howmany think that rain brings runs of steel?

Author
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/04 19:01:58 (permalink)

howmany think that rain brings runs of steel?

I was reading the reports page and saw this

"also not any big runs just yet. "

I don't know about youinz, but I haven't noticed any huge correlation to rain and big runs entering because of them.
(the exception are the creeks where they can't enter unless the water is up)

yea, they move in high water, but why does most everyone think mass waves come with every rain?

I think some mistake easy catching that often comes with creeks on the way down after a blow out, as huge waves of fish

you duuds that seem to fish everyday, and see more than I do day in a day out, educate me pleeze

..L.T.A.

17 Replies Related Threads

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/04 20:30:52 (permalink)
    I think rain will encourage some fish to move upstream that otherwise would have been content to stay in the lake close to shore.

You and I both have witnessed and know that when a group of fish gets a strong enough urge to move upstream, they will go as hard and far as they possible can no matter if the water is low or not.  In PA, I think we have so many fish, that between September and Christmas you can expect a run of fish with every increase in water flow, and the biggest runs October through end of November.   It can rain 100 inches in September, and the fish that want to come, will.  Then not rain the entire month of October, but there will still be fish that move in, that didn't take the oppurtunity to run when they had the water a few weeks before.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/04 20:46:50 (permalink)
    This past rain triggered a HUGE run, but I'm not sure it included any fish

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/04 22:26:36 (permalink)
    If there staging off the mouths and some nice cool water comes a gushing, they're coming in.   Case in point.  The fall of 2006 saw decent amount of rain for September through October.  Fish were into McKean on Elk by the third week of September.  Fish were spread out and in great numbers.  Last year I remember the Elk Access had thousands of fish barely to the Cascade hole through almost mid October.  Then the rains finally came and away they went.  I think that good flow dictates how early they'll run, but maybe not how many.
    Of course that could all be hogwash. 

<---  The Holy Trinity
    gil850
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/04 23:15:39 (permalink)
    Lake temperature is still 64 degrees.  You get the water down to 60 degrees AND get rain - that's what sets it off.
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/04 23:31:39 (permalink)
    Thats funny spoon,i was there...LMAO

You can watch fish come in trout run all day evry day....nuff said????
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/04 23:40:23 (permalink)
    I think water temp is a huge factor. However fish can't run a dry creek. A low one they can, and let's face it, the creeks in Erie are pretty much low 90 percent of the time. Rain obviously triggers movement, whether it be fish from deep to shallow water, than shallow water to creek, and they can only go so far in low water. In terms of a run the first infestation always occurs when the water temp is right and the creeks have at least a foot of water in them.
    Kingdady
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/05 17:43:06 (permalink)
    I was just stating a fact that there has been no big run yet. I feel the lake temp needs to get lower before we see a big run of fish. They only need to be able to get in the mouth of the stream to run and yes more water helps the fish get farther upstream.  
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/05 17:56:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kingdady

I was just stating a fact

I have no doubt you were, King
    No doubt at all

..L.T.A.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/05 18:05:01 (permalink)
    Over the years there are three things that seem to be important to the fish when it comes to them entering the streams in large numbers.  They include the amount of day light, i.e. day length, water temperature and the amount of water in the streams.  When the days shorten, the water temperature drops and there is a good flow of water in the streams, the fish will be there in large numbers.  There will always be a few that migrate up the streams as early as August and fresh fish will still be coming in as late as May.  The bulk will hit the streams in mid to late October through December. 

This is based on my experience and I don't have any real scientific evidence to support these observations so take them for what they are worth.

pax vobiscum +
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/05 19:13:47 (permalink)
    All I know is that a bunch of fish appeared, this weekend, in places they were nowhere to be seen last week.  However, spoon is 1/2 correct...along with the fish came the fishermen!  I still say "Bring on the cold!!" 

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/05 19:38:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: genieman77

I was reading the reports page and saw this

"also not any big runs just yet. "

I don't know about youinz, but I haven't noticed any huge correlation to rain and big runs entering because of them.
    (the exception are the creeks where they can't enter unless the water is up)

yea, they move in high water, but why does most everyone think mass waves come with every rain?

I think some mistake easy catching that often comes with creeks on the way down after a blow out, as huge waves of fish

you duuds that seem to fish everyday, and see more than I do day in a day out, educate me pleeze

..L.T.A.

OK BE EDUCATED, HIGH WATER BRINGS  FISH IN. EVERY TIME THE CREEKS GET HIGH AND MUDDY NEW FISH COME IN. IF FISH ARE WAITING TO COME IN, THEY WILL DOI IT WHEN THE CREEKS RISE.  END OF EDUCATION.   ANY MORE QUESTIONS?     GLEN
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/06 10:52:11 (permalink)
    On Saturday I would say there was definitely a nice supply of fresh steelhead in Elk.  Maybe I got lucky and found the good spots but where ever I walked to there were many fish to be had.   Hookups all day!

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    seejib
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/06 12:05:48 (permalink)
    Forcasting a "big run" is no different than forcasting the weather in Erie, the only thing for sure, it will get cold and snow and the fish will run, when and where is up to mother nature.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/06 19:41:50 (permalink)
    What Bug said.

Fishmonger
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/06 22:46:41 (permalink)

"Mr Obvious,
    I think I have a small animal under my kitchen sink...Everytime I hit this one switch it growls like crazy....I think it lives in the pipes."

LOL!!!!!!@Anadromous

..L.T.A.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/07 10:44:04 (permalink)
    Dont stick your hand in there...it bites!
    Wild John
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: howmany think that rain brings runs of steel? 2008/10/07 11:21:09 (permalink)
    LOL @ Genie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XZMC1M9o04
    "Arrrr,rrrrrrr,rrrrrrrr"
    Jump to: