Target Fish on the ICE!!!

Author
Perch Inc.
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 707
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/25 07:52:00 (permalink)

Target Fish on the ICE!!!

Well most of you already how me (alittle),  I'm ALL Perch All of the Time!!!( Well most of the time, I do love a good fight on lite trackle!!!) Perch are a good fight on 2# test ,mic-lite rod and reel!! But they are the BEST EATING Fish and fun to catch!!! So tell me your's and why!! 

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!

12 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/25 19:39:50 (permalink)
    Trout bum here, be it spring, summer, fall or winter. While you got me on the taste, bringing a big laker up from 60+ feet on 6-8# jig rod sure spins my drag. My second target (ice) would be those gnarly monster pike. Seeing and trying to get a 20 pound pike through an 8" hole is a trip..

Now Perch : you have me hooked, I will be targeting some slab gills & jumbo jacks for the fryer this year.. Thanks man !!!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/25 21:32:24 (permalink)
    big laker up from 60+ feet on 6-8# jig rod sure spins my drag

I'm with Tuna on this one ...

After jiggin my 1st Lakers through the ice last season, I AM HOOKED !!! They are drag screamers for sure !!
    Mine were in 160' of water, the fight is long and exciting ... i'm getting stoked just thinking about it  !!

This may sound odd, but i got into some big fat suckers last year on 4# test they fight like hell too. They slammed the **** out of my jig too .... on the flasher they come flying in ... different & fun.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/25 22:20:13 (permalink)
    Perch, YP and Crappie are what I like fishing for icefishing,, to be honest, I have had my share of LT or any trout both open and ice fishing.. i  prefer jigging and drilling alot until I find them tastiest of pan fish . This year i'm going to bring a third jig combo just for convenience (reduces time switching lures and rigs) I haven't gone yet due to warm rain and chitty weather... This global weather bs, had a couple nice sub days and no sooner friggin warm spring rain followed by more sunny warmer weather.. ain't gonna happen anytime soon if these weather swings persist down here. Brian , I do believe you need an 09 sucker stamp ($3.23 u.s.)  you know I just got joke about it!
    post edited by backin79 - 2008/12/25 22:35:18
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/26 00:02:09 (permalink)
    Walleye, Walleye, Walleye!!! Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to find many since moving upstate. (any suggestions would be welcome). I remember ice fishing a decent sized private lake in Putnam County every winter. It produced good numbers and some real nice slobs. But starting over in new bodies of water is always exciting.

That said, I do plan on hitting Round Lake until I get into a big pike. I've seen pictures at the bait/wood shop on route 9, and there are some real benders in there. Drove by today and it was completely iced over, but slushy looking. Looking at weather forcast, I'm guessing another week or 2 before it's safe.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/26 08:22:01 (permalink)

Hi Doug:

Would you believe there were guys out on Lake Lonely last Friday.  Not sure how safe it was or is now, but they were out there.  Tough trail to walk in from Union Avenue Ext. and not sure what it is like now after all the rain and warmer weather.
    Let me know if you try Round Lake, as that is usually the first to freeze around here.

Eagle Ed
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/26 08:56:28 (permalink)
    Ed, you take a bank check? ..! "the great american outdoorsmen all around fish stamp" for ONLY 25 bucks! And it's lifetime ?..! lmao  woohoo! i'd wait on a black friday walmart opener for such a great deal! AHAH, might as well make fun of it.. I suspect the stamp money is part of a long NSA program..a preliminary for cracking our second amendement "the right to bare arms" that is no joke!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/26 08:58:52 (permalink)
    I plan on going with the flow and not against it, life is too short to resist any govt intervention programs.. even when we see the blind are leading the blind.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/26 09:23:41 (permalink)
    Ed, that ice fishing floatation featured suit looks like good idea! good outfit for even cold open water boat fishing ! If I didn't have my browning gortex coveralls and downy winter parka, I'd buy one of them suits. Ed where are the jumbo perch and walleye? lol
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/26 13:49:05 (permalink)
    Hey Ed, long time, no talk. Do me a favor and pm me your phone #, or better yet, give me a call. Stupid me got a new phone and didn't transfer the #s. We'll definitely get out again this winter. And I now know of a sweet crappie hole for us. Gotta take a left off my in-laws lawn instead of a right.

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/26 14:18:01 (permalink)
    PERCH  I like fishing for anything that swims.  I release 99% of the fish I catch, but them perch and walleyes are mighty tasty (GOD eats walleye cheeks I think).  I'm definitely eating more of them this year.  I'm trying to eat healthier so i don't break a big hole in the ice or tip a canoe with my fat arse.

DOUG without giving it away... is your crappie hole south of the "bubble" or in it?  East side, correct? Off weedline or in it? 
     Dude I'm telling you, this year, we get into the elusive Tomhannock 'eyes. Vexi won't let them hide anymore.
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/27 02:17:43 (permalink)
    Barry, I've been holding off renewing my 'hannock permit. I probably should get it, but getting skunked looking for 'eyes there has beaten me down. I've had good luck on the small side with perch though. It's south of the bubble. My in-laws dock is the next one north of it. It's a brutal walk from public access, but I'm sure our schedules will jive a few times this winter. 

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Target Fish on the ICE!!! 2008/12/27 09:49:56 (permalink)
    Hook, when and if you renew that res permit, ask them about the stocking program for that impoundment. They might have stopped walleye stocking in that hole!  I remember how tough it was finding eye in that hannock. 
    Jump to: