Smallies hittin' ?

Author
kayak99
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 526
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/31 17:50:55 (permalink)

Smallies hittin' ?

Going out on the big lake tomorrow for the first time this year for some smallie fishing.  Typically we drift tubes and do some drop shotting.  Any recommendations from those out this week?

Thanks

(I'd read the reports but some of the authors are dubious at best.)

8 Replies Related Threads

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Smallies hittin' ? 2007/05/31 19:16:15 (permalink)
    I've had moderate success with tubes so far, but I've only been up a couple times...and the conditions were less than favorable.

Here's one my buddy sent me from last weekend.......6.9#  Every fish he caught for the 3 days he was out was on dropshot.

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Smallies hittin' ? 2007/05/31 19:53:06 (permalink)
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is drop shotting?

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Smallies hittin' ? 2007/05/31 21:05:27 (permalink)
    Dropshotting is a finessee technique to target highly pressured or suspended fish, typically fished in deep water (but not always).  Most drop-shot baits are 3"-6" hand-poured worms, grubs, minnows or 3 and 4 inch Senkos.  Almost any plastic bait will work.

Here's a diagram from In-Fisherman depicting the rig and technique.

post edited by Trout About - 2007/05/31 21:10:13
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smallies hittin' ? 2007/05/31 21:54:36 (permalink)
    Greg,

The drop shot is a way of tying your hook(s) up the line and putting the weight on the bottom. Saltwater fishermen have been using rigs like this for many years.

You can use one or two hooks tied as above or as I like it, instead of using the polamar technique, loop the line so it extends three or four inches away from the main line.  Then just attach lead such as a bell weight on the bottom.

To make the line extend, form a (circle) loop in your line, alternating fingers (while maintaining a loop) wrap the line three times around itself then pull the loop through the center.  Pull to tighten and you'll have a double tag.  You can stick this piece of extended line through the hook eye and around the hook.  Makes the lure more limp.

Almost looks like a crappie/perch rig except that its using the same line, not the metal rig.

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Smallies hittin' ? 2007/06/02 08:02:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help, Trout About and Kayak99!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smallies hittin' ? 2007/06/02 10:36:45 (permalink)
    Left a fishing report on our trip.  The bay was the place to be for bass yesterday, not the big lake.  Watermellon gitzit jigs worked better than drop shots.
    post edited by kayak99 - 2007/06/02 10:38:08
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Smallies hittin' ? 2007/06/03 08:33:21 (permalink)
    kayak99, you and I had to cross paths yesterday. We found same results, Lake was really slow, bay was great. Myself and chugbug caught a variety of fish in the bay and never had a bite on the Lake. We did see alot of bedded smallmouth on the Lake, and alot of cruising fish, mostly in 6-12 feet of water, they just weren't interested in eating. My guess is that the main Lake fish are in their spawning funk, the bay fish are about done and getting back on the feed. Also interestingly, we smoked em on the drop shot and had limited success on tubes, exact opposite as you. Weird how that happens........
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smallies hittin' ? 2007/06/03 20:22:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ready2fish

kayak99, you and I had to cross paths yesterday. We found same results, Lake was really slow, bay was great.  Also interestingly, we smoked em on the drop shot and had limited success on tubes, exact opposite as you. Weird how that happens........

ready2fish, we weren't using drop shots in the bay.  When we came through the channel I watched a guy in a bass boat use a gitzit tube along the wall and pull out a bass on almost every cast.  From that point on my choice of lures was easy!!

Greg, here's how I often tie a drop shot rather than use a polamar knot.  It's called a dropper loop.  (sometimes I use one, sometimes I use the other)  I use the dropper loop because I can easily change hook types and sizes or even loop a mono tied snell hook on quickly without having to cut line.

http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
    Jump to: