first trip

Author
wezel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/31 20:08:36 (permalink)

first trip

Hello all I am going to be making a trip in late october. This is my first time I am going with some other people that have made a few trips but from what i gather they know as much as me.We will be taking boats I have a 17 ft modified v hull with a 25 hp. on it . Just trying to get some info on if i should be trolling, drifting, anchored, or just leave the boat at home and fish from land.Sounds to me like the people im going with usually just use egg sacks and they have always fished from shore. Any info to get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: first trip 2008/08/31 21:02:04 (permalink)
    I would say if you don't have a drift boat leave it at home.
    End of Oct. will be near the end of the Salmon, but there will be Steel Head around.
    Yeah- you can't go wrong with egg sacs.
    Don't worry about buying ahead of time. There are many shops up there & they have a seemingly endless supply.

You'll want to bottom bounce a little, or just above in the water column most of the time.
    Be prepared to lose some gear. The rocks & fish are hard on stuff.
    Buy good hooks. There is no substitute. They will bend & break.

If you haven't booked a place to stay you may want to look into it.

You can wade in the river as long as it's safe. Wear waders with studded boots. They may save you from getting wet, and maybe your life.
    People do drown up there in Salmon season. Know your limits.

It'll be a fun time. Spend some dough in a shop when you get there. They'll try to help steer you where the fish are.

Lyrical
    wezel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: first trip 2008/08/31 21:21:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice. Hoping I can talk someone into going a little earlier in the season too and i am pretty sure they have a place booked already for oct. there will be about ten of us
    Jump to: