Trenches?

Author
Finster
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/29 23:35:09 (permalink)

Trenches?

Does anyone fish the trenches? If so, when and for what? Lakers, eyes, salmon? What time of year do you head out there? It's a long way out so I'm iffy about it. Any info would help. Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Trenches? 2007/05/30 00:29:52 (permalink)
    Once the water temperature reaches a certain point, a majority of the walleye seek refuge in the deeper portion of the lake (eastern basin) and this (trenches) are where they are fished the most. Probably won't be too much longer.

I'm no expert, but this is how I've always understood it.

As far as any other time and species, I have no clue.

I've never actually fished the main lake itself but I am contemplating a charter this year for walleyes. The 16 foot 9.9 hp deep v we have probably wouldn't be wise to be taken out that far, or anywhere short of seeing shoreline for that matter.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Trenches? 2007/05/30 00:49:17 (permalink)
    Anchor or drift fish the trenches for perch.
    Minnows just above the bottom using power-pro or similar line so you feel every nibble.
    Watch the reports page for when to start.

http://www.fishusa.com/FishErie/Reports.asp

Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Trenches? 2007/05/30 10:14:54 (permalink)
    Ronnie84 is right.  Trenches won't heat up until the resident fish are pushed deeper by warming nearshore temps and they won't be joined for a while at the rate we are going by the schoolies from the west as far as the walleye go.  Steelhead can be found out there almost anytime of year by trolling in the upper portions of the water column but it really shines for them in late summer and early fall when staging steelhead gather in big bunches near the thermocline there before making their pilgrimage to the tribs.  There are a few random lakers around, but very few are caught there as most will hug the bottom and rarely do we fish that deep.  A few lost rogue lakers are taken there every year, but few and far between.  If you want greasers, head to northeast and fish the DEEP water behind the mountain.  As far as salmon go, well good luck seeing one.  There is an oddball coho or even rarer king taken every once in a while out there, but VERY few and far between.  Since NY, OH, and PA stopped stocking salmon in the lake, they just aren't there except for the rare migrant.  Join the EPSFA and help us lobby PA Fish & Boat to restock at least more browns if not coho as well.  www.epsfa.org
    post edited by Storm Warning 2 - 2007/05/30 10:16:25
    Jump to: