Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2013/12/30 19:22:16 (permalink)

Ice Is Nice

here is a short entry to what i hope to be a long dialog.. As the sun moved west I felt such a great feeling of ALIVE.. Like standing on the moon of love..
Crowds were non existent as friends gathered and fish were Iced or lost..
I drilled 1 hole in the hardwater today and it was a good one..
I'm so pooped. The pics will have to wait until after day 2 ..
100% confident my son will catch his first ADK lake trout tomorrow
Yes, there is fish in these waters

post edited by hot tuna - 2013/12/30 19:24:06

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

186 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2013/12/31 06:56:38 (permalink)
    Go get em Rich

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2013/12/31 18:23:39 (permalink)
    I got to get out there with you this season! Good luck bud.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2013/12/31 19:28:33 (permalink)
    Want to be there sooooooo baaaaaaadddd! Go get 'em, bud.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2013/12/31 20:16:34 (permalink)
    Well I'm back from day 2 at laker country.. Cant say I;m any less pooped but the 2 day run was WELL worth it..
    Yesterday I drilled 1 hole all day, today my son came along and we wanted to try out his new tip ups so we each put out 3 and jigged in the warmth of the shanty..
    My goals this year have been :
    1:  get son his first deer... mission accomplished in spades, he got 2
    2: have son get his first toothy critter on ice.. mission accomplished he got a few
    3: have son get his first Lake Trout through the ice.. again , accomplished on the last day of 2013 :)

So , unlike the Salmon River when you lose more fish then land some say they are fouled.. NOT the case on the ice with a short pole.. We lost so many fish it was beyond keeping track.. It's the norm out there as it is very difficult to get a good hook set when fish charge a lure or swarm around it bumping the lure with it's nose.. Pretty darn awesome to look down the hole and see it happen..

I was anti electronics for a very long time until I got humbled by friends kicking my azz with their fancy flashers.. Without sonar you are just blind jigging with no clue as to what's happening under the ice.. Now I will (hope) never to go lake trout fishing without one.. It is a whole different game seeing the fish react , chase or just be on the sonar knowing how to use your skills to get them to bite.. It's a good investment for anyone playing the laker game..
    I may be able to get back on the ice this week before my afternoon shift if the local ice is safe.. Lets hope because there are some GIANT perch locally..  Otherwise I'll have to wait until next monday & tuesday ,, sure enough back to laker country.. Lets hope this upcoming snow dump don't make things to difficult..
    So here they are, a few pic's of mostly cookie cutter trout but boy are they fun to catch on a short pole.. Many lost and a few heavy weights were felt..
    This first pic was taken by a friend which I think is cool as heck.. Pay no attention to the lure ..lol

Here are a few of ours:

Have a Happy New Years, Be Well to all and hope to share some ice with you all..
    Peace & Tuna

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2013/12/31 22:01:25 (permalink)
    Nice.  Same to you.

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2013/12/31 22:20:16 (permalink)
    Sweet. Good job.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/01 18:13:16 (permalink)
    SWEETNESS man.   I may go out on Sunday.  Got my Smitty almost done and making the final touches on some windless style self jigging homemade tip downs.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r2g2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/01 18:44:15 (permalink)
    Absolutely great fish and great family experience-congrats.
    RichW
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/01 20:14:08 (permalink)
    Starting to feel Optimistic in NJ.   Friday supposed to be high in single digits.  8-12 inches of snow moving in.  
    Tuna GREAT picture of SON and YOU Bonding with the lakers!   Thats what is all about!  Never caught a Laker!  
    In typical Polish tradition offfered a New Years sacrifice to the Snow Gods after watching the Hockey Game today!  If we do get to do an  Ice fishing outing in 14, I'll bring the stuffed cabbage, Garlic Kielbasa over Hunters Stew, Perogies and Hot Herring appetizer!   Will need Shiner Bohemian Black Lager to wash it all down!    At the Winter Classic Today, wish they would have had Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band play the first intermission rather than the Band that did! 

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/01 20:47:54 (permalink)
    Tuna, goes to show its never too late to inspire your children. Great job and great dad... oh yeah and nice lakers too !
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/01 21:16:59 (permalink)
    Well db , the wife says I'm a bad influence on him . Lol. Really though it was tough when they were kids as I worked this rotating shift for 10 years I do now but life is and things come back around.

Those were just baby lakers 18 & 1/2" was smallest and 24" the largest. The biguns are yet to come :)
    I took a lot of weekend vacation time along with my regular weekdays off to make outings with my weekend warrior friends this ice season . Hope some of you guys decide to give it a try as well.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/02 11:50:02 (permalink)
    Now that I met your wife Rich I know where your son gets his good looks
    Man from those pictures it almost looks balmy out there on the ice,do you eat those Lakers? The one time I tried one from the big O I found them to be very fatty,but maybe it was the size difference and location.
    Great to see the father/son thing,nothing beats that experience for both.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/02 13:18:40 (permalink)
    Jack, generally not so much.. I am usually a C&R fisher unless its panfish but I have eaten them and we did keep 2.. An 18 & 1/2 " that totally inhaled the lure (blood on the ice) and a 22 & 1/2' .. I filleted one and will bake the other.. They ain't bad ... My kid got a smoker for Christmas so I think we may keep a few more later on..

Monday it was pretty brutal with the wind so like said, I drilled 1 hole and it was a good one.. Tuesday it was 3 degs and stayed in the teens but NO wind so it did seem balmy ..lol
    The snow is here now and it will make for some tired legs but as always , The Heat Will Be ON !!
    Heading to Jumbo perch land sat   and back to Laker land monday and tues, may even through some traps in for Pike too..

P.S.
    Rich W, that Menu looks OUTSTANDING, cant wait !!!
    post edited by hot tuna - 2014/01/02 13:23:40

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/02 14:09:10 (permalink)
    Hey RichW, I'll get in line for that, too. I gotta ski on the end of my name, I grew up on food like that. HT, I'll talk to you soon. That's a bunch of lakers!  Need advice on jigs and pound test to spool up. 6?  Is braid better for the less stretch  deep jigging?   Glad your out on hard water, instead of hard lime a good amount of the time.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/02 14:14:17 (permalink)
    I'm down for the ice outting!!! Keep me in the loop with dates
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/02 15:15:41 (permalink)
    Golabki=good eats.
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/02 17:14:27 (permalink)
    Hey Im down also got lots of ice gear myself and while Im not polish I am Italian and would bring some grub also..and beer.
    RichW
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/02 20:28:17 (permalink)
    Keep me in the loop also with the dates!   I think with all the menu talk, Polish - Italian etc, there may be some FRACKING going on the ICE!
    There is a Great Polish Deli in Garfield, NJ,   Piast Meats and Provisions.  They are the Cabela's of Cabbage -  Kielbasa and Pierogies!

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/03 00:22:20 (permalink)
    Hey guys that all sounds like great fun ..  I will have every weekend + a monday off until March so jut let me know what works .. Like said there are cheap motels (mom & pop) in the areas and some right on the lakes so no driving involved..
    Nice weather days are certainly more pleasant the cold windy for hanging outside the Shanties but no worries, I have 4 and plenty of heat :)
    Charlie:
    I was actually fishing shallow (what I consider) water , 38-51 fow on Schroon but once LG freezes it's deep 60-120 fow..
    I use 6 & 8 lb mono mostly due to less icing if that is a problem (outside the shanty).. Braid in 6lb is great for the deeper water as there is instant contact (no stretch) with your lure but braid (fire line) hates the cold.. It can be disastrous .. Id suggest 6lb mono as it's an all around line that will be good for pannies & trout.. I carry 5 rods..
    Lures include buckshot and northland whistler spoons in 3/8 oz, Swedish pimples size 5-7 and 3/8 oz buck tail hair jigs..

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/03 07:23:53 (permalink)
    Thanks, HT. I've got some pimples, I'll pick up some of those spoons and jigs  and some Gulp minnows. I've got a couple of rods that will handle lakers, the others are really light for letting those Carter's  Pond runts wiggle the tip.....  Hope the snow stayed south. We've got about 9-10 and its stopped.
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/03 12:35:34 (permalink)
    Tuna can wheelers or sleds be used on these lakes, Ill trailer mine and drag everyones stuff out and in, less manual labor.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/03 13:50:06 (permalink)
    John, ABSOLUTLY !!
    I used to bring my wheelers but when the snow gets deep they suck and more of a PIA.. A sled, as the trail system goes through the access points, is killer..
    Now that there is snow cover on the lakes, sleds will be all over.. Many Trail (no fee) systems in the area..

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/05 00:22:00 (permalink)
    Report 1/4/14:
    it was the first outing of the new year. After quite a few nice trips under my belt in 2013 , this day was not kind at all.. Weather played a big part in many ways leading up to 6 am (truck dead, frozen pipes) inside the shanty it had to be 60 degs.. Any way, met up with 2 good friends at 7:10 am who were already walking out to untouched Jumbo perch land. Snow was from 2-6" in the drifts, not bad at all  I coulda used that smitty sled with the flip over. The air was crisp and cold ,the wind was resting for the time being.. Everyone set up shop for what we thought was going to be a slaughter fest using electronics in 28 fow ,man was it anything but..  The water was very murky with about 6" visibility..On the ADK lakes I could easily see 10' down.. The few, and I mean few fish I seen were only looking at big glow lures and had LOCKJAW.. So my first outing in 2014 resulted in a SKUNK !! At least the monkey is off my back so there is nowhere to go but up :)
    We know there are phatties in there but maybe it was the weather ? I will blame it so..My other buds are heading back tomorrow and the expert jig fishermen they are I'm sure they will slay them.

Next report shortly from Laker land..
    post edited by hot tuna - 2014/01/05 00:28:18

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/05 10:22:40 (permalink)
    I didn't have a good feeling about the ice today, so used the snow instead to snowshoe through a very  pretty  valley that has a frozen beaver meander through it. I look forward to  chasing the lakers, not so much the little ones out of the ponds. If I had a local baitshop, I'd set up for pike- but it's a long drive.  Have steelhead spoiled me?  Absolutely no doubt about it. Just my current phase, sure as heck don't dislike ice reports and pics!  I hope you have a good day up North. I'd have to go through a whole  winter of skunkings to pay for that one day you had with the lakers.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/05 19:06:13 (permalink)
    I finally get to add to the ice thread.  Went up to Green point today at around 1100 or so.  Just could not get myself moving this AM.    Fished till dark.    Had 2 tip ups set for Pike with small perch and 1 tip up and two tip downs set for perch.   I made a few Windlass type self jigging tip downs  and after fine tuning  they worked pretty good.  I just have to add a rubber band or something  to the end so I can add and take away split shot to fine tune with the type of jig I am using.   I got a pike on one today.   Had a few flags but dropped them all.  Caught 8 or 9 keeper perch and one keeper blue gill.  Lots of dinks today.   Today they wanted spikes and  bigger jigs ,  minnows did not work as well.    

Enough for a small meal, but better than nothing.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/07 20:48:41 (permalink)
    Report: 1/6-7/14
    It's pretty awesome knowing that the water I fished 23" lake trout are forage fish and those marks are not from 1/0 snaggers ..  More to follow

post edited by hot tuna - 2014/01/07 21:01:45

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 05:39:59 (permalink)
    That little guy was lucky it got away from the perch that latched onto him.

For reals more reports the better.
    This guy not getting outside enough and needs to see what it is like out there through your lens.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 06:39:04 (permalink)
    Let's see,  23" laker, maybe 50" northern?!

L13
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ice Is Nice 2014/01/08 06:58:25 (permalink)
    Hey HT what do you use for a pike set up on tip up.   I have lost a few  even letting them unwind it a bit before.   Right now I am just using  a #1/0 octopus and a minnow.  10# test Should I try a smaller hook or a treble.  Have had a few flags.   Have not broken off just pulled free.   How about steel leader?  

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to: