Soft Hackles

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/03 13:13:56 (permalink)

Soft Hackles

I'd like to start tying soft hackle wet flies.  I'd like to hear peoples' suggestions on tying and fishing them.

19 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/03 13:20:47 (permalink)
    I usually just keep them pretty simple, thread body with a little bit of copper ribbing, and then a patridge palmered hackle near the eye of the fly.  I usually use subdued colors like Olive, Brown, Green or Tan, and fish them small right in the surface film.  Usually the body hangs in the water column, and the partridge sits right in the film.  For stocked trout I usually fish these small, right in the 16-22 size, and for steelhead 12-16.  Don't  be afraid to experiment fishing these with different colors for steelhead, orange, blue, purple or pink.  This is a really simple fly to tie but you can get intricate if you want, have fun tying!
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/03 14:41:21 (permalink)
    Soft hackles are one of my most effective flies.  Dead drifted, swung, as a dropper, whatever.

Favorites:

And these just slam trout in SWPA:  (not my photos)

Partridge & Orange

Partridge & Yellow
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/03 17:30:07 (permalink)
    That first soft hackle Hares Ear that D-Nymph posted is a killer.

Soft Hackles can be as simple as a thread body and hackle, or can have a tail, ribbing, flashback as D-Nymph showed, bead head, bead body, thorax dub, dubbed body...etc etc. Use your imagination.

My favorites are....

Early Season Trout- #16 Chocolate Brown Body and #16 Pheasant Tail Body. Both have 3 pheasant tail fiber tails and 1-2 turns of grouse wing for the hackle

Mid Season - #16 Sulphur Soft Hackle (dun tail, yellow body, cream hackle) #12 March Brown Soft Hackle (pheasant tail tail, tan body, dark brown rib, 2 turns of grouse or partridge hackle)

I have a few soft hackles that I swing for steelies. Same style ties, just a bit flashier and bigger. Floss bodies, flashy ribs, and long webby saddle hackle for the soft hackle.

I generally fish soft hackles on large bodies of water where I can make long casts and cover some water. If you are familiar with them...places like the Loyalsock Creek, Pine Creek, Lower West Branch of the Delaware River. I use an 11.6' 6wt and 12' 7wt rod most of the time, but have used up to a 16' 11wt for kicks. I'll start at the absolute top of a hole and make a few short casts across the stream and let the flies swing down and across.  I will lengthen every cast until I reach the far bank, and once I do, I will take a step downstream every 3rd cast or so (unless one produces). If I am not getting takes, I will add a strip or pull into the swing, upstream mend, downstream mend, or throw on a beaded pattern or sinking leader for more depth.

There are many ways to fish them, but I prefer the down and across swing with 3 flies on a dropper rig. The largest or heaviest fly at the front.

Best
    Fisher
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/03 21:03:40 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  I've been doing a little research today and that, combined with your help and great pictures have given me alot of ideas.  Today I tied a soft hackle version of a brassie that just looks like there should be a fish hanging from it.  Also did a few with just the peacock herl body, a tiny gold rib (almost invisible, just to give the herl some resilience), and the hackle, with varying body sizes from full shank down to just a small bump just behind the hackle. 

I'll have to get out the natural dubbing and make some of those hare's ear, I can definitely see those being killer.

Point is, they're fairly simple to tie, even for me, and theres plenty of room for creativity.  Also, its something that many trout dont see very often, which is always a plus.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/04 08:08:24 (permalink)
    Give you guys a tip, dont bother to wrap soft hackles, not only is it a waste of time but its hard to make them look good.

Cut a small v at the tip of the feather in the center. Lay it on top, wrap the thread, then just let it spin in the bare hook like you spin deer hair.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/04 12:09:30 (permalink)
    don't quite follow what you're saying jeremy.  do you tie in the cut tip or the rest of the feather?
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/05 08:17:13 (permalink)
    Cut a V right at the tip of the feather then use the the feather, not the cut tip. I owe a guy on here some photos tonight of a tie. Ill do one to show you.

You basically just need to cut the stem without cutting the feather fibers coming up from the bottom section.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/12/05 08:18:10
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/07 07:56:55 (permalink)
    I will get this pic up for you today. With working and having the flu all week i spent all day yesterday hunting. Im sorry.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/07 08:38:56 (permalink)
    If the trout aren't rising, soft hackles are my choice.
    I like to fish em high in the water column and impart a little action into a slow swing offering.
    I will on occasion add one or two micrshots depending on speed of the water.
    The best hits are the ones where you see the splash, boil or wake when they take em just under the surface.

My top three flies in order of producing fish:
    partridge and tan (my go to fly)
    partridge and peacock (with a small red tag)
    grouse and dark hairs mask.

I also tie em in yellow and green.
    Mostly tied on 14 wet fly hooks with a few in smaller sizes.
    post edited by dano - 2008/12/07 08:51:19

Gone Fishing
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/07 11:37:08 (permalink)

Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/07 14:34:42 (permalink)
    Go here  http://winglesswets.forumwww.com/

You have to join to read the forums, but it is probably exactly what you are looking for.  Good group of folks and very helpful.  The site owner is a master softhackle tyer.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/08 13:09:44 (permalink)
    Soft hackles work well here in central PA. I notice many guys use them just about any time they feel like it, and it works for them. That being said, I don't fish them that way. I tend to use them to match specific stages of hatches.

I use them to represent specific stages of the caddis life cycle, such as the pupa and the diving egg layers. During the grannom hatch, for example, I will fish a bh grannom soft hackle dropped off a dry, and in the evening, I fish a grannom soft hackle tied with a bright green egg sack on its butt to represent the egg layers.

I also use tiny bwo soft hackles during the early baetis hatch. It seems the cold air of February and March doesn't allow the baetis to get off the water very quick, and therefore a lot of the baetis don't make it through the riffles and become washed under the surface. A soft hackle seems to imitate the crippled and drowned duns pretty well.
    post edited by thedrake - 2008/12/08 18:36:12
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/09 14:17:31 (permalink)
    dont forget dan, bwo's dive too, just like caddis
    Sleepy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/11 19:19:29 (permalink)
    Hey guys,

I started tying last year and had great luck on a basic involving some green dubbing and partridge hackle.  They worked well, but I am looking for suggestions for other types of feathers to use for different looks - all I have is the partridge but will certainly get more if its worth it.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/12 16:08:58 (permalink)
    Any barred or mottled bird feathers will do a nice job.  The small feathers on a pheasant's or grouse's head are great, as are the head feathers of many birds.  I also like to pick through the indian hen saddle patches that are sold in many stores.  They usually come in some great colors and are really cheap.  Problem is that many times the stems are weak compared to the genetic chicken feathers out there.  You can also purchase hen saddles sold by the big hackle producers like Whiting and Metz. 

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    CM_Stewart
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Soft Hackles 2008/12/15 11:26:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sleepy

I am looking for suggestions for other types of feathers to use for different looks - all I have is the partridge but will certainly get more if its worth it.

Soft hackle addicts will likely disagree with me, but other than maybe a starling skin, you really don't need anything else. Partridge covers light gray and brown. Starling would cover dark gray/black. You can go crazy with different skins and wings, but I don't really think the fish care at all if your fly was tied with partridge or grouse or woodcock. And only the snootiest would insist that you tie your hare's lug with plover.
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Soft Hackles 2009/01/05 13:28:18 (permalink)
    Its not too hard actually to wrap the hackles and make them look good. I was lucky enough to learn a couple of tricks that might help.

First off depending on which way u are wrapping the hackle around the hook, strip the fibers on that side only.

Another thing is not too make too many wraps . 2 or 3 is plenty with maybe 4 in some situations
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Soft Hackles 2009/01/11 01:26:33 (permalink)
    Well after being infuriated by the too-small feathers in the bag of partridge I got, I'd abandoned my pursuit of soft hackles temporarily while tying for a swap and restocking my dwindling supply of egg patterns.  Got back into it after making a trip to the craft store.  I found their feather section, which would normally offer nothing to a tyer, but I saw a pack of feathers that looked like they might make a nice soft hackle.  At less than $2 per pack, I figured it was worth a shot.  After tying a few "Cheap Feather and Olive" wets, I'm convinced I have a winner.  If I get out on the water tomorrow, I'll try them just to make sure they work in the water like the partridge, and if they do, i'll be back for 2-3 more bags.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Soft Hackles 2009/01/11 07:07:48 (permalink)
    Cold,
     I think if you are sure you are going to be using a lot of soft hackles, get the fowl skins.
     A Hungarian partridge skin will tie hundreds of soft hackles.
    A bit of advice would be not to mail order. you need to inspect before you buy. And get a skin that has a lot of useful feathers near the neck.
    Nice work, BTW.
    Jump to: