Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/18 22:59:19 (permalink)

Quality Fly Reel on a Budget

I'd like to take my 5/6 wt. fly rod up to Erie for steel  this fall and winter, but I dont trust the drag on the reel that came in the starter kit at all.  It moves almost equally easy in either direction!  And while that may be okay for regular trout, I need a decent drag to have a chance at turning steel.

I've been shopping around, and setting a limit, and right now, that limit is no more than $80.  I know that isn't much, but I think I can get something good for that price.  I've done some shopping, and it looks like the "second tier" models from several companies might be right up my alley.

From Redington, I was looking at the Red.Fly 2.

From Orvis, either the standard Battenkill or the Rocky Mtn. LA.

From Pflueger, the Supreme

And finally, Okuma, who seems to kave the biggest variety in my price range.  Also, I like what I'm hearing about NOT hearing the Okumas while you're reeling in, only clicking when the drag engages.  From Okuma, the reels that caught my eye were the Sierra, Magnitude, and SLV.

Overall, I think the SLV might be the best buy, but I'd like to hear any reviews or advice the community has to offer.

31 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/18 23:24:16 (permalink)
    I have a Magnitude, to be honest I bought it, put backing on it, and used it about 3 times.  This was about 2 years ago, I purchased it to fill in the gap until a replacement came for my other "broken" steelhead reel.  It did a perfectly fine job handling some steel.  As a matter of fact I still have the reel and I will certainly part with it for cheap if you are interested.  It is the 7/8 but, they are relatively small diameter reels and would be fine on a 5/6.    
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 00:11:18 (permalink)
    Check out the Pflueger Summit. Great looking, very good performing
    reel.  I got one last year, the 5/6. Smooth disc drag, easy adjustment.
    Next step up is the Trion, which you may also find for just a little more, and I expect it would be as good or better.

All reviews I've read on the Summit have been very positive. Check them
    yourself.
    post edited by FiveMilePete - 2008/10/01 15:26:16
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 06:34:54 (permalink)
    I bought a okuma SLV for a spare last year when we went to alaska & my son broke his
    rod the first day so he fished one of my spares rods with the SLV for 10 days & it was
    great, no problem with the drag & it was not a heavy reel for a 8-9 weight & we caught salmon
    steehead & large rainbows for the money I think it is a good reel
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 09:08:05 (permalink)
    Thanks all!

Esox, I appreciate the offer, but theres just two things.  One, if I'm gonna be dropping money on a reel, I want to make sure I have the reel to match the rod.  Two, I read or heard some good advice and it said to actually TRY any reel before you buy it.  Sometimes a great reel just doesnt feel right, I guess.  So while I definitely might have otherwise been interested, I think I've got to pass this time.  Still, thanks for the thumbs up on the Magnitude!

Also, I was thinking about this, and if and when I decide to add another rod to the back of my car (where most all of my rods can be found, most of the time...you know...just in case), it will most likely be an 8'-0" 4wt.  Could I (and would it be an economically good idea) to get a 4/5 wt. reel now, to use with my 5/6 wt. rod now, that I could then later move the reel (4/5) to a 4wt?
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 09:33:43 (permalink)
    i have tons of Ukuma reels.  Sierra, Airframe, Magnitude and SLV.  i've landed steelhead on the airframe and SLV.  the SLV is my favorite of the ones that i have.  it's designed real tough, i've dropped it a number of times, not a scratch.  you can get an SLV on ebay relatively cheap.  check out 59gremlin on there.
    post edited by razmatazz05 - 2008/09/19 12:19:05
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 11:27:23 (permalink)
    I have an Okuma Magnitude that I use on my #4 rod. Very good reel at a very good price.

I'd also check out the Orvis mid-arbor and the new LL. Bean MA. Both are fine reels, and the retailers have "no Qs asked" return policies.

But since you're looking ahead, I'd say to look at the basic, old style Orvis Battenkill, now selling, I think, for $75 for the 5/6 model which is the one you should prolly get. This reel has a disc drag, is small enough that it is fine on a 8' #4 but could also handle up to a #7 in a pinch, is  light in weight, has good backing capacity, will give years of service -- and it has a handsome, traditional look to it.  I own two plus a third spool. Like 'em a lot.
    hunterdeneugene
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 12:07:08 (permalink)
    I have an Okuma Airframe which is the first Okuma I bought.  It has caught many steelies and salmon.  I also have an Okuma Sierra, same thing and last year I bought an SLV and it performed flawlessly on Salmon River Kings and coho's.  I would recommend the SLV highly but I have not had a problem with any of them.  The SLV is on my dedicated salmon set up and the Sierra is on my steelhead rod.  I also have a dedicated steelie noodle rod set up with an Okuma spinning reel and a dedicated salmon set up with an Okuma spinning reel, and both of those also  perform without a hitch.  I would recommend Okuma highly.  Check E-bay....they have smokin deals sometimes....
    Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 17:10:28 (permalink)
    Cold,
    I suggest you get the Orvis 5/6 battenkill or an Orvis mid arbor.  Both are great reels and can be used for both trout and steelhead!  Having said that you could keep the reel that came with your outfit and use it for the 4wt rod when it comes along.That way you won't have to buy another reel for the 4 wt.
    Just a thought!

fly fish....save a worms life
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 19:35:11 (permalink)
    Fly Logic FLP model 567 has a great drag system and is made in America, best drag I have ever used--can be found online for about 70 bucks--  2 colors, black and platinum--not a shiny platinum--sort of walnut creek bank gray

I have used the Okuma AirFrame 7/9 for salmon and had no problems with it at all.....my friend uses this reel as his main reel for salmon............it is cheap too
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 21:40:36 (permalink)
    If you are going to go with an inexpensive reel you are going to get what you pay for. Use the reel you have and use the drag that God gave you. Your fingers or palm. When you save up enough cash go out and get yourself a Mid Arbor Battenkill. Its not super expensive and you will be getting a quality reel. No nead to spend money on something you are not going to like and just want to upgrade the following season. Its cheaper in the long run to just wait and save up for something of quality. I have fished Okumas and Fluegers and they are junk. Some people will say different, maybe some people have lower standards and dont mind resetting the drag all the time. I am really happy I never paid for one even though they are inexpensive.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/19 21:50:07 (permalink)
    Battenkill Mid Arbor.  Period.  It is a great reel and you will NEVER need to upgrade. 

(swinger, looks like we agree on something......)
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/20 00:13:13 (permalink)
    I would easily go with the orvis battenkill large or mid arbor. You can't go wrong. My buddies dad has the rocky mountain turbine and loves it. That would be a good option also.

DAS BOOT!
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/20 00:28:21 (permalink)
    I have two Orvis Battenkills. The older one is an 8/9 weight made in England. I bought it 8-9 years ago for around $125. I have seen them go on E-bay for $50-$60. I picked up a Battenkill Mid-arbor from e-bay for $52 earlier this year. It is brand new, but was built in Korea. It seems very solid. I think that the Battenkill drags are the best. I also have two Okuma fly reels. My Integrity is an 8 wt. I picked it up from a catalog - "Jerry's Sports" for around $55. It works very well in the tribs. Spend a reasonable amount of money now and you will have an outfit that will last for a long time. Take care of them though, clean, lube, carried in padded cases, etc.

Fishmonger
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/20 05:19:01 (permalink)
    I have a Battenkill 5/6 with 3 spools that's still going strong after 12 years.
    The line guard and pawl had worn and have been replaced. Parts for these reels are relatively inexpensive.
    One spool has a slight wobble. It was the spool I used for my 6wt. steelhead line. It's important to keep the spindle and bushing clean and lightly lubricated.

Gone Fishing
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/22 15:26:53 (permalink)
    Can anyone compare & contrast for me the standard Battenkill, the BBS, and the rocky mtn?  I see the differences aesthetically, but in terms of what they each do for your fishing experience compared to the others?
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/22 16:03:03 (permalink)
    Cold,
     It's quality.
    BBS is machined and lighter.
    Battenkill is cast.
    Not sure of the Rocky Mountain. Never handled one.

Gone Fishing
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/22 17:46:53 (permalink)
    if u want a great reel at a great price get a okuma

slv or intergity
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/22 20:14:57 (permalink)
    I believe that a battenkill can not be be beat in your price range these are classic reels that have stood the test of time. Okuma have good reviews, but the battenkills have been around forever and are still great reels..
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/22 21:03:55 (permalink)
    Dano, is the machined vs. cast really going to cause a noticeable difference in the "feel" of the reel?  Also, can you set up the orvis reels to eliminate the clicking while reeling in?  I know it shouldn't be a deal maker/breaker, but I really like that feature of many of the Okumas.  Finally, what kind of guarantee do you get on Orvis reels?  Just defects in workmanship?  1 year?  25?  Lifetime?  Anyone have any personal accounts of Orvis customer service with their reels?  I figure part of that price tag is paying for great customer support, so I'd like to know what my money might be getting me.
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/22 23:30:25 (permalink)
    I recently needed a new reel foot for a battenkill large arbor had it sent to me in a few days..
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/23 06:55:35 (permalink)
    Cold, The reels are going to balance differently on your rod. That's about the only real (pun) difference.
    They keep making fishing rods lighter so now reel weight is more of a factor than it used to be.
    You can either run the click pawl engaged or disengaged. Disengaged gives no click in or out.
    Not sure of the warranty but they do have a website.

Gone Fishing
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/23 07:11:13 (permalink)
    Thanks.

I've been to the website, I guess I need to find out if they have a section about their warranty plan, which they probably do.

With the click pawl disengaged, do you still get the benefits of your drag?  Or is it just kind of free spooling?
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/23 17:20:30 (permalink)
    All of the Orvis reels are disk drag so there's really no need for the clicker. But I kind of like that classic sound, especially once it's broken in.
    I found the Orvis warranty page and it states all reels are lifetime against defects and does not cover normal wear or accidents. But, they do repair old reels and from what I've heard, they do good work and are reasonably priced.

Gone Fishing
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/23 17:41:22 (permalink)
    In my opinion, the Teton Tioga is the best value for the money. I think they sell for around $130. The drag on them is unbeatable for the price. Orvis and pflueger are fine for the money, but the drags on them are just not as good as the Teton.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/23 19:18:53 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  That's pretty much what I got out of the Orvis guarantee as well.  Sometimes its tough to make hears or tails out of those guarantees with the way they're worded, because they're trying to sell you on them while they explain what it covers.

As far as the Teton, while it may well be a great reel, itsjust shy of double what I'm looking to spend. One good thing I've learned from my economics classes is that if a given option doesn't meet a basic criteria (in this case, cost), eliminate it from the set and dont look back.  Teasing myself with a $130 reel wont help me decide which $40-90 reel is best for me.

So I'm thinking a standard battenkill may be the way to go, for value, cost, customer service, and availability.  The bar stock is in consideration as is the Okuma SLV, for opposite reasons (BBS pros being better features for a slightly higher price tag, the SLV with slightly more modest support and features, for a slightly more modest price tag).  The Pflueger Summit was in there...but I don't want to buy online, plain and simple.  I'm a firm believer in seeing, touching, handling, and testing an item like this before you buy it, and while I'm sure the Summit is a great reel, because I cant find it to be had anywhere I've checked, it remains, to my suspicious wallet, a pig in a poke.

I was in Gander Mtn. and got to fiddle with a few of the mid-level Redington reels...I knew my reel wasn't top of the line, but ****...now that I know what I'm missing out on in terms of smoothness and feel, I'm really looking forward to upgrading in that department at some point.

Now if only the job would pay more to support my fishing addiction...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/09/30 19:24:33 (permalink)
    Just saw my Fish USA newsletter and I think maybe they bumped this onto their email just for me: Redington CD reels 35% off.

Anyone have any experience with this type of reel?  Its a $120+ reel on sale for $80+.

What's more, if I go up there THIS weekend, like I wanted to LAST weekend, I might get to try it out (otherwise I wont order it online).

If you've used one, lets hear the good, bad, and everything in between.
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/10/01 12:30:41 (permalink)
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/10/01 12:36:02 (permalink)
    Is there a price on it?  I did a little hunting and couldnt find one.  I'm gonna really **** off the poor clerk that gets stuck with my trying every reel. 
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Quality Fly Reel on a Budget 2008/10/04 08:25:50 (permalink)
    cold, looks like they are about 70.00

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: