Holding Ground

Author
BWAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/03 09:02:21 (permalink)

Holding Ground

Went to move my climber to a different tree around midnight on saturday....as I was walking in i spooked a dominant 8 point from about 2 yards in front of me.  Being the idiot that I am I wanted to get a better look at him so i made an attempt at a grunting sound(no call) and turned my flashlight on(he was now 10 yards away).  Well this ****ed him off real bad, he stomped his feet a bunch of times and grunted back at me aggressively.  At that point i started talking and trying to scare him off becasue i didnt want get charged....i stood there for about 2 minutes and he held his ground at 10 yards and let me walk away, not him pretty scarey stuff.  Has anyone else ever had a buck act agressively towards them?

21 Replies Related Threads

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/03 09:17:31 (permalink)
    I was walking a logging road into a stand of mine a few years back, I believe it was Nov. 1st, needless to say I had a giant 9 point, tallest racked buck I had ever seen bedded down 2 yrds off the road.  He stood up 15 yrds from me, stomped the ground countless times and started walking at me, got within 5 yrds before I started waiving my arms, boy did I kick myself in the butt for not having an arrow knocked.  It really does make the hair on your body stand up, I was shakin in my boots because I know that thing could of tore me up before I could do anything about it. 99% of time deer will be gone before you can even see them, but when the rut is on, they dont seem to mind.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/03 09:52:55 (permalink)
    Yep, that happened to me this year, we were walking out of our stands after a long day. Walking the edge of a cornfield on a treeline. Deer were all over the field.

As we got close to the truck, there were 2 big bucks sparring right in our path. We waited, then tried grunting at them. They left, but 6 doe charged us from behind, Scared the hell outta me. I thought they were the buck. Needless to say, they are large animals and sometimes unpredictable!
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/03 19:45:29 (permalink)
    A long time ago when i wasn 't in to bow hunting that much we enjoyed fall turkey hunting.I was sitting there one morning an saw a scrub seven point walking my way.I didn't pay much attention to him till he got 5 feet from me.He strated the head bob then he dug with both front feet.I was telling himing as loud is a could to talk his best bet is to leave me alone.He didn't listen he come about a foot away an wouldn't leave i was pretty scared.After about 5 minutes i thought i was going to get charged so i shot him in the face with a 3 inch mag.It blew his lower jaw off he went and laid down.I went down an cut his throat an drag him out.I don't know if a should of turned him in to PGC or not i was defend myself i was scared ****LESS
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/03 21:09:51 (permalink)
    Thats a sticky situation. I had a buck come in, i put estrous out before my days of archery. He walked up within arms reach of me, a huge body large racked 8pt. He looked at me like he wasnt scared at all and continued on. That started me into archery.

Chicken, i dont know what id do in that situation, prob call the game commission but i wouldnt be surprised if they thought it was a lie and wrote out a ticket.
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/03 21:31:00 (permalink)
    I too have been afraid of what a whitetail may do but unless you corner a deer or make it feel cornered, they will run away..........no doubt !
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 00:07:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

A long time ago when i wasn 't in to bow hunting that much we enjoyed fall turkey hunting.I was sitting there one morning an saw a scrub seven point walking my way.I didn't pay much attention to him till he got 5 feet from me.He strated the head bob then he dug with both front feet.I was telling himing as loud is a could to talk his best bet is to leave me alone.He didn't listen he come about a foot away an wouldn't leave i was pretty scared.After about 5 minutes i thought i was going to get charged so i shot him in the face with a 3 inch mag.It blew his lower jaw off he went and laid down.I went down an cut his throat an drag him out.I don't know if a should of turned him in to PGC or not i was defend myself i was scared ****LESS

I hope your joking.  If not, I dont know how you call yourself a sportsman...pathetic.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 00:31:59 (permalink)
    Nah, there's nothing believable about that. Too many BS statements.

If this was a hunting website, there would be 5 pages or more of ridicule.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 06:06:41 (permalink)
    "After about 5 minutes i thought i was going to get charged so i shot him in the face with a 3 inch mag.It blew his lower jaw off he went and laid down.I went down an cut his throat an drag him out.I don't know if a should of turned him in to PGC or not i was defend myself i was scared ****LESS"

Your best bet is to stay home...

Blew its jaw off at 5 feet??? nice shooting.. 

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 07:50:43 (permalink)
    You can call me what you want krott but i rather be pathetic then eating through a straw when he mauled and riped my guts out.I'm 100% for sure he would of charged me if i didn't shot him.Well hell he could of killed me.I was only 14 when this happen. 
    post edited by chicken27 - 2008/11/04 07:55:03
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 13:33:44 (permalink)
    I know a guy that shot a black bear this year a sow. Was with 3 cubs. He was walking into his stand site half hour after day light walked into a sow and cubs, tried everything he could to get them to leave she charged him. He hide behind the tree and she was 9 feet from him ready to kill him so he knocked a shaft and she charged the second time. So he left a shaft fly shot her through the chest she spun around and headed down over a cliff. He called his friends they went looking for her after 2 hours later the shot her with a 06. He felt really bad what he had to do but it's almost the same thing someone going to kill you and you have a gun are you going to let them kill you first. Sure your not your going to defened yourself. It feels sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Either if you like it or not. I would have shot it too.

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 14:14:08 (permalink)
    I was only 14 when this happen.  

And just what did the adult supervisor that was accompaning you by law do while all this was going on?
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 14:45:49 (permalink)
    Ever think of just taking a shot in the air to try to scare it off???  There's many ways you could have avoided killing that animal...
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 14:55:54 (permalink)

Yet another reason I begin to drift further away from this board... 
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 17:48:58 (permalink)
    That's just down right IGNORATE...... 

as mentioned your adult was not near... #1 illegal act
    shot a deer while turkey hunting ... #2 illegal act
    killed that same deer... #3 illegal act

I wish you would have called the PGC ....  maybe you would still not have a license.... which you certainly do not deserve to have ....

you're no sportsman and have now been added to my IGNORE list of people on this board....

change your screen name to  --- POACHER
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/11/04 17:50:08
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 17:59:14 (permalink)
    Disagreeing with the views of others is fine. However, name-calling and personal attacks on others is not acceptable...

Lighten up Francis !!!

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 18:37:03 (permalink)

You can call me what you want krott but i rather be pathetic then eating through a straw when he mauled and riped my guts out.I'm 100% for sure he would of charged me if i didn't shot him.Well hell he could of killed me.I was only 14 when this happen. 

If you were sure the deer was going to attack you, than why did it not attack you throughout that 5 min it was staring at you?  You had 5 min to yell, wave your arms, throw something at it.  I could of tried 100 things in 5 minutes to scare a deer away.  ****, I could of brewed up a fart and ripped it in 5 min instead of shooting it with a shotgun.  Hope I am never near you while in the woods.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 19:02:23 (permalink)
     he went and laid down.I went down an cut his throat an drag him out

Anybody ever try to slit the throat of a live adult deer no matter how badly hurt he was. I've been involved in a number of them over the years for various reasons and in several of them it wasn't real clear who ended up worse off. For someone who was scared ****--ss, 14, and by himself taking on a live buck with a knife sounds more like someone who keeps digging himself a deeper hole everytime he types. Me thinks there is some sh--ting going on but it is more of the( bull )type.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 19:13:35 (permalink)
    Screw you bud.I read most of your post according to you your a expert then why haven't you killed a legal buck in 4 years or what ever you said.Yeah maybe i should of tried something different to get him away but i didn't oh well.So doc you would leave him ripe your guts because it's illegal if that's the case then anyone of you guys that agree with him have no sense.Y ou take all these pics maybe you should get a job on espn or some kind of hunting show MR. EXPERT SCREW YOU ASSSSHOLE.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 23:02:16 (permalink)
    Alright chicken, just stop man.

You just keep digging a hole bud, your obviously not an adult, and probably not far off from 14, when this happened to you. Think before you type man. No need for cussing.

And everyone else, there's an ignore feature. I use it on many members.

There's still good info on this board, just gotta find it. The block feature helps greatly in that.
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 23:07:58 (permalink)
    chicken27,

Whatever happened right, wrong or indifferent, you had to know that a post like that will get tore up.......
    chromewrangler
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Holding Ground 2008/11/04 23:15:48 (permalink)
    a shot in the air, especially from a 3 inch mag is usually a good alternative regardless of how wound up a buck is in the rut...shooting that deer was a mistake, owning up to it on a discussion board like this was a far worse mistake indeed...
    Jump to: