Author
Berk
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/04 04:26:04 (permalink)

If Your Starting To Tie Don't Buy

Bass Pro Shops Standard T Classic Vise

It looks nice, but this is horrible, I thought it would be good to start out with but it's not. Right after getting some stuff from the local supply store, I went home to test it out.  I found that the vice didn't hold the hook well, didn't stay in place well, and the bobbin was to small for a standard spool of thread. What a waste of money, I'm planning on making a few phone calls in a few hours and I was hoping you guys could let me know how much to expect for a basic vice, bobbin, bobbin threader, and a pair of good scissors.  Thanks
post edited by Berk - 2009/01/04 04:30:07

8 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: If Your Starting To Tie Don't Buy 2009/01/04 10:54:25 (permalink)
    Either go on line and examine a few stores or you can buy individual pieces at the store you mentioned or you can contact Fish usa and talk to some of the guys there.  Or, you can arrange to meet up with one of the known fly tyers on this site and they can guide you to good equipment.  there is some really good advice on here.  The end result is YOU must be satisfied with what you want.  What you feel is adequate for you may be useless to another person.
         Good luck!  I went through the same problem earlier this year but I had expert advice.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: If Your Starting To Tie Don't Buy 2009/01/04 13:06:47 (permalink)
    I like the griffin vises and tie on a griffin rotary vise.  If i had to buy another one i'd invest into a regal on a pedestal base..

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: If Your Starting To Tie Don't Buy 2009/01/04 13:28:43 (permalink)
    I would disagree. I have a tying kit that is very similar, actualy by most standards- cheaper.

The legs on the bobbin are tight and need to be worked in. If they were wider, they would break in and be too lose.

Bobbin threaders are useless. Best to just lead an inch of thread down the throat of the bobbin and suck it through like a straw.

Never liked the look of thse pedestals, so I went with the desk clamp.

The jaws can be adjusted by the nut on the back of the draw bolt, back by the cam locking lever.

Other than that, bear in mind that tying is a skillset, and using the tools requires the developement of those skills.

Screw around with it for a while and learn how to use it. A few friends of mine sell thousands of those a year, and allways get a few back from people citing the exact same claims. There has yet to be anything wrong with the actual vice.

Heck, mine is a return peice that didn't work.

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: If Your Starting To Tie Don't Buy 2009/01/04 14:36:40 (permalink)
    berk you got a pm

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: If Your Starting To Tie Don't Buy 2009/01/04 17:34:41 (permalink)
    I agree with PeteM. On that style of vice the adjustment needs to be tweaked a little for every hook size. And the bobbin legs also need to be bent a little to fit the thread spool. Don't bend it too much or the spool will be too loose, not enough and it will be too tight and you'll be constantly be breaking your thread. Hope this helps. 

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: If Your Starting To Tie Don't Buy 2009/01/04 20:21:23 (permalink)
    buy yourself a rite brand bobbin it has settings for thread tightness 15.00 to twenty dollars a piece

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: If Your Starting To Tie Don't Buy 2009/01/05 10:38:56 (permalink)
    berk, what you have displayed is more of a portable kit to take a long with you on a few days adventure to tie flies as needed. i have one and that's what i take.

get yourself a c-clamp vise for now until you get used to knowing the pressure to use.

it's ok to bend out the tangs of the bobbin threader some to not put undo pressure on the bobbin. a longer one is better than the short one in the kit.

if you plan on tying small #18 and smaller tyes get youself a better vise. griffin vises aren't bad to start out on. i like a regal myself. don't get too hung up on a rotory vise for now.

there are many of us fly tyers who are willing to answer your questions as they come along. don't get too fustrated or judgmental on equipment until you get a feel for tying. trust me.

some pointers.
    get another pair of scissors for heavier material you'll be cutting. only use the best pair for trimming feathers and thread.
    when you cut lead or wire use the inside of the scissors towards the finger holes, this saves the outter points of the blade from getting dull and knicked up.

get use to the bobbin threader and keep a very thin needle to clean out the bobbin holder. many threads are prewaxed and the wax will eventually clog up.

get the right thinner for the bottle of head cement you use.

start off with #6 thread mono. once you're used to that you can start buying regular tying thread and eventually go down to #8 for smaller flies.

good luck, ~dt

good luck ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: If Your Starting To Tie Don't Buy 2009/01/05 12:49:46 (permalink)
    i have to agree with dt as for scissors buy the best you can afford for cutting deer hair i recommend serrated for deer hair and most synthetics excuse the spelling.I picked up a nice three pack of dr slick scissors at ll beans over the holidays just to have on hand they were 30.00 standard pair arrowpoint  and a fine point pair. as for a vise they sell a sqeeze type.by that i mean you sqeeze the handle on the vise and the jaws open. this type of vise really holds the hook and those can be had from bass pro for like 35.00 bucks<and yes get a c clamp style vise.All i can add is practice practice and be patient and things will work out.here is a site for you flyanglersonline.com great site tons of information. good luck and enjoy the hobby. paul

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Jump to: