My First Ice Fishin' trip

Author
ILikePike
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/05 06:16:18 (permalink)

My First Ice Fishin' trip

I've never been ice fishing before, headed up to ballston lake.
As I was jiggin' for panfish with a little tiny jig i got this 3 1/2 lb. largemouth.
My First fish through the ice.

My friend got a couple little sunnies and a perch

Felt good to fish again, been almost 2 months without catching a fish.

9 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: My First Ice Fishin' trip 2009/01/05 17:06:01 (permalink)
    WTG keep pounding them...cheers
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/01/05 22:12:24

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: My First Ice Fishin' trip 2009/01/05 21:57:37 (permalink)
    Nice first trip man.  Another one hooked!
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: My First Ice Fishin' trip 2009/01/06 15:28:13 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, i was just happy i caught something. i'm definately hooked now.
    wasn't sure if i would like it, but catching that bass on a little jiggin stick was awesome.
    definately a drag screamer!!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: My First Ice Fishin' trip 2009/01/07 00:32:22 (permalink)
    Handlining a big trout or pike on a tip-up is pretty exciting too... 

It's about as primitive as it gets...

Sweet bass!  That lake surrendered some MONSTER bass to some of these dudes this summer...  Hell, I think there may be a "Wanted" poster at Good Times Resturant with pictures of Santaman, Brian and ReelForce since they slayed so many beasts this summer.

You should get out with some of these guys this winter...  It's always a good time...

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: My First Ice Fishin' trip 2009/01/07 21:14:47 (permalink)
    Nice day it was pike, enjoy the sun on cold days, always feel the difference when the sunsets! Hoping your days on the ice are sunny and windless too! ok, did alittle tipup maintainance tonight,  after a few seasons of  accumulated marker knots, it was time to untie them and go back to using the small buttons that snapped off in freezing temps some years ago. I find the small buttons slide easy enough rather than tieing marker loops. I'm using about 3-4 feet of flourocarbon 8 lb test leader material tied directly to 20-30lb ice fishing braid . I connect the two different lines using  5 turn up /5 turn down albright.. make a 4" loop in the mono leader..pass about 6" of the ice braid line through the pinched loop and twist/wrap  braid 5 turns up the loop and again 5 turns back down the loop and passing the tag end through the same way you came into to loop.  For the hook, a #6 baitholder eagle claw is good enough for a range of species using small to medium shiners. And I usually go one small split shot to get the bait down. 
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/01/07 21:26:41
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: My First Ice Fishin' trip 2009/01/08 05:25:39 (permalink)
    Jimmy
    My goal is to get some big pike, (my favorite fish to catch). we had about 5 tip-ups set-up out there and nothing! but it was first ice trip and my first time on ballston. i know there's some nice fish in there though it's just a matter of right place right time.
    Me and my buddy would definately be into meeting up with some of you guys sometime. because of my work schedule sunday's are the only day i can make it out.

backin79

thanks for the info. we were using medium\small shiners on our tip-ups but no luck. there was a ton of people out there that day and nobody else was having much luck either, other than a few small panfish.
    but it was a beautiful day, barely any wind at all. all in in all a good start to the ice season.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: My First Ice Fishin' trip 2009/01/09 16:16:54 (permalink)
    Pike:

I tried Ballston Lake today on the northern end off the public fishing docks.  Walked out about 500 yds and used three tip-ups with large shiners and jigged for about two hours.  Area was snow on top with slush underneath making it hard to navigate with my sled.  Wind picked up and drove me off the ice when it started howling.
    Only got one small largemouth jigging and nothing on my tip-ups.  On my way in I noticed someone had left a nice tip-up frozen in the ice.  Must have fallen off his sled.  Saw the name and returned it to the guy in Ballston Spa.  He thanked me and was going to wish me good luck until he saw I was an Eagle's fan.  He was a Giant's fan, but still appreciated me bringing in his tip-up.
    Will try the same area on Tuesday with another guy and hope the slush freezes so it will be easier to drag my sled out on the ice.

Eagle Ed

P.S. Forgot to add that a State Trooper walked all the way out on the ice to check my fishing license today!  That's a first for me, as I've been checked by DEC and others before, but first time by a New York State Trooper while on the ice!
    post edited by eagleed - 2009/01/09 22:50:47
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: My First Ice Fishin' trip 2009/01/09 22:47:53 (permalink)
    Was windy today, waiting after the snow storm.  
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: My First Ice Fishin' trip 2009/01/10 05:55:01 (permalink)
    ed
    i forgot to mention that too. a dec trooper came out and checked everybody out there when i was there too.
    he looked at my liscence and asked my date of birth. caught me off guard and had to think for second about it
    also checked my minnow receipt.
    Probably the same guy.
    post edited by ILikePike - 2009/01/10 06:00:10
    Jump to: