remeber when.....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
McFishin
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 199
  • Reward points: 0
RE: remeber when..... 2008/10/02 16:59:57 (permalink)
can remember it like it was yesterday....awesome time...showed up in western ny on a small stream a local put us on tied on a 1.5inch white/black grub and in about 5minutes i had one on....i was expecting just a little more fight than like a big brood stockie like back here in wv...but wow..i was wrong....it took off like a jet...good thing i always have my drag a little loose...managed to catch 7 more that day...awesome time and i've been hooked ever since..
WaxWorm
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
RE: remeber when..... 2008/10/02 18:15:47 (permalink)
The Stories are great. I was born and raised here "Erie". I grew up on the creeks I remember the days of GIANT salmon in 20 mile "they were bigger then me" . I guess all I really wanted to say is I am thankful I grew up here and I enjoy your stories. I always smile when I see someone land their first steel.
kingnuke32
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1863
RE: remeber when..... 2008/10/02 18:28:40 (permalink)
It was 1999 I think went up with my uncle neither of us had fished for steel before he took an ultralight trout rod and I had my old trusty ugly stick. went to Manchester hole on Walnut first and managed to hook up and land my first Steelie in an hour or so. after that went to Poor Richards to see what else was going on a few guys turned us on to Elk creek and we went there and I caught my next few. My uncle got skunked. To this day I still outfish him, but it's amazing how many fish he catches when I am not around . Last week was my first time on the tribs in the last 5 years as work has kept me away, but now I'm back and it's going to be a great steel season.
moooooo4me
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 339
RE: remeber when..... 2008/10/03 01:32:01 (permalink)
my first trip was in 1998 i was 9 yrs old it was at walnut on the wall froze half the night and slept in my dads truck when i woke my dad didnt catch a thing and i did a little walking to the first bend it was only 10 minutes later i caught my first a 26 inch 5 lb steelie been hooked ever since
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: remeber when..... 2008/10/03 17:30:46 (permalink)
Embarassing as it is, mine was too the manchester hole.

Hooked my first one, he ran down the stream and broke off. I was shocked. Hooked one 3 hours later, and well. History.

Then I found this site and it all went downhill.
gct069
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: remeber when..... 2008/10/03 19:06:03 (permalink)
hi all.im new to this site ,but not new to steelhead mania.in 94 a friend told me about these huge trout he'd been catching and it sounded interesting.he told me what i needed to get as far as equiptment.finally i was "geared up"and ready to fish.i had a mitchel 300 reel connected to an old rod that came with a zebco spincast combo.set it up with 8 lb test line and off i went.there were fish everywhere at trout run and evryone was catchin fish.i couldnt see what they were using for bait because it didnt look like they had any on at all..lololol.i grab a new lure out of the box that resembled a chicken with treble hooks attached and started flinging.needless to say i provided good entertainment to the "regulars"that day.1 of them took me aside and showed me how he was set up,and it wasnt long till i was set up "correctly"and catching fish....im hooked for life.thanks to that gentleman who took the time to show me the way.i try to return the favor to "payback" what was given to me...........keep the rods bent and lines tight...btw..i retired the chicken

gerg
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: