Ice Is Nice

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 07:15:55 (permalink)
Not a big perch.
I wanted to see a 50 inch perch!
Oh ya and whatever would be feeding on it.
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 08:15:40 (permalink)
I've always used about 8" of wire. Cortland makes good stuff called Tyger wire that knots well. A figure 8 knot works well with wire. Sz.  4's always did it for me, but I've never bested 42".  With suckers I'd run a double hook rig- one behind the dorsal, one in the lip off a small 3 way swivel.
Pike pick up the minnow and run with it. They generally attack from the side and end up with the bait crosswise.  They'll then stop and orient it to swallow. If you pull during the initial run, you have to hope they have the hook positioned to hit home. If you pull during the pause, likely you'll just pull it away. The best  is after they move off the second time, as they now have it going down their throat.  Pike will attack relatively large prey for their size. HT probably has some finer points, and better suggestions, but that's what worked for me for many years.   10-12" suckers are the preferred bait- Not a bunch of spiny rays on their dorsal and lots of fat on them. Good eatin' for a 'gator.  Big shiners in the 7-8" range are good also.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 08:50:03 (permalink)
For when I know or target pike waters I will put 25# big game mono on for a leader. I have and carry quick strike ( 2 treble hooks ) steel leaders but rarely use them.. Just plain leftover big game line I have. For my laker- perch or walleye tip ups I rig 8# mono leaders and have caught many pike on that set up too but if I'm breaking leaders then I will switch to the 25# right away
For hooks:
All most all my tip ups are rigged with a size # 10 treble and if I'm using giant bait then I will up the treble to a size # 8 or 6 depending on the size of bait.
We have found that the small trebles produce much better hook sets right in the corner of jaw instead of a J- hook which usually results in a deep throat hook. The trebles are much easier to remove.

Bait:
It's always a good idea to put a few of the biggest shiners or suckers you can find. That said we have caught very big pike on just med or heavy shiners and caught very small pike on the biggest baits too.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 10:16:39 (permalink)
O come on Rich,time to tell the truth and nothing but.....you land the Lakers with your mouth....don't you?
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 10:24:01 (permalink)
fichy
I've always used about 8" of wire. Cortland makes good stuff called Tyger wire that knots well. A figure 8 knot works well with wire. Sz.  4's always did it for me, but I've never bested 42".  With suckers I'd run a double hook rig- one behind the dorsal, one in the lip off a small 3 way swivel.
Pike pick up the minnow and run with it. They generally attack from the side and end up with the bait crosswise.  They'll then stop and orient it to swallow. If you pull during the initial run, you have to hope they have the hook positioned to hit home. If you pull during the pause, likely you'll just pull it away. The best  is after they move off the second time, as they now have it going down their throat.  Pike will attack relatively large prey for their size. HT probably has some finer points, and better suggestions, but that's what worked for me for many years.   10-12" suckers are the preferred bait- Not a bunch of spiny rays on their dorsal and lots of fat on them. Good eatin' for a 'gator.  Big shiners in the 7-8" range are good also.

Charlie,way back many years ago when fishing "Swartwood,Paulinskill,Hopatcong,Bear,Deleware,etc. lakes" for Pickerel they would hit the minnow,make a run,pause.then make the second run and then we would set the hook.Does that bring back some memories?

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 11:13:32 (permalink)
God yes, Jack. Big pickerel are brutes. Still one of my favorite fish. I'm hoping Jersey lakes freeze up this year and are OK in Feb. to relive some of those memories with my older brother. After my sister passed, I've been paying a lot more attention to family. I talked to my niece in Portland Or. and sad to say, she's started to fish for steelhead with a spinning rod and I may have to twist my arm and go out and visit.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 12:18:16 (permalink)
Charlie,I've never been to those west coast rivers but from pictures I would think that new switch would be the ticket out there.
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 19:07:54 (permalink)
I think I am going to get the #8 trebles.   I am CHEAP,  so paying $8 to $10 for a dozen minnows every time out makes me cringe, especially when I am targeting perch for the most part. A few times a year I will spurge and get a dozen.  I usually just throw a perch or small sunfish on 2 tip ups and that's it. It's legal as long as you count them towards your daily limit and do not take them from lake to lake.  Have good enough luck like that.     The others are set for perch.
I finally picked up my Marcum pro 1 tonight so it is game on
http://www.amazon.com/Marcum-Fishing-Sonar-System-Flasher/dp/B0041INZCM

I have a Pop up lined up from someone at work because the one I wanted is sold out.  My old Clam wieghts at least 80 lb and is a bear to load in the back of my SUV

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 19:30:45 (permalink)
HT-What's the plan for this Ice Fest weekend?  Who's in? out?  What do I need to bring?  Do you have a list of places to stay?  etc...and so on.....

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 20:14:49 (permalink)
Clint,
I hear you about the bait.. The Big Pike bait that I get are $2.00 each so they are very few and far between.. Generally I buy 3 every now and then and use heavy or med shiners for warm water fish..
I do have a good tackle shop that treats me well so a little bait order goes a long way :)

When Jigging for perch or Lakers , live bait is really not necessary.. It's all about attraction and sometimes scent for Lakers.. I have found plastics or gulp tipped on jigs or spoons work just as well as live bait.. It's the electronics and seeing what is happening under the ice that makes a bigger difference.. Your eyes will light up when you see that fish appear on the screen and you will learn how to present your lure to make them strike.. Much different then blind jigging..

Gerry & crew:
You guys tell me when and I will be there, heck I'm there regardless..
Schroon lake has enough ice to drive a semi out right now and has been giving up decent lake trout on the short pole.. We have caught very large pike in there as well and at the one local shop they have a 50" on the wall from schroon.. I like that lake personally..
Lake George is better potential for bigger Lake Trout and just froze over this past week.. Most likely I wont be giving that lake a try until the weekend of Jan-17th but may swing in on my way to Schroon on Monday..

As for lodging:
Our first choice is Maple Leaf Motel on north end of Schroon Lake right off exit 28 on northway (87) .. I stayed there Monday night..
 Very good place 2 miles from where I walk on.. He likes cash over credit and the room for 2 was $60.00 out the door.. We have had 4 comfortably in there in the past.. No need to reserve ahead of time as there is always a place to stay..
In Lake George I stay at super 8 downtown.. They are $70.00 per night (2ppl cash or credit ) and again 2 miles from fishing or the winter carnival that happens in Feb...
If one was to bring their spouse for a weekend getaway, the Alp Horn Motel on Loon Lake (6 miles from schroon) is a good place with a great restaurant, a little bit pricey though but sometimes worth it.. You can walk to good fishing on Loon (pike & walleye) and is a middle spot for Schroon & Lake George..

P.S
The trail systems for sleds are out the door from the Maple leaf and the Alp Horn..

RichW
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/09 12:28:32 (permalink)
Guess we all just need to align on dates for the outing and start the menus planning.  Dime, if your interested in riding up together from NJ,  we can do that. Just drop me a PM once we have some tenative dates.  I have a Forester
 Just gotta give my wife some time to strat making the Golumpkis! I'll also need to make a run to Garfield for the Bigos and Kielbasa!
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/09 18:50:29 (permalink)
Geez I may even have to get in on this.  How long is the drive????

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

RichW
Novice Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/09 19:48:07 (permalink)
Guys, just throwing out some suggested dates.   How about the weekend of Jan 25 - Saturday  Jan 26 - Sunday  Jan  27 - Monday as starters.
That's the weekend before the SuperBowl!   Not much going other than hype for the game.  Besides I dread watching replays of my Buffalo Bills run  0-4. Need a distraction!     Thoughts?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/09 21:02:55 (permalink)
I'm down every/any weekend + a monday until March on ice somewhere .. I will say the GIANTS are now being found on fresh ice . The warming trend sat may hurt that lake if it continues longer ..I'm going to check it out sunday & monday.. 
My suggestion would be a weekend in feb on that water (lake George) if possible..
If you got the itch and want to make the trip the other waters are plenty fine and I'll be out and ready to play..

Clint.. Google/mapquest Lake George, NY.. Gotta be a 3 hr trip I'd guess.

3fan
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 668
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/10 17:29:49 (permalink)
I am good anytime after next weekend. My plan is to bring the snowmobile and all the gear I have and maybe a buddy. I personally would like to fish for lakers, never caught one and would really like to. As for food, will bring my smoker grill and big bag of charcoal and we can cook and warm stuff all day,days? Will bring some sausage, peppers onions, mac salad, pot salad, condiments, plates, rolls, meatballs, beer. Stay overnight not quite sure might make a day trip or one nighter, hate to be away from the wife and kid, still newley weds only 20 years now. I think we should pick a date and get this thing going!
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/10 17:39:29 (permalink)
John...I'm with you man. I'd like to catch lakers also. Plenty of perch pike Wally's and pannies near me. Definitely not 100% on going as I'm a newly wed of eight years myself ;)

Honestly I have no ice gear so would be a scrub in that sense. But I'm sure I can contribute something...I can get creative :)

Rich, haven't lived in jersey for over two years now... but thanks for the offer bud.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/10 19:38:56 (permalink)
any time you guys want to walk on water just give me a shout either here or pm.. My wife (29 years) knows I'm on the ice somewhere every day I'm not working, and some I am too .. It's very cool if anyone just wants come and fish for the day or plan some event.. There is no pressure,on or off the ice..lol

Just a perspective though with the sleds, Sunday there was 8"snow on the ice,, After the rain I fished in monday, things looked like this..

The snow thats left is beat on trails right.. Hate to say it but keep the snow up there..lol, just kidding .. it would be cool for you to be able to do some sledding .. Bring a friend, or bring your family..Everyone is welcome to come play on the ice..
no gear ? No worries... I have many tip-ups , rods and shanties :) Only 1 Vex (sonar) though ..lol

Here is just another skinny slimer .. The big ones are near ..Trust me .

As for the marks on the other,
it was a Water Wolf (nice choice TB) ..We have caught 40"pike right out of that same spot (size 10 treble)

3fan
Expert Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/10 20:37:37 (permalink)
Wife and kid want in and we are going to stay the whole weekend. Her best dates are Febuary 15,16,17  What do you folks think? My daughter is 9 anyone bringing kids?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/10 21:20:43 (permalink)
John I think that would be an excellent date. It makes sure the big lake George is solid everywhere ( well it didn't freeze at all 2 years ago ) but I think we are safe this year. Also the winter carnival is held every weekend in down town. They have ice races and all kinds of events .
I'm going to see if my wife wants to come. Your family might really enjoy this kind of fishing or not but there is enough to do in the area as to keep them busy, heck there is an indoor water park just down the road ( great escape water park) .

Will keep you posted on best area for lodging .

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/10 21:34:43 (permalink)
I think I could throw together a few poles that may  work at that depth.  I am mostly a pan fish guy.   I just got my flasher too.  Would probably bring my nephew if he wanted to come.  Bout 3.5 hours and only get limited time off this winter due to new computer systems going in so I would be  a suicide type trip of Saturday and a partial Sunday  If I could swing it

RichW
Novice Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/11 10:58:03 (permalink)
Those dates would work for me.   Stayed off Bolton Landing a couple times in winter at the Sagamore when kids were small. Definately lots of things to do in winter.  Keep us posted on lodging. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/11 12:42:47 (permalink)
That works for me. I won't be able to get there until sat first light as I just learned the wife roped me into going to see hootie ( without the blow fish ) Friday night but no worries, first light sat - mon is fine for me.
The sagamore is WAY to upscale for me $$$ but a great place if you got the dough. I will most likely do the super 8 or possibly up at maple leaf in schroon.I will keep you guys up to date as things get closer.
I just remembered that the water park ( splash water kingdom ) requires you to lodge there for access to the water park. It's also a bit pricy but some times they run deals. Unless the wife decides to bring the grand kids that will most likely be out for me as well.

Raining pretty good here now . My brother in law is on schroon now & tomorrow and doing well so far with lakers.
My target goal Monday is Lake George . Report back then

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/11 13:25:44 (permalink)
I got out on Oneida this AM after my younger nephews basketball game.  Fished from 900 till 1130.   I got 3 keeper perch and then the rain came tumbling down.  I can honestly say without the new electronics I would have been skunked today.  Still getting the hang of reading it, especially  on shallow water   with weedy  bottom, but it is a game changer.  It is cool to see them come off the bottom  

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/11 16:10:54 (permalink)
Clint, Thats awesome you got a few with the new toy.. Game changer for sure !! I was a stubborn old school bastard just blind jigging and tip-ups for years and happy as heck to get a fish or 2 .. Once my friends started smokin' my azz with electronics with double digits, I got wise to the game.. They ain't cheap but they are effective and deadly on the fish.. Just wait until you see a lake trout charge the lure from 50-100 feet down and look through the hole and see them just bump or nose the lure , or take it too.. AWESOME stuff ..

Here is what mine looked like every time a school of smelt would pass by, and with them , TROUT ..

P.S.
the red marks are Lakers..

post edited by hot tuna - 2014/01/11 16:12:25

3fan
Expert Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/11 19:09:23 (permalink)
So are we fishing shroon or lake George, wife is looking for places to stay I said water park place that is 800$ so we are still looking around. Id like to stay as close to where we are gonna fish as possible and is Saturday the day for the get together, sure would like some more people to throw ideas around, also bait can I transport from here or should I buy there? Anyone have a gas auger?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/11 20:37:55 (permalink)
Easy 3, it's pretty cake in the lake George Schroon area in winter. The travel distance between the 2 end to end is about 20 mins .Really super easy..
Lake George has more tourist things to do, schroon has nothing but ice and snowmobile trails. There is also a middle ground of Alp Horn Motel it's between the 2 , just to confuse you .. Lol
My wife stayed at the water park last year with grand kids while I stayed at cheap maple leaf (schroon) fishing with friends. I know it wasn't cheap but didn't think it was that outrageous . That's a bit over the top..
Like said I stayed at super 8 downtown Lake George . It was $35. Each for us 2 guys. It's a standard hotel within a mile of the winter carnival and 3 miles to hearthstone campground ( state) where I fish on lake George . If your thinking of sleds, it's not out the door there.
The alp horn ( chestertown) and maple leaf ( schroon ) are, again 20 mins max either way to Lake George .
There really is no worries about reserving way in advance as there is always room at 1 of the 3 and I can throw more in the mix too.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/11 21:04:55 (permalink)
It's not legal to move bait around much in NY, has to be certified, you need a receipt and there's a time limit, I don't know what the rules are for PA, but I have to figure it's even more restrictive about bringing it in from outside the state.

L13 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/11 21:11:45 (permalink)
Yea that certified bait deal is the biggest joke beside the fire wood . I got my stupid receipts , a wallet full. i just hand them a stack and let them figure out which minnows or suckers were purchased when. We do get checked more on the ice then ever on the SR.. F'N joke.. ..
One thing about jigging is , they can't say anything about hard baits or plastics , gulp etc ..
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/01/11 21:15:37

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/12 11:57:56 (permalink)
Gulp Alive? Take your pick, China, Korea, India, Pakistan .................
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/12 16:52:00 (permalink)
Well I'm going to get into the serious planning stage on tues.. I got a bunch of stuff to do tonight and will be fishing all day tomorrow..
John, My wife is cool with bringing the 8 year old granddaughter to spend a day at the water park (I guess you don't have to stay there to enter )if your family is into that.. It really works to my advantage too :)

P.S.
What ain't made in some foreign cheap labor country anymore :(

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to: