Quality Fly Reel on a Budget

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
anchke
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/10/04 22:40:35 (permalink)
In the reels you're looking at, I don't think you can make a bad choice. But one thing to pay attention to -- weight.

Although the standard arbor reel has been replaced by the mid-arbor -- and, to some extent, the large arbor reel -- the standard arbor reel is a much lighter design and can be converted to mid-arbor status by the size of reel you buy and winding on some backing.  Even on my 6'11" #4 rod, my reel is still a standard arbor with about a 3.25" diameter. So the catalog would prolly say it's for #5-6 lines, but it balances perfectly on my shorter, lighter rod.

OTOH, depending on the rod, your outfit might balance better with a larger arbor reel. A 9' rod tends to get nose heavy with a light reel which makes me throw hook casts (curve left). Maybe others don't have the same trouble.

Anyhoo, check the weight in the brochure. Don't just bounce it in your hand. Strap it on the rod. The clerk shouldn't mind because -- muy importante -- some reel seats don't secure well in some rod grips. And no one can tell you what's what. You have to try it.

With reel and line in place, your outfit should balance at the grip. I get debate on this at times, but I really don't like an outfit in which the rod tip is constantly nosing down like it's a willow fork looking for water.
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/10/15 22:55:59 (permalink)
Well, I stopped by a local flyshop today and I think I'm developing a love affair with a BBS III.  Its much more than I wanted to spend, but when I start expanding my menagerie to include a 4 wt. and maybe a steelhead/bass rod, the BBS III can handle them both (4-7wt. lines, I'll just need a second spool).  It'll be the second instance of a good reel pulling double duty in my collection, as my Shimano Sahara 750 splits time between my ultralight and my noodle rod, changing spools from 2 to 6 lb. as the targetted fish changes.

It's not for sure just yet, but I think that this is a wise move.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: