Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ...

Author
Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/21 12:46:18 (permalink)

Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ...

Since this board seems to get the most activity, i though t I ould ask here....

I'm taking a trip to Norhtwestern Wyoming. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on fishing for Lake Trout (Macinaw), in Yellowstone Lake, Yellowstone National Park,  and Jackson Lake in the Grand Tetons. I'm very familiar with fishing Lake Trout in the Great Lakes. Does anyone know if the same techniques we use here in the the east work for the trout out there. I do have a lot of time planned outthere ,but, I don't really want to pay to rent boats and kill time experamenting.

Also, I recall a while ago on the old boards, I believe there was talk about ticks out in Wyoming. Has anyone hunted out there in the summer for varmints and predators and were the ticks were a problem.

Thanks in advance fo the info.  OTH

28 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/21 12:58:16 (permalink)
    The coolest fishing I found out there was, for greyling in Grebe lake.  That was a lot of fun, and one of the only places in the lower 48 that you can catch them.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/21 15:33:46 (permalink)
    Over,
        Although it has been years since I have fished Yellowstone some things haven't changed.  1st you need a Federal Park fishing license.  Second, if you can get to the fish easily. . . .  they have been fished over A LOT! and are very selective.  If you can see fish you can try to match the hatch or you can throw something very different at them.  I once had excellent results casting a grasshopper fly right up close to the banks of the creek I was on.  Not very stylish but that is where the feeding trout were hanging out.  There are a lot of creeks in Yellowstone that are undercut, or have grass hanging out over them.  There is often up to two feet of creek back behind the visible creek line.  The big fish hide out there during the day.   An ant is good there also.  Anyplace way back in is also good. . . . but watch for bears, elk, and buffalo.  Buffalo really don't give a d*mn if you are fishing, if they want to go somewhere they will.  Streamers work well, as will a mudler minnow fished deep in a creek.  Hope you have fun.  By all means call ahead for campsite reservations.  Some days they actually have traffice jams in the park.
         Wyoming does have a wade law but the banks of the creeks are usually private property when outside the park.  If you aren't staying at a camp that has access it would be wise to hire a guide service that has access.
    A float trip is always a good bet for success.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/06/22 17:20:08

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    montanafishrmn
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/22 00:07:58 (permalink)
    oth,
     i live about 25 miles north of yellowstone and with the weather being as nice as its been lately, ive had the opportunity to spend quite a bit of time fishing the park. i havent had the opportunity to fish for lakers on yellowstone lake yet but i have quite a bit of info on it. as for the ticks well they are a fact of life here in the rockies. not much you can do to avoid them aside from bug sprays which arent always effective. when do you plan on heading out? ill send you an im with more info. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.                                            m.f.

you cant catch em if you aint fishin for em
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/22 01:26:45 (permalink)
    you dont know how to fish mike. btw. jim blew up his new bike
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/22 19:18:11 (permalink)
    Montana, i'm leaving in the morning. i was suppose to leave monday but i'm taking my nephew and brother now. it'll be a great oppurtunity for my nephew to see America. long drive but worth it. we all use to go to Lake Ontario for lakers, browns, salmon etc... he really enjoyed it. since his brother died 3 years ago (tomorrow is the anniversary) we haven't done any special trips anywhere. Time to get back on the horse and have some fun. he's missed out on a lot of good times.

he has special needs and wading the rivers will be difficult. that's why i really want to get him out on the lakes for trout. i heard yellowstone lakes cutthroat population has crashed because of the lake trout eating them. one river in the early '70s use to have 70,000 spawning cutthroat. 2 years ago researchers only counted 414. last year they didn't bother counting. to those that don't know, lakers are not native to yellowstone lake and are really causing a major disruption in the ecosystem. thru DNA testing, they found the lakers were illegally put in the yell. lake from 2 other lakes in the park. i forget the names of the lakes at the moment.

I will do my civic duty to rid the lake of these exotic predators and have a good meal or two. i'll also be fishing the shoshone when we first get out there.

i'm taking my laptop will be able to keeping reading this thread as we go along. will download some digital pictures as  i go along.....

Thanks to all for giving me tips and advice on the rivers and ticks.

OTH

post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/06/22 19:22:24
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/22 19:20:14 (permalink)
    PS: montana, do you know of any good places to stay out that way, or should i say, any tourist traps that we should NOT stay at? thankx, OTH
    montanafishrmn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/22 23:55:12 (permalink)
    oth,
     if youre looking for a good place to stay i would recommend the red pole ranch in wapiti, wyoming. if youll be entering the park from the eastern entrance they are located about 35 miles east of the park. the owners names are don and patty and they are some of the nicest folks youll ever come across. they have cabins you can rent. the shoshone river youll be fishing is actually loaded with cutthroat and luckily they arent very particular about what they eat so you should catch plenty of fish there. if you end up staying in or around cody, wyoming there is a small lake a few miles north of cody called newton lake. it is an artificial lures only trophy lake and i know for a fact that it holds a few 5lb plus brookies along with the browns and bows. as for places to avoid well im not a fan of jackson hole. virtually the entire town is a tourist trap and it has very little genuine character. its also very expensive but being tourist oriented seems to make it an immensely popular destination. as for the park itself, if you get the opportunity, fish the firehole river. its on the western side of the park but its and enjoyable river to fish. if you end up entering the park through the north entrance, passing through livingston montana let me know and i can give you all the info you need on this area, afterall it is now where i call home. good luck on the trip, youll love it and if you have a digital camera you may want to upgrade the memory card to hold more photos, soon youll understand what i mean. anyhow, hope this helped.                                m.f.

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/23 04:18:01 (permalink)
    Montana,  I've seen Red Pole Lodge on the internet and it is one the better places for us to stay that i saw. I will be spending a lot of time in Cody and Powell, my parents retired to there recently. They are not set up to have all of us there, so, we're gonna float around a bit, no particular place to go...... whatever we see and like, we'll hang around at.

Jackson, from what I see on the internet is VERY expensive... from what i was told, Cody is turning the same way. Hold onto your wallet!

Most likely we'll be going north out of Yellowstone into Montana. Would be nice to try and hook - up to do some fishing together.

It's 04:15 hrs and we're leaving at 10:00 hrs. got to go for now...glad my brother is driving first shift so I can sleep...

Thaks again for the tips....OTH

PS:The firehole my dad has fished a few times and was pleased fishing it. At his age he doesn't get around like he used to. So it must be convienient to get to. That works out good for my nephew...

montanafishrmn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/23 20:20:30 (permalink)
    oth,
     if youll be heading out via the northern entrance keep in touch if you can and perhaps we can hook up for some fishing on the yellowstone. the world famous salmon fly hatch is due within the next 2 weeks and if you manage to hit that hatch the fishing can be absolutely unreal from what ive been told.  also the livingston roundup is coming up in a week. dont know if youll be around then but the roundup is one of the largest and most popular rodeos, events in the state and its a weeklong festival full of activities. everyone here is looking forward to it. the actual rodeo takes places the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of july with festivities starting next weekend and fireworks each night. its a great place to take the family. as for the firehole river, well luckily it does have some very easy access points in the park which dont require very much walking at all, in some cases less than 50 feet, and the same applies to most of the rivers here in montana. the state has done a great job of providing easy access to montanas rivers for the public. anyhow, have a safe trip and i know youll have a great time at the park. look me up if you want to get together for some fishing. oh yeah and one last thing. if you leave the park via the northern entrance, gardiner, montana. there is a great restaurant down there called the town cafe, youll see it when you leave the park. i was talking to the owner of the restaurant not long ago and he said they were about to add buffalo prime rib to the menu. not sure if they have yet but he swears its the best meat youll ever eat. and if its burgers your after, about a mile after you cross through the stone arch of the park and after you cross the river on your left hand side will be a little place called helens corral. great burgers there.  hope this helped. have a safe and pleasant trip.                                      m.f.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/23 22:07:27 (permalink)
    Montana, don't mean to interrupt the thread, but how is the flow on the Big Hole???

You said you are 25mi. North of Yellowstone so I assume you are about the same distance South of the Big Hole...Is that right?

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    montanafishrmn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/23 23:10:16 (permalink)
    tippy,
     actually the big hole is between 100 to 125 miles from where i live but as luck would have it i was up that way this morning. according to the local fly shop guys the river is flowing good right now and the fishing is excellent, but they are all wondering how long the good flow will last because the mountains didnt receive the snow they usually do this past winter.they did tell me that it doesnt really matter though because in the fall the fishing is great no matter what the river conditions. i remember you mentioning you were planning a trip out here but i dont remember when you said you were heading out. are you planning a fall trip or a summer trip? either way if theres anything else youde like to know feel free to ask, ill do what i can to help you out.                m.f.

chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/23 23:50:10 (permalink)
    when you coming home  to party with the big dogs?
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/24 00:01:48 (permalink)
    Thanks Montana..... We are coming out the first week in August. Hopefully the flow will still be good. We are hoping to catch the spruce moth hatch and maybe some hopper action. It will be my first time out that way so good fishing or not I'm sure it will be a trip to remember.

montanafishrmn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/24 01:29:12 (permalink)
    chasin,
     ill be comin home in august. dont have the dates worked out yet. have to coordinate the dates with the ex so we can arrange for my kids to be there at the same time. this way theyll get to see me and their grandparents. as for partying with the big dogs, well seems like since i left the big dogs turned back into puppies but dont worry my friend, shelly and i will show you girls how its done montana style. speakin of montana style, were thinkin of driving back and bringing some of the horses. do you know anywhere we could keep em while were in town if we decide to drive instead of fly? if so call me and let me know. wede like to bring 4 with us so we can take you guys ridin with us but i need somewhere to keep em, maybe ill just turn em loose in your back yard. im sure your yard needs mowing anyhow.                                                 m.f.

montanafishrmn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/24 01:35:46 (permalink)
    tippy,
     im not familiar with the moth hatch but i know the hoppers will definitely be effective at that time. thats what every guide in every fly shop has told me they use during the height of summer. one thing is certain, as you mentioned, it will be a trip to remember. what town are you staying in when you come out? the big hole runs for over 150 miles so i was just curious which stretch youll be fishing.                                                                      m.f.

chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/24 15:00:27 (permalink)
    heck ya, you can turn em loose here. then when they are done here take em to sauns track it needs mowed also. the place on 832 boards them.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/24 16:59:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: montanafishrmn

tippy,
    im not familiar with the moth hatch but i know the hoppers will definitely be effective at that time. thats what every guide in every fly shop has told me they use during the height of summer. one thing is certain, as you mentioned, it will be a trip to remember. what town are you staying in when you come out? the big hole runs for over 150 miles so i was just curious which stretch youll be fishing.                                                                      m.f.

We are staying near Wise River. I've heard that they close the river if the flow gets too low(I hope that doesn't happen). We were hoping to float it so I hope the flow stays up.... If not I know there is LOTS of water out there.

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/26 00:38:14 (permalink)
    montana, didn't leave until sunday morning. made it to des moines last nite 18 hrs. of driving straight with few pitstops. and i'm in black hillls now just below mt. rushmore. going to deadwood  tuesday morning and then to powell wyoiming, then, cody. there's a motel by buffolo bill res. gonna try to get a room at.

have no cell service here, by my new laptop works great on these wi-fi hi-fi sites. technology is amazing---- no more tuna fish cans with strings attached to them!  was 110 degrees in the badlands today. what cooker! doesn't get like that in PA! seen a lot of critter. got to go my battery is going to shut down. will talk tom. (tuesday afternoon......thanks again to all for replying...OTH
    montanafishrmn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/26 01:07:38 (permalink)
    oth,
     yeah the badlands gets pretty hot i came through there last year in august and it was just like what you experienced today. here in montana though it was about 75 and sunny with a slight breeze. perfect weather. sounds like youre making pretty good time. if i might offer you a little advice, if you get a room in cody and you plan on staying there for a while you might want to reserve the room. cody has the buffalo bill stampede every year over the 4th of july holiday and its a guarantee that by the weekend every room in cody will be booked. i was also wondering if you had it planned in your schedule to drive the beartooth highway. that route has been named the most scenic drive in america by a few different sources and trust me, its well worth the time. it will take you over the highest elevations in the lower 48 and it is simply breathtaking. best part is its not far from cody, and some of it runs through montana. if you want to get some pictures of scenery, there is nowhere better to go. one nice thing is once you get to cody, it wont be as hot. hope your trip continues to go well.                                                         m.f.

montanafishrmn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/26 01:27:42 (permalink)
    hey tippy toe. check out this website a guide told me about. he said it would give you flow rates and up to date fishing reports on the bighole. its www.bigholetrout.com. hope this helped.                                         m.f.

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/06/26 10:23:38 (permalink)
    montana, we're gonna try the beartooth. did hear it was a great ride. today is fun day. casinios, relaxing. tomorrow we'll head to cody. we're suppose to be in powell for the fourth. got invited to a biker campout at a friends house, providing all goes well. talk to you later today....OTH
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/06/28 01:58:10
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/07/12 11:25:30 (permalink)
    finally made it home. trip was fast and furious. i apologize for not keepig in touch, but, one of the great things about the west is no cell or wireless service. got into a few nice cuthroats. didn't fish anywhere near what i wanted..... all in all it was a good trip. pic's to follow...oth
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/07/12 12:18:35 (permalink)
    north fork shoshone river in beartooth mts.  grizzly country. day before i took this picture, i walked upstream to fish, walking downstream an hour later, there was a fresh griz track in the sand. it still had water in the toe prints. never saw it (the bear). sneaky buggers.
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/07/12 12:29:55

Attached Image(s)

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/07/12 12:24:35 (permalink)
    yellowstone lake

anyone know how to EASILY upload multiple pictures in same message? thanks..OTH
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/07/12 12:40:21
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/07/12 12:41:34 (permalink)
    5X5 elk grazing around our cabin.
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/07/12 12:42:21

Attached Image(s)

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/07/12 12:58:24 (permalink)
    red fox begging at cabin... it would come right up and sit down next to you. think people have been feeding it?

post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/07/12 12:59:43
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/07/12 14:17:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing the photos!  Any fish pictures?

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone: need a little advice on fishing for ... 2007/07/12 16:12:03 (permalink)
    my brother has a few of them on his camera and i'll be waiting years for him to get the film developed. most of the time i never took my camera. it's a better cannon digital. the one drawback is it is not waterproof/resistant.

post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/07/12 16:13:37
    Jump to: