Stream Mouth Steelheading

Author
ScrambledEgger
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/22 20:36:47 (permalink)

Stream Mouth Steelheading

I tried fishing Elk Creek Access at the mouth the other day with South winds..it was flat calm and I hooked into one but with 4# test line, my little Cleo is probably in Canada by now.  What size line should be used?  Do minnow imitation stick baits work or just spoons?  Are South winds the only time to try the lake or if it is North winds but under a certain MPH is it possible?

2 Replies Related Threads

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Stream Mouth Steelheading 2008/09/22 21:21:38 (permalink)
    You'll know when the time is right to fish the lake, the lake herself will certainly let you you in on it, trust me.  I, personally, just do not use anything less than 6lb test when steelhead fishing Erie.  There really is no need to, especially with all the new technology in lines today and thin diameters vs strength.  I'll typically use 10 lb. Power Pro with a 6 or 8 lb. P-Line leader until the temps get below 30.  Then I use the 6 or 8 lb. P-Line Floroclear which has worked well for me.  I did, however rig one of my float rods with 8lb. Siglon which is what some of the centerpinners use because it floats....we'll see how that works.  My brother actually got some fish, last weekend, on a fire tiger fat bomber that I told him he was wasting his time with.  So, you certainly can get fish to hit cranks this time of year.   You may also try spinners and don't give up on the spoons  they are flashy and you can cast them a country mile as apposed to spinners and cranks.  My personal favorite is the 1/4 oz. Gator spoon which you can cast a mile in the lake.  IMO, with 4lb test this time of year, those fish WILL own you!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/09/22 21:27:11

D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Stream Mouth Steelheading 2008/09/23 08:30:22 (permalink)
    When throwing spoons in the lake i use Trilene XT in 8lb test. Casts well with hardly any memory and since i've started using it a few years ago i haven't broken off from a fish.
    Jump to: