New Spot

Author
vinestbrew
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 418
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/25 17:47:36 (permalink)

New Spot

I live in the Pittsburgh area and was looking to try a new spot on the rivers tonight any suggestions. OH YEAh I'm looking for flatheads..

7 Replies Related Threads

Ax
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: New Spot 2008/08/26 12:19:40 (permalink)
    Dont know to many Flathead guys going to be real quick to respond with their spots.  Seems to me like Flat head fishing is like morel picking.  No one says a word.

Hope you find a spot.  I think I have heard guys talk about fishing near PNC Park?
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: New Spot 2008/08/26 15:06:06 (permalink)
    this is all too true.

But for the complete Novice there is those well known spots.  The major locks all have trails to there tailwaters.  Putting a hand-sized or bigger bluegill and you do have a chance... you'll have a much BETTER chance at some honey-hole you discover that doesn't get obnoxious fishing pressure...

but to do that you will have to read up on them, start guessing and pay your dues.  And give up the easy access Tailwater spots where everyone fishes...

Though I don't fish in the city; I've still spent a good many hours this year guessing (to find the best catfishing spots)

good luck
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: New Spot 2008/08/26 17:19:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jolie

this is all too true.

But for the complete Novice there is those well known spots.  The major locks all have trails to there tailwaters.  Putting a hand-sized or bigger bluegill and you do have a chance... you'll have a much BETTER chance at some honey-hole you discover that doesn't get obnoxious fishing pressure...

but to do that you will have to read up on them, start guessing and pay your dues.  And give up the easy access Tailwater spots where everyone fishes...

Though I don't fish in the city; I've still spent a good many hours this year guessing (to find the best catfishing spots)

good luck

Yep.

I've not had the time to flathead fish, but twice this year.  Skunked both times.  That's the way it goes when you want to find some new spots.  You've got to put in some fishless nights.

Go out and explore for accesses during the day.  A rainy day, or winter time.  Mark those spots on your GPS or a map, and go back later to flathead fish.  That's how I do it, but I'm no pro.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: New Spot 2008/08/27 13:42:29 (permalink)
    vinest, probably not an option but mosquito lake north of youngstown has a huge population of flatheads.  personally saw four brought in a few years back during the early goose season that weighed a total of 160 pounds.  one was close to 50 pounds, i believe.  this lake is a little over an hour from picksberg.

vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Spot 2008/09/01 23:28:02 (permalink)
    I have put in quite a few fishless nights. I appreciate the responses and in no way was looking for specific spots, maybe just a general area i could explore such as Ohio creek mouths. I know it's annoying when people try to get info spoon fed to them. regardless I think I may have found my new spot the other night lots of action and the guy next to us caught a 35 lber..
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: New Spot 2008/09/02 11:40:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: vinestbrew

I have put in quite a few fishless nights. I appreciate the responses and in no way was looking for specific spots, maybe just a general area i could explore such as Ohio creek mouths. I know it's annoying when people try to get info spoon fed to them. regardless I think I may have found my new spot the other night lots of action and the guy next to us caught a 35 lber..

Where is it?

I like big bends in the rivers, and barge cuts, eddies, etc.
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Spot 2008/09/02 22:51:46 (permalink)
    On the Allegeny.. PM me
    Jump to: