ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
  • Reward points: 0
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/25 20:08:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mikeg

ORIGINAL: elephanthead

Skip, love your avatar (wonder how many flies you can stick on it ?) Dave

He should know considering that's his new tying bench!

Yep thats it  Its hell making lipless crankbaits on it though

elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/25 20:34:41 (permalink)
oh, what I started - sorry Skip !!  Dave
fishmonger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/25 20:34:42 (permalink)
With the water down, now is a good time to explore the tribs. Look for where the water is running now. These will be the channels that the fish will use to move upstream. Where there is a small waterfall now won't be a waterfall when the tribs rise, but the fish will nose in these places and hold for a while. It is just tough to pass a fly in front of them. I walk a lot, usually upstream, just like the fish. Indsguiz is totally correct when he says that the condition are not the same from year to year, or even after a high water event. The fast water channels or cuts usually are the same, and if you look long enough, you will find fish in them.

Fishmonger
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/25 21:20:20 (permalink)
After I defended you on your other question, I saw this.

This is a ridiculous question. If there were any less fished spots,
you'd have to give your right arm, and all your fishing tackle,
plus cash to get that info.  Maybe.

Think before you post, or are you a masochist?

flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1495
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/25 21:29:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

After I defended you on your other question, I saw this.

This is a ridiculous question. If there were any less fished spots,
you'd have to give your right arm, and all your fishing tackle,
plus cash to get that info.  Maybe.

Think before you post, or are you a masochist?

Give the kid a break. So what, it's a valid question. He hasn't been to Erie, and all those articles about Erie don't tell you EVERYTHING...
Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/25 21:33:14 (permalink)
Pete,

You used to be such a nice guy at one time...lol.

Hope things are well for ya!

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/25 21:41:48 (permalink)
Not only are there people from PA fishing these two waterways, but also people from about 5 surrounding states.  So, that should just about sum it up for you.  Of course, some spots get hit harder than others, but I have found I could always find a place to fish and be confident that there are fish to be caught where I'm fishing.  This comes from experimentation and seeking some general info being careful not to ask for too much.  Put your time in, move around, and be respectful to others and I'm sure you'll have some memorable experiences.  Good luck to you.

FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/25 21:47:01 (permalink)
Doc,

I did put a smiley in.

I'm bitter. 7 mile is basically gone. The aquarium hole is maybe a foot deep. No more pool at footbridge. I may have to rethink where my ashes
are going. I caught maybe a half dozen there last season.

Anyway, doing OK, wasn't trying to be mean. I may be fishing Elk this
year. But I'll find my own spots. East side sucks.

Hey, but at least the stock market and my 401K are doing well.

Hope all is well for you too.

Pete

Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/25 22:12:13 (permalink)
LOL - Pete - I knew you were jesting - hence I said what I did with the lol at the end.

I remember fishing 7-mile hours at a time without being converged upon.  This was even on weekends!  I remember a buddy of mine and I fishing that during a Steeler/Raider playoff game some time ago.  We fished it for 5 hrs all by ourselves.  We had a blast.

Interesting how streams really change over time.

Glad to hear you are doing well.  Might see ya during one of my trips north!

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
Earl4316
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/26 12:37:33 (permalink)
your best bet is to take a nice long hike can't promise you'll be alone but you might luck out and find some nice room if you're willing to walk
dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/26 14:32:39 (permalink)
or take a leisurely non-fishing trip up now and go for a walk and scout places you'd like to fish!  There are plenty of maps, aerial photos, reports, books, etc on the subject that you should take the time and review for you're own sake!  You can't go to Erie thinking one spot, your best chance at success is being familiar with the surroundings, conditions, and various location...cause when the time is right you might not be able to read the stream like you can now!!  Go up and check it out yourself, firsthand, cause only you can draw the conclusion of where you want to fish.
Big Indian
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/27 18:56:58 (permalink)
I have noticed if you are willing to walk the creeks you will find less people.  The people you do encounter are normally really nice because they are trying to do the same as you; get away from the idiots that have no etiquette.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/27 22:02:59 (permalink)
if the original poster is actually still reading these...
Fishusa provides maps of the streams...use them.  Take a walk, I can't emphasize it enough.  You will find less crowded spots, and once we get some good rain, there will be fish throughout the streams by late october.  They move fast, you can catch them throughout the whole place, not just in holes with big pods of fish and 30 peopLE surrounding it.  WE JUST NEED RAIN!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
schlemoc
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/28 17:24:35 (permalink)
I have to second fishing faster water.  Many years ago after Bughawk came out to fish for a little bit he explained the advantages of fishing faster water.  The next day I hit up the fast water between manchester hole and the falls.  I was the only one fishing the cuts while others were packed in at both locations.  I managed to have a great day hooking into at least 10 and losing all my white flies.  The color of the day was white.  Definately do some scouting, but keep in mind that the fish have to go through the fast water to get to the pools.
fishmonger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: ARE THERE SPOTS THAT DON"T GET FISHED ON THE NUT AND ELK? 2008/09/28 19:06:41 (permalink)
Fish the easy places, leave the fast water for me.

Fishmonger
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: