safe fun ice fishing conditions

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/21 19:53:08 (permalink)

safe fun ice fishing conditions

I always wait for at least 4 inches of solid ice before venturing out on a well known icefishing pond or lake. Last serveral years we waited until after the first few consistant deep freeze weeks into january for considering a trip north. I been discounting decembers because of the warming seasons we've been experiencing.

3 Replies Related Threads

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: safe fun ice fishing conditions 2008/11/22 02:12:20 (permalink)
    I've lowered my standards the past few years. Give me 2.5 inches, and I'm drillin'. Auto-inflating devices standard.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: safe fun ice fishing conditions 2008/11/22 08:59:31 (permalink)
    4" is my mark with at least a solid 6 before bringing the wheeler out.
    if everything stays in place and no drastic warm spells or snow storms we WILL have very good ice in early Dec. As said above in the other thread , Otsego Co. had many small and mid-size ponds locked in yesterday. Locked in is the key and a Very good sign. The ADK's have been in the low teen's all week with even some single temps thrown in . Now there is some big ponds(lakes) there but once they lock in it will harden up real quick.
    Just keep thinking,  ... ya know , like the woodstock chant....NO SNOW, NO SNOW....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: safe fun ice fishing conditions 2008/11/23 09:42:31 (permalink)
    I agree, it is freezing out there, Stays consistant like this  and it will be early ice in 08. Be safe on the bigger water, I know down here in harriman park, they do not open until all open water is solid of at least 6 inches because certain portions of these small ponds have feeder springs. Brings to mind  some twenty years ago I visited saratoga lk. and drove right on off south beach, as it were other vehicles were already out there. So I followed behind their vehicle tracks onto the ice.. hanging with the locals, they pointed me to the shimmering sunlight on the lk. and with my binocs i seen somewhere in the middle the open water,hence the name" saratoga springs".. it was spooky discovery out there driving, i had a light toyota 4 cyl pu. But with still open water even though it was somewhat safe where these vehibles were tracking ,I had an uneasy feeling and so after jigging a half dozen or so fat perch I was praying to shore lol. I remember too, on greenwood lk many years ago doing this too with local nuts.. I'd do it where it is allowed i suppose if the ice was over 18 inches.
    post edited by backin79 - 2008/11/23 09:48:25
    Jump to: