Steelhead Timing?

Author
chipmunk
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/28 20:27:34 (permalink)

Steelhead Timing?

I would really like to make a weekend trip this year to catch some steelheads since I've only caught like 5 before.   I'm not much for shoulder to shoulder combat fishing, so I'd be wanting to troll for em.   There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of creek-mouth trolling reports. Anyone havin any luck or is it too early?

I made a trip last year to troll for them but I was too early...I'd rather not do that again. 

I would imagine that the lack of rain would have the fish bunched up along the shore, but I'm just guessing.

I'll call the bait shops as soon as I get my cell phone fixed (no long distance on the landline)  Until then...any help?

5 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Steelhead Timing? 2008/09/28 22:24:34 (permalink)
    Chipmunk,
        Wait, Wait, Wait.   Till after there has been some really good rains for a while.  I like the first weekend of deer season.  Or wait for the colder weather.  Almost any time after the middle of November there should be fish everywhere in the creeks and they will be more sporting to catch.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Steelhead Timing? 2008/09/29 00:29:15 (permalink)
    If you are planning on only fishing in the lake, I'd say right now is an excellent time, with the creeks low, but the fish ready to run, they seem to be catching quite a few along the lake shore near the mouths of all the major tribs.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Steelhead Timing? 2008/09/29 05:50:12 (permalink)
    Another alternative to trolling & fishing shoulder to shoulder is to anchor your boat near the mouth and cast (as the shore fishermen do) - little Cleo's etc., plus you could set a second pole with bait!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Steelhead Timing? 2008/09/29 06:16:49 (permalink)
    Had a few steelhead on and lost them on Sat. out in front of Trout Run in 9' of water.  The water at the mouths was pretty merky since there were high winds Fri. night.  I saw Fish Connection Charter catch one and lose one....the fishing was very slow trolling for them as equally fishing the streams.  There is virtually NO flow in Elk, actually the flow semed to be heading South instead of toward the lake!  I think its still early in the streams and just starting for shallow trolling...I also think that front shut them down some.  I also got a report afterward that some guys were getting them in deeper water, like 25'.  Other than that, the lake was perfect Sat....2' or less all morning to early afternoon, overcast, but NO landed fish.  Better luck next time I guess!.

As for timing....Now is just the biginning of the fall "shallow" trolling.  This will last as lang as mid November depending on the weather and lake conditions.  I'm going to give it a shot again next weekend.  May even hit the Conneaut area.  Good Luck! 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/09/29 06:50:59

Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Steelhead Timing? 2008/09/29 12:51:50 (permalink)
    Chipmunk,

Went up on Sunday and the water was pretty rough.  I got out around 5:45 AM and was spotting fish everywhere from 5-20 ft deep.  At 7:00 AM they all dissappeared.  Didn't have any hits.  I would wait for two weeks, maybe more depending on rain.  Think it is still a bit early.  I will hopefully be trying again the weekend of the 12th.  PM me if you are heading up then and we can help each other out.  I also am looking for anyone that wants to help share in expenses on future trips, (their boat or mine) so let me know if interested!
    Jump to: