another twin lakes post

Author
Invicta
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 484
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/16 18:11:35 (permalink)

another twin lakes post

Fished the lower lake today from about 12:30pm-3:30pm. Between my friend and I we caught a few trout each and missed a bunch more. The rain and clouds definately helped, the fish seemed to be a lot more active than they have been. Actually I think the trout were a little too active and frisky today, every time we would hook one it would jump and flop around so much that it would throw the hook. All in all though not a bad outing.

I was surprised to see so many dead fish around the shoreline today. Does anybody know how to properly release a fish? Just within about 20' of where I was fishing there must have been two dozen dead fish! And they werent all just trout, there were bluegills, crappie, perch, and catfish, all just laying there dead.

As usual there was plenty of litter along the shoreline. I rounded up an entire bag of garbage in just the small area of the rocks that I fished. Please pack out what you packed in, and it doesnt hurt to pick up somebody elses trash while your at it.

5 Replies Related Threads

jbbutlers
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: another twin lakes post 2007/05/16 20:29:45 (permalink)
    What bait were you using for the trout Invicta?
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: another twin lakes post 2007/05/16 20:32:13 (permalink)
    I noticed the same thing about dead fish Saturday fishing a stream for trout. Only guess that it is bait fisherman and they are letting the fish swallow the bait. Then letting the fish go. The thing that had me puzzled was that the fishs stomach was busted open on all of them.
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: another twin lakes post 2007/05/16 20:38:05 (permalink)
    the bait that seemed to work the best was waxworms, i was just using them on the bottom.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: another twin lakes post 2007/05/16 21:25:31 (permalink)
    2dog,hi haven't seen you at crooked creek lately. about the trout, I used to see trout that ate too much corn from chummers, actualy burst open because they couldn't digest it. that was one reason Pay lakes outlawed it.  did you notice any laying around the area? as far as twin lakes, the wind we have been having caused most of the dead fish to gather in the coves near the breast & near the boat house. but I agree that a lot of guys don't use common sense when releasing fish. some of them get mad when they catch a panfish instead of trout, then rip the hook out.   sam
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: another twin lakes post 2007/05/16 21:46:11 (permalink)
    i fished loyalhanna from the longbridge down and the lower lake (twin lakes) yesterday and noticed a ton of dead fish. couple of my favorite smallie holes had dead trout and suckers all over the place and the wooded side of the lower lake at twin lakes had a ton of dead panfish and trout. i dont think this is a release problem thats causing it. while i was at twin lakes i saw WCO Evancho leaving with a net. i talked to him for a minute about beaver run but didnt ask if the net had anything to do with the fish kill. my guess is the sun + heat + lack of rain left te water severly deoxygenated and thus the fish kill.

btw the bass action (size aside) was pretty hot. lots of small males hanging out near the shore. may not be trophy fishing but its always a blast catching big numbers of smaller fish.
    Jump to: