too many fish

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
  • Reward points: 0
RE: too many fish 2008/12/21 23:05:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: carpitiss

i never actually thought of that stillhead. that is a good point. not sure how true it is. i do know that smolts stocked in the upper stretches of a stream "get used to" the smell of the stream bed thus urging them to return as adults. not sure of the time frame or age needed though.....

in real steelhead there is a process in which the fish prepares to go from birth freshwater to salt (smoltification)

the location where this proccess takes place is imprinted with the fish, so it know where to return

this proccess is 2 or 3 years

all in the wild

in erie it is a period in a raceway and part is after getting tossed out of a 5 gallon bucket where the PFBC sees fit

*my understanding*
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: too many fish 2008/12/21 23:05:38 (permalink)
By the way, these are all good questions to ask at a PSA meeting, Second Wednesday of each month. Normally there are some smart duuds there that have these answers.  www.pasteelhead.org
carpitiss
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: too many fish 2008/12/21 23:20:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: KJH807

ORIGINAL: carpitiss

i never actually thought of that stillhead. that is a good point. not sure how true it is. i do know that smolts stocked in the upper stretches of a stream "get used to" the smell of the stream bed thus urging them to return as adults. not sure of the time frame or age needed though.....

in real steelhead there is a process in which the fish prepares to go from birth freshwater to salt (smoltification)

the location where this proccess takes place is imprinted with the fish, so it know where to return

this proccess is 2 or 3 years

all in the wild

in erie it is a period in a raceway and part is after getting tossed out of a 5 gallon bucket where the PFBC sees fit

*my understanding*

which brings us back to the point of this thread (i think). why put so darn many smolts into a stream the size of trout run which is entirely for nursery purposes? assuming that most fish return to where they were "born"/stocked....
post edited by carpitiss - 2008/12/21 23:21:41

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: too many fish 2008/12/21 23:32:59 (permalink)
So us "spoonchuckers" can have some open water action, before the purists decorate their arses with yarn balls.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: too many fish 2008/12/22 07:17:03 (permalink)
C'mon Spoon....We all enjoy a "Christmas fish" this time of year. They match the well decorated trees at the creek.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: too many fish 2008/12/22 09:34:07 (permalink)
so then what is the point of Godfrey run?  Did it used to be a nursery?  And what the heck is up with the creepy/weird buildling there with all the statues and figurines?!!! 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: too many fish 2008/12/24 10:57:10 (permalink)
I think I heard a banjo playing last time I was down there and heard Billy Bob talking about alternate uses for chest waders . I would not reccommend fishing there alone unless well .....you swim that way. Tight lines & ****e$ all.
Merry X-Mas
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: too many fish 2008/12/24 11:04:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: fisherofmen376

so then what is the point of Godfrey run?  Did it used to be a nursery?  And what the heck is up with the creepy/weird buildling there with all the statues and figurines?!!! 

Just guessing, but I think Godfrey run is a "back up" to trout run. I do think they still take some fish from there for eggs, not sure though. But I'd guess it's point is to create another lakefront fishery and be a backup if for some reason the return at trout run wasn't enough to get their eggs (unlikely that would happen, but ya' never know). Again, this is just me runnin' my mouth,not fact, but it makes sense to me. Maybe someone who actually knows will respond.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: