New with flyrod

Author
pacaster
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/07 13:07:17 (permalink)

New with flyrod

I have been salmon fishing for 20 years ,but never with a flyrod. Here is my new dilema. The transition from the flyline to the leader I used a nail knot. When I apply the pressure a salmon would, the outer coating of the cabelas prestige flyline rips off. Also not sure how I should rig this rod. I have a 9 ft. 9 wt TFO  and I usually fish in town between the two bridges. Any Help?

7 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: New with flyrod 2008/09/07 13:35:45 (permalink)
    a nail knot is the correct connection . While you did not say what # test or diameter leader (line) you're using to connect to the fly line. My assumption would be it is to light and cutting the fly line. You want a heavy line (leader) connection such as Amnesia 25 > 30# or Trilene Big Game 35# to fly line .Coat it with loon knot sense or even super glue then taper down from there using a blood or surgeons knot.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: New with flyrod 2008/09/07 16:56:05 (permalink)
    I had the same prob. I got upset with the nailknot. finally tied a loop onto the end of fly line and attatched the leader to that. it wasnt pretty but it was effective. then after a salmon took my entire flyline up the river (because the cabelas guy tied a poor knot to the backing) I bought a newfly line with a loop on the end. Like the other guys say use a heavy weight mono for the leader. I screwed up and used 20 lb flouro (pollock moment). It cut into my line and it will be just a matter of time until it breaks. I also saw a guy with straight line on the fly reel. no flyline or backing at all. He was catching them. hope that helps.

CP
    Charlie_1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: New with flyrod 2008/09/07 20:41:54 (permalink)
    Hey guys
    On my set up I use 30 backing and then I put on 20lb shooting line off of that (its cheaper than fly line), I tie that off to 12lb flo carb linewith a nail knot, and then I tie a loop knot so i can go down to 6lb line I had lots of luck with that set up last yr
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: New with flyrod 2008/09/07 21:04:08 (permalink)
    Yea I did fail to mention . Nail knot your leader (about 18") to fly line, tie a perfection loop in the end of your leader . From here another perfection loop in the other downsized leader section, then blood knot the rest of tippets.
    You can also just do a perfection loop in your fly line then do a loop to loop connection.
    Here is a Link for Knots:
    http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

NEVER put mono line on your reel !! it WILL RUIN it.
    the mono will stretch while fighting a fish, while reeling up this line it will be tight against the arbor, once it starts to relak it will expand and possibly bending the spool & arbor

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: New with flyrod 2008/09/08 09:52:19 (permalink)
    Nice link Tuna,

Tight Lines(knots)

OldSalt

ps, I'll be fishing the river 14th to 18th, you gonna be at dsr?
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: New with flyrod 2008/09/08 21:00:09 (permalink)
    never new that tuna good info thanks I'm glad I didnt do that. think I might buy a noodle rod up there. friend says theirs a Cortland place to get it at. I need a back-up

CP
    pacaster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: New with flyrod 2008/09/09 10:30:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Tuna. Tossed the spin cast, Rigged up the flypole and chompin at the bit to give it a try this weekend.
    Jump to: