permalink)
    Wisdom, I would say most understand it as being five tipups and two handheld devices (jigging rods)..one of which can be put in a bucket rod holder and not in hand. Should you be approached for such a related issue, just ask for badge numbers and take cell phone pics and post them here or better yet youtube. It is wise to record any such confrontation. I had a rookie DEP fresh out of the city a few years ago challenge me having an undersized lake trout from waters they do not exist. I politely explained to him it was a brooktrout, even though, joecop know it all insisted there was lake trout in the lake. Lucky for him he didn't break the law and seize my brooktrout! lol  this is just an example of what could go wrong and why it is a good idea to know the rules and bring a camera/phone .
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Warning!!!! The New Tip-up Definition and Hand-lines 2009/01/09 23:54:10 (permalink)
    Problem is I've read posts where ECO's are telling people spring bobbers can be considered tip-ups, a rod in a rod holder can be considered a tip-up because a rod bending signals a strike. The new definition makes it possible for alot of hand-line "methods" we all have used for years now to be considered tip-ups by ECO's if they decide to get technical about the definition. The only thing I know is if I get fined for fishing the way I always have because the definition is vague, I will save my pennies and move to Hawaii where my buddy is probably spear fishing as I write this. Aloha
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/01/09 23:55:24

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Warning!!!! The New Tip-up Definition and Hand-lines 2009/01/11 10:46:59 (permalink)
    Wisdom , I with you 100%.. I read that over a few times and it is vague and probably should be more specific because is literally contradicts general ice fishing rules still reads five tipups and the use of two jigging rods. If the state dept. is waisting everybodys time playing games as you suspect, maybe it is time we all get together and do something about such threats to our passtime.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Warning!!!! The New Tip-up Definition and Hand-lines 2009/01/11 10:53:04 (permalink)
    Yesterday finally got replacement belts for my snowblower, worked great saturday ..this morning it is a sheet of ice here in nnj. All is go for closer to home this week! Alot of consecutive cold settling in the lower regions ! all I want is a few of my favorite holes to freeze solid.I don't even use tipups on my fav holes!
    Jump to: