B.A.C. bait shop

Author
steelfisher2000
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/28 12:48:14 (permalink)

B.A.C. bait shop

I recently started tying my own egg sacs after buying them from B.A.C. for several years.  I was not sure what the solution was that they store the eggs in so I called to ask.  George would not tell me what the solution was.  He said it was because that is how he makes his living.  I understand that is how he and his family survive but I do not think the family business would go under for telling me this "secret solution".  I will never go to B.A.C. again.  Up yours George.  Could anyone help me on their "secret solution" on how to store egg sacs, unless it will run you into bankruptcy any info will be helpful.  

15 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/28 12:59:54 (permalink)
    Relax a bit there. Try going into KFC, and asking what the 11 herbs, and spices are. Or the old Italian woman down the street for her sauce recipe. THere are tons of recipes out there. Use the "search" feature, type in "curing eggs", and you'll get about a dozen threads on the subject.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/28 15:19:26 (permalink)
    It took a lot of gumption to even ask such a question.  Might as well ask them for their supplier lists so you can buy direct or open up a shop of your own on the next corner.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/28 16:34:14 (permalink)
    Yeah, youve got to think about what you did from their standpoint.

"Hey, I'm going to be taking my business from you because I've decided to tie my own sacs.  I'm worried they wont work as good as yours, though, so can you insure that I'll never buy them from you again by telling me (for free), how you do it?"
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/28 16:43:21 (permalink)
    BORAX!

but thats a little harsh saying you wont shop somewhere because they wont tell you what keeps them in business even tho i feel poor richards eggs are better then bac.

i dont usually shop at bac because ive had better service at poor richards then bac.

but thats everyone opinion.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    3way
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/28 17:02:12 (permalink)
    he gets it from walmart!....of chineese manufacture, it's sold under the label of slappy herman's go juice.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/28 18:45:20 (permalink)
    LOL

welcome duud

I see you might be new 'round cheer

at least you got good response with your first post

I'm curious though, is there something better about BAC  sacs compared to other's?

what I'm asking is, have you tried other sacs and got no bites, but then tied on a genuine BAC sac and got  success?
    if so, I probably wouldn't share my secret sauce to strangers  either if i sold the stuff for a living,
    Instead,  I'd MARKET them hard as the BEST bite getter in Erie.

I'd call them "MagicSakz" and sell 'em 3 for a buck!
    I'd be RICH!!!
    Robin Leech would be calling me!!

..L.T.A.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/28 23:11:09 (permalink)
    Soak-em incider.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    3way
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/29 12:46:39 (permalink)
    like duuuuud, slappy's keepin' his formula on the down low man!...lol
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/29 19:45:29 (permalink)
    Always comparing sacs on here . I'm beginning to wonder about this board?

I like spoons idea .....................
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/29 21:25:51 (permalink)
    glad to see you figured out how to tie them yourself,I am sure your business will not be missed.
    GradyWhite#2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/29 21:38:43 (permalink)
    Earlier this month I was fishing by the Millers Crossing (aka Whiteman's Bridge area).  I'm sure others noticed it, but there are several signs posted there  stating "No Hunting - No Tresspassing" (north of the parking lot, near the BFI trash bin).   I ran into a very nice gentleman downstream on Elk who stated his relative owned B.A.C. Bait Shop, and that same relative owned the property on that side of Elk Creek - and posted the signs.  He explained fishermen can always use that area, and that fishermen will never have to worry about that area being posted.  He further explained it was intended more to keep litterbugs and hunters away.  I have no reason to disbelieve him - and thanked him for not only for being so cordial while we fished, but also for the information/background on the signs and keeping the area open to anglers. 
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/30 17:04:51 (permalink)
    what is the best way to rig/ fish egg sacs.  me and my friends have tried them a few times without a bite while others were killing fish.  i just hook the sac with a sz 10 circle hook and drift like a fly.  Is that wrong.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/30 17:26:14 (permalink)
    There are a number of fish cures out there.  I know they sell one at Poor Richards.  You can get recipes on the internet.  As already mentioned borax is a major component of many of these along with salt and sugar.  Basically, you are pickling the eggs to keep them intact and reasonably fresh.

As for BAC, I have found the guys there to be fine.  I have not had any problems with them.

pax vobiscum +
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/30 22:54:30 (permalink)
     "i just hook the sac with a sz 10 circle hook and drift like a fly.  Is that wrong."

Go down to at least 12#, if not 14#, and get rid of the circles. They are not inteded for that type of fishing, or hooksets. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: B.A.C. bait shop 2008/12/31 07:11:29 (permalink)
    When you tie your egg sack, how many eggs do you use? The trick is not to make them too big. About 4-5 will do great as apposed to 8-10 in a sac. Plus if you pour a little trout juice on the eggs is a big plus. I use Berkley Power Bait liquid. Don't try to get any on your fingers and then smoke a ciggerette. Makes your lips numb.LOL!!!!

As far as hard cure eggs. This is a very dangerous receipe and you will be better off buying them from a local shop. I can not give out the long lost anchient chinese secret.
    Jump to: