Superstition

Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/15 22:29:06 (permalink)

Superstition

Does anyone else have funny things they do before, during, or after fishing?
On my home waters there is a place I fish with a couple of big stones with bronze plaques of two famous fishermen from there. I always stop and string my line there thinking it will somehow give me good juju.
I never go near the water without having my line strung, and the proper tippet for what I plan on fishing.
Sometimes this backfires. There are times when I approach the water with 6X tippet on,  only to see a 5 pounder rooting for shrimp and sow bugs in which case I need to hide and reconfigure my leader down to 4X untill I either catch the fish, or scare him. Then it's back to the original plan.

Lyrical

21 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/16 03:06:35 (permalink)
    Well, I usually like to make sure I have my waders on right side out.  And I try to remember my rod (I actually forgot it once).  And I always wear the same hat.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/16 16:20:23 (permalink)
    Before fishing- I like to wake up early to make sure all previous nights dinner is out of the system. Little smoke on the water is always enjoyable. Afterwards, I like to drink beer. 
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/17 19:21:37 (permalink)
    Indsquiz- funny you mention forgetting the rod. I've done it too. LOL
    One time following a Salmon trip I went fishing on my home waters only to discover I only had my Salmon rod and flies along. I held firm and fished anyhow.
    This is how I discovered Wild Brown Trout will chase down and gobble up a #6 Orange Comet. I don't know if it's a pattern they don't ever see, or if the pattern is just very effective. I'm never without an Orange Comet now, although at home I fish 8's and 10's mostly.
    Comets are the most effective Salmon fly for me. I have had Kings charge them from quite a distance. I use the chain bead eye version.

While I'm talking the SR I have a superstision up there too. I never go there on a Salmon fishing trip without exploding at least one rod. Oh never mind- that would be called stupidity. LOL

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/17 21:20:25 (permalink)
    I try to get laid b4 I go out--I think the fish like the stink

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/18 19:55:23 (permalink)
    Good luck there. You aren't exactly Brad Pitt ya know. LMFAO!

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/18 21:37:08 (permalink)
    No wonder I aint been catching anything

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/18 23:45:45 (permalink)
    You get the new rod yet MS? I want to hear someone is Catching Skams.. You said by Wed.....

Lyrical
    MattyD.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/19 08:04:19 (permalink)
    I fish the Salmon run, as you all know, for one week straight from the last weekend of September through the first weekend of October.  I pack 7 very good cigars.  My rule is I can not smell, cut or light one up until I land my first fish of the day.  It has to be of decent size and it has to be done by Spey Casting and swinging the fly.  I have done my fair share of C&D and I know that I can nail fish all day long in that method, but I am still working on my Spey fishing. 

The next day - it starts all over again...

And yes there have been days, when I haven't landed a freaking fish!- Oh those days are long and by the end of the day I really want that stupid cigar.

Fish off...

MattyD.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/19 09:47:28 (permalink)
    I'll be there the same time Matty,you tickle them with the spey and I'll hook them with the one hander,I don't smoke but enjoy a cold beer after fighting the King all day,three and a half and counting,see you there!
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/19 22:25:48 (permalink)
    Got her all strung up--possibly out 1st light On Wed.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/20 13:21:57 (permalink)
    Slayer- did you get out? 

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/20 20:02:19 (permalink)
    Why yes I did for a couple of hrs---2 smallies and some smolts around--didn't hit the pot-o-gold this time.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/20 21:26:40 (permalink)
    As long as I stay in front of TB on the stream I do great!!

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/28 22:22:00 (permalink)
    I usually say a prayer the night before for not too many tangles and that I don't get a case of truckers mouth for the following day.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/06/29 17:56:50 (permalink)
    Steelydaze-
    Funny you mention truckers mouth while getting knotted up. There have been times (all of us have had them) when it's impossible to leave the world behind when at stream side. These are the days when an errond cast, a small tangle, a missed fish, etc. set things off. I have now made it my personal custom to quit fishing if I'm unable to leave the rest of the world behind. I liken it to the movie "for the love of the game". When on the mound and ready to start he says "turn the mechanism off". All thoughts of anything else but the task at hand disappear.....
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/06/29 18:02:41

Lyrical
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Superstition 2007/07/01 20:48:09 (permalink)
        Salmo:

Someone should have talked to Andy Pettitte today about "turning off the
        mechanism"!  After 1 2/3 innings he was gone, giving up 8 earned runs.  By
        the time I reach Salmon River (Sept. 21-28) my Red Sox will be looking in
        the rearview mirror at the fading Yankees.  Brian Cashman will probably be
        found floating in the Salmon River by August 1st.  Of course, by the time I
        get to the Salmon River my Philadelphia Eagles will also be 3-0 with wins       over the Packers, Redskins & Lions (on Sept. 23).

Eagle Ed

Eagle Ed
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/07/02 12:46:11 (permalink)
    Hey Ed- I bet old Andy's head was spinning? LOL.
    The last time I saw somthing like that was one day a few years ago when they shelled Maddux for 6 in 1 2/3. I'll never forget the look in his eyes as he decended the mound! I don't get to watch much ball anymore. I use to watch every Braves game and alot of the Mets. Not that I really liked the Mets, but could never pass up a chance to watch Piazza in action. None better in my eyes.
    Trying to juggle kids, the wife, shift work and fishing...I haven't seen many games the last few years.
    I can tell you if Bonds, Sosa, Gambini and all the other juicers would get shunned from the game and thier numbers erased I sure would be more excited about the game.
    Pine tar, Cork, Super Balls, Vasoline are all to be expected. Drugs on the other hand ruin the integrity of the game for everyone.
    Salmo

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/07/02 19:17:33 (permalink)
    How do u think I land those monster steelies???---I'm on the juice

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Superstition 2007/07/03 01:06:28 (permalink)
    Living up there that close to the Great Lakes who knows what juice you're getting.
    Now Nestlee wants to bottle it. Salmon flavored water? Yuck!

Lyrical
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Superstition 2007/07/03 12:48:46 (permalink)
        Salmo:

I've had the salmon flavored water from the Salmon River in the cold of December and the warmth of July.  Really not much difference except when you have to dry out in December after a dunking!  Don't forget Eagle Crg and I will be at Selkirk in a cabin September 21-28 if you get a chance stop by and hope we are sober.  Actually you can't tell the difference, so stop by anyhow.

Metalslayer - thanks for being the only one to respond to my embarrassment post.  Also, keep hauling in those steelhead on roids - only way to turn them around until your raisins start to shrink!

Eagle Ed
    upnorth
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Superstition 2007/07/12 11:13:56 (permalink)
    Alright, I've read enough NYY bashing. Go ahead, gloat. We know how much pent up agression there is when you get only get to release it once every 86 years. Oh, nevermind, no we don't.

Cashman is being outplayed by Epstein. No argument there. My team should have re-tooled it's pitching staff years ago. And now the piper must be paid. Theo recognized it, and did it. And the next hole he will have to fill is the one left by Schilling who should realize he's over the hill and needs to hang it up. Just be sure to tell Ep to keep his paws off Bedard...he's ours. And Santana too...he would look beautiful in pin stripes.

All in good fun, fellas. It's your Pennant to loose this year...God it pains me to say that.

Up^

PS - The only superstition I have is to not be superstitious when I fish.

post edited by upnorth - 2007/07/12 11:27:12
    Jump to: