Ice Is Nice

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/14 08:37:50 (permalink)
Report : 1/13/14 Lake George/Schroon Lake
I gotta say, right now the ice is not so nice.. A week ago from Sunday there was 8" of snow on Schroon Lake and then the rains came, HEAVY rains.. We waddled through slush and water on Monday 1/6 and sat in the shanty in pouring rain all day.. The fishing was good but conditions out side not so.. Luckily that night the temps dropped and the water on top became solid.. It made for easy walking on tues but 30 mph winds and single digit temps made again conditions rough outside.. I never put a tip-up in and sat in the shanty jigging the 1 hole I drilled all day.. My friend gave it the old collage try and put 3 traps in.. Big mistake as he had to drill holes around his traps to get them back.. Tough day for sure..
Now with all that rain, once again we got a TON more this past sat.. That caused major flooding to the incoming tribs of the lakes.. So much water coming in with so little area to go out it made the lake very dirty and the water pushed up onto the shorelines making access to the ice difficult.. We had to walk through 6" of shoreline water out about 5' to get on a solid 11" of ice.. The fishing was terrible, while last week I could see my lure an easy 10' down the hole , yesterday it was less then 3' visibility.. These lake trout are all about attraction.. If they can't see the lure then your success becomes slim..
As for Lake George, We were really starting to gain ground on the ice until again, the weather put a big shot in the arm ... The area I fished had a good 5" of clear black ice but as you seen in the pics, open water where I really wanted to set up... Around 8:30 am yesterday the wind picked up a little and with the warm temps the ice was going CRAZY... It was popping and even moved my shanty a few times.. It was not the sounds of Ice growing but the sounds of ice shifting from so much water coming in with nowhere to go up or out into the open water.. My friend was not comfortable out there in 100 fow with all that going on and wanted to fish a more solid lake so we picked up and headed out.. I felt fine although it was a funny feeling..
I sure hope winter comes back soon, very soon or what usually is good fishing right through March just might be a short season this year...
I will be spending 3 days up in Schroon on Sat-mon so no reports till the...
Be safe if you go out on this not so nice ice :
Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/15 20:31:39 (permalink)
I've got family coming in from out of town on either the weekend of 15th or the following. Probably a bust for me, but will try my best to make it.

John, 800 bucks for a lodge for a weekend??? That's nuts!!!
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/18 19:16:59 (permalink)
Well I got a call Thursday that Gander mnt had one of the shanty I had been wanting.   Somebody ordered it and did not want it.   Picked it up Friday after the Ball game and took it out today.  With no time to practice in the basement, I could not get it set up for the life of me.  It cut my trip short today.    Everyone I talked to had no bites and I probably drilled 15  holes with no activity on the sonar so I packed it up.  The heave back was HORRIBLE with some fresh snow on the ice as I did not bring the smitty,  that was mistake #2.  The jet sled was just acting like a plow.    

I set it up in the basement a few times with my wife and then by myself so I think I have it now.   I will say I will be in the market for a one man flip next year or so.  

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/18 19:44:27 (permalink)
Fishing is good , ice is nice .. Than You Jack

RichW
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/18 21:16:47 (permalink)
Tuna , think the ice is back near you?  Getting cold in NJ again.  I have to head to Chicago - Wisconsin  for four days.  Don't think the high is gonna get out of the teens there!   One good thing I like traveling there is stopping at Bass Pro - Gurnee, Il.   I personally think Bass Pro has more to offer than Cabela's in Pa.    Bought some jigging lures there last year and power magots, never got to try them due to the NJ Heatwave last year.
I am getting antsy to take an Ice fishing trip up North!
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/19 11:14:48 (permalink)
RichW-You might be correct when comparing the two stores but I learned that BPS has a very different pricing system between online and in store purchases. 
I was down in Myrtle Beach  for a golf vacation and frequented the local BPS in North Myrtle.  I purchased some l bass lures thinking that the pricing would be universally the same like LL Beans, Orvis and others.  I compared the prices when I got home and to my dismay the in store prices were 25% higher than the catalog.  I called BPS to see if they would honor the catalog price, they refused.  Their position was that the stores can charge whatever they want and the company did not adhere to a universal pricing format.  I cancelled my line of credit and do not do business with BPS.        
r2g2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 152
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/19 11:54:09 (permalink)
Was at Cabelas in Hartford once and found the store prices were not the same as the catalog. Employee told me the stores are allowed to charge 'whatever the local market' can handle.
 They did, however, honor the catalog prices if ya brought in the page or putor copy of the merchandise you were after- they did not appreciate my polite request to look it up on their putor rather than my having to make a long round trip to do it at home.
 Buyer beware------
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/19 14:39:27 (permalink)
Hey guys. I'm just out lost on Lake George ice. Fishing and conditions been good . Pics on Monday . I will say its pretty awesome when the fish are as big as the rod :)

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/19 14:58:19 (permalink)
hot tuna
Hey guys. I'm just out lost on Lake George ice. Fishing and conditions been good . Pics on Monday . I will say its pretty awesome when the fish are as big as the rod :)

As big as the 11' switch,they must be sharks!!!!
I stopped dancing for now Rich as the cold will be here soon....enjoy!....I'm talking about real artic cold not this chill we're having today.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/19 18:55:20 (permalink)
Ice was not nice for me this weekend or let me rephrase.   Ice was good fishing was not.  My favorite perch spot has been a no go due to shore water.  Tried Oneida this weekend with laughable results.  Yesterday for Waldo's   with not a blip on the screen  and today for perch.  A few dinks and nothing more.  Could see the fish flasher, but they were tight lipped.  
Fishing out of the shanty is nice  and not so cold, but it makes you lazy and not want to hole hop and move around.   Next weekend Sandy pond should be locked back up

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/20 14:14:06 (permalink)
Jack , I gotta thank you again .. It was just enough .. Pics soon as we head back from an epic adventure .. Wild , not stocked , chromers as long as the rod I say :)

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/20 17:28:41 (permalink)
Clint I heard of folks out on the pond this past weekend... a friend of mine showed me some pics of a 27",2-25" and 3 other keepers he jigged out of oneida this past weekend. Between the waldos and lakers that tuna keeps sending me I'm getting pretty Amped for some ice action!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/20 18:35:44 (permalink)
Great Weekend with friends and family on the ice..
We had to beat back the crowds on day 1 after arriving on the ice at O'dark 10 am but after that we locked down the spot.. lmao
A few random pics of good times had by many:
Tough crowd:

base camp:

fish on:

dinner:)

Ice is nice again and heading to perch land soon..

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/20 19:26:13 (permalink)
Awesome HT looking good.  

r2g2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 152
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/20 20:01:45 (permalink)
WOW
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/20 21:02:56 (permalink)
Those are some nice ones, HT!  We went uphill on ice today with crampons and found bear tracks all over the place! Last week brought them out of hibernation. I'm glad the cranky suckers went back in. At least it looked like the three sets I saw were a few days old. Good luck next week.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/21 01:07:32 (permalink)
Nice fish!!!!
My dance brought another artic vortex for you ice guys,this one is going to last awhile so enjoy it.
I'm going to hibernate with the bears.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/21 11:06:59 (permalink)
thanks guys.. even though my posts are just plain useless, it's all good fishing to me.. seems I will not be making any trips to the Great Salmon river until April.. It's just way to hard for me to leave the comfort and closeness of the warm shanty and short travel for the expense of standing in freezing waters hoping for a bite amongst others..
This weekend (sat) it will be a local lake in search again of those Jumbo Perch that we found last year.. Then monday back after those slimy natural reproducing Lakers..
The sat before the super bowl will most likely find me lost in Laker land and once again for a weekend get away with the wife on Lake George on the 15'th of feb..
Thats my 3 week plan and may throw some before or after work trip in the mix..

Jack,
You did well with the dance as sat was a beautiful day with zero wind and bright sunshine.. We never even sat in the shanty and it was sweatshirt weather.. Sunday & Monday were BRUTAL wind and cold so we never got out of the warmth of the shanty..
I see the deep freeze is on so you can relax by the fire for awhile while I go braze the wind and snow ..

Hope to see some of you soon or maybe when the snow melts and the ice is gone in April while I will be going stir crazy waiting for the Stripers out back and the ADK ponds and streams to warm
Peace & Tuna

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/21 11:58:18 (permalink)
Congrats HT, beautiful fish.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/24 11:06:27 (permalink)
Awesome and tuna!!! Those fillets look delicious!!! I hope to get a shot at them this winter
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 00:07:58 (permalink)
Want to get out tomorrow, but I think the wind may keep me in.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 00:29:05 (permalink)
Clint, Shanties and heaters Rule..
I got out for a few hrs before work today scouting the perch grounds instead of insulating my pipes .. dummy.
I was literally down to just a long sleeve shirt.. There was no wind.. We shall see how tomorrow pans out..

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 11:05:44 (permalink)
The place I go for perch tends to be a wind tunnel.   Although I am getting good with putting up the shanty I am a bit leery about setting it up in high winds.   That said I  made the call to go to the younger nephews Bball game this AM and watch the SU game at 1:00.   Although the wind is blowing pretty good it is looking like I made the wrong call and should have went as tomorrow looks to be a little less windy AND snowy AND colder.  We will see how Sunday morning pans out if the snow is tapering I will head out and try.  Tapped out on $$$$$ so I do not have a great heater yet.   I have one of those big ones that go on a BBQ tank, but it is a pain to haul out by myself.   I am going to try a Colman gas lantern for heat as it should put out a bit and not so heavy to pull out

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 13:54:07 (permalink)
Check out this laker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsyuFJIBpY#t=473
post edited by Clint S - 2014/01/25 13:59:21

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 14:18:37 (permalink)
That's a big laker, but about half the size of the world record. HT probably has ones not too far off that one sniffing around. A friend of mine got a 28 out of George, I'm guessing that ones in that range, maybe a little more. I'm bringing the video camera, HT's due......
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 16:01:37 (permalink)
It'll be a shame that they killed that,it's too big to eat as they are not very good when they get that old and it would be better left to spawn.
I think that I read some time ago that Lakers reached the 100# mark in the Great Lakes before they were overfished and the eels got them.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 16:39:08 (permalink)
According to the video it was 43 3/4...................   Don't know about that.......

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 17:00:43 (permalink)
I ce w as fantastic today. Jumbos just got filleted and shower time before dinner.
Pics later

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 17:16:08 (permalink)
Inches. Which would put it in the low 30's.  Be like pulling some of those sharks from this year's run  out through the ice on a short rod. Fun! 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/25 19:31:21 (permalink)
Report 1/25/14 :
It's a bit of a pain to do the pic gig but I will try tomorrow.
Many, Many Jumbo Perch hit the Ice at the local secret spot today by my son and I.. It got silly as we took turns every 3 mins reeling fish up.. Over 100 10 inch plus perch were released not counting dinner..
My son had the most fish in his life fought today and yes, it was all about numbers for him..lol
He is spoiled now as his 1 hole all day was golden.. I braved the conditions and put 3 tip ups out until I got sick of leaving the heated shanty to hand line perch so I left bare hooks dangling.. Yikes on the SR.. Got 1 wind flag too..lol

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to: