Helpful ReplyAny word yet

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/06 19:46:16 (permalink)
fishingood
Well, fished all day Saturday with my father, and there ARE fish in the creeks for anybody who wants to catch them, maybe not November numbers yet, but a worth it trip nonetheless. We started at lower elk "creek"/ pond, my father caught one, I had a hook up and a missed hook set, saw a good number of catches and limits being carried out, and the guys going out boats said they could see a lot of fish.

We headed east after lunch, at 16 mile, I was shocked at how far some of the fish made it up, we fished the lower stretches, caught a steelhead and a partially spawned 7 lb citation hen brown, had a few other hook ups here, one break off, and one when I wasn't paying attention talking to the guy next to me, a fish took my fly and spit it out. After this, headed to 20 mile, a few pods of VERY finnicky fish around here, water very low, we managed one each here, also saw a guy catch a steelhead with a lamprey attached, pretty neat. All fish caught were released to fight another day, and the only fly we were having luck on, and getting fish to chase, were maribou minnow streamers.

Gill****at its best......

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
joebaker79
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/06 23:05:20 (permalink)
#1. If anyone respected fish they wouldn't jam hooks into then, so stop chastising a fisherman for how they hold a fish. You don't know if he kept it. You have no idea what happened after the picture, and I can guarantee you wouldn't want video taken of every instance you handled a fish.

#2. Stop using the word**** Stop using it in reference to holding a fish, catching them, or otherwise. I'm certain if you asked a woman what being raped was like she wouldn't say it was just like a fisherman mishandling a fish or just like when a fisherman catches a ton of fish in a day. This is why non-anglers generally view fisherman as Neanderthal dirtbags. Stop it. Funny this site blocks every word imaginable but I see****used here 10x a day.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/06 23:17:44 (permalink)

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/06 23:33:13 (permalink)
joebaker79
#1. If anyone respected fish they wouldn't jam hooks into then, so stop chastising a fisherman for how they hold a fish. You don't know if he kept it. You have no idea what happened after the picture, and I can guarantee you wouldn't want video taken of every instance you handled a fish.

#2. Stop using the word**** Stop using it in reference to holding a fish, catching them, or otherwise. I'm certain if you asked a woman what being raped was like she wouldn't say it was just like a fisherman mishandling a fish or just like when a fisherman catches a ton of fish in a day. This is why non-anglers generally view fisherman as Neanderthal dirtbags. Stop it. Funny this site blocks every word imaginable but I see****used here 10x a day.

Loopy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1437
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/06 23:40:43 (permalink)
krott243
fishingood
Well, fished all day Saturday with my father, and there ARE fish in the creeks for anybody who wants to catch them, maybe not November numbers yet, but a worth it trip nonetheless. We started at lower elk "creek"/ pond, my father caught one, I had a hook up and a missed hook set, saw a good number of catches and limits being carried out, and the guys going out boats said they could see a lot of fish.

We headed east after lunch, at 16 mile, I was shocked at how far some of the fish made it up, we fished the lower stretches, caught a steelhead and a partially spawned 7 lb citation hen brown, had a few other hook ups here, one break off, and one when I wasn't paying attention talking to the guy next to me, a fish took my fly and spit it out. After this, headed to 20 mile, a few pods of VERY finnicky fish around here, water very low, we managed one each here, also saw a guy catch a steelhead with a lamprey attached, pretty neat. All fish caught were released to fight another day, and the only fly we were having luck on, and getting fish to chase, were maribou minnow streamers.

Gill****at its best......

Hate that gill****too Krott.

<---  The Holy Trinity
krott243
Expert Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/06 23:58:24 (permalink)
The word****has multiple definitions as do most words. It's being used as an action verb to express something that is being done. Clearly talking about the action of what is being done to a fish and not a woman. If I had quoted a picture of a woman being forcefully abused than I could understand your aggression, this is a fishing forum so I never expect that to happen. Thanks for your concern though.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
Homeboy50
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 00:32:24 (permalink)
I say (rapeum) rip the eggs out and leave the carcass for krott to cry for!!!!!

ROPEUM & SMOKEUM!!!!!!!

krott243
Expert Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 01:57:26 (permalink)

post edited by krott243 - 2013/10/07 02:04:22

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 06:39:31 (permalink)
Joey sounds like he's been "gill blasted."

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 07:44:33 (permalink)
genieman77
freshwaterdrumR

Maybe some dudes only get the chance to go once or twice a season and want to make sure they pick a day whenever they can catch the most steelhead. I don't think asking locals on a fishing forum about conditions is unreasonable.

not being a smartazz, i promise,  but  seriously, you need to learn  to read/interpret the flow gauges and weather radar .
..L.T.A.

Oh, I do know how.  I use a few different sites to constantly monitor lake or stream conditions. However I know plenty of people who are too busy with families and work to constantly monitor stream flows and weather sites.....so asking on a fishing site about conditions seems like reasonable option....just sayin'

fish12
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 09:20:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fishingood 2013/10/07 09:24:01
I drove the 2+ hour trip to Erie last weekend and fished for 2 days. I only caught 2 fish. A Rooster Tail and single egg worked for me this time. I love fall and the scenery was beautiful. I had time to scout some new areas and everyone I talked to was real friendly and helpful which is rare. It was a great trip for me, my girl, and our dog despite the not-so-great fishing conditions. In my opinion, make the trip if you can.
post edited by fish12 - 2013/10/07 09:30:34
fishingood
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 09:23:26 (permalink)
I wasn't going to glorify most of these with responses, but for those who are saying I must've killed the fish because I had my fingers in its gills, and in order to avoid the typical hijacking of a thread...

I release probably about 98% of all fish I catch, and this includes steelhead season, ice fishing, stocked trout fishing, fly fishing, tournament bass fishing, and saltwater. The only times I keep fish include some panfish through the ice, some stocked trout on opening day, and MAYYBEE 1-2 steelhead in the 7-10 Erie trips I will make from late September through late March. I realize that there will likely be some delayed mortalities or fish I've unintentionally killed, but that will happen to everyone, I've seen it happen to pros COMPETING FOR MONEY, sometimes a fish gets hooked too deep, or it slips out of someones hand and flops around, or it is very fiesty, and it prolongs the fight longer than anticipated. In this case, I didn't even know I had put my hand under the gills until I saw the photo. Needless to say, the fish swam away perfectly fine under its own strength after being submerged for a few seconds. That is more than I can say for many Erie catch and "releases," which often involve throwing the fish onto the bank, letting it flop around on the rocks while a photo is set up, and kicking the fish back into the water, watching it swim away belly halfway up. I am very careful to keep the fish submerged, remove the hook quickly, and keep it out of the water only as long as necessary.

Second, I apologize if you think I killed this fish, or if you're so offended that you can't sleep at night, but GET REEL (pun intended). There are multi-millions of steelhead and browns stocked by PA and other states, and plenty of others that come from natural spawning. In fact, some conservation officers have said that poachers, natural predators eating stocked molts, and pollution have a much bigger impact on the fishery, than those fish kept, or killed, by legal fishing.

Third, not to put myself on a high horse here, but I take part in many conservation activities and intiatives throughout the year, and I participate in and support multiple clubs that do so. These include litter/ waste cleanup, building and distributing fish strutures/ habitats, stocking fish, monitoring water quality, and collecting samples of acquatic insects and creatures, to ensure healthy populations and abundant food for fish. Please tell me what any of you have done to help make fishing in PA better?

That's it. Now, back to the main purpose of this website. How is everyone enjoying, or not enjoying, the current conditions and/or fishing in Erie? I'm planning another trip up in two weeks, if anyone cares to share helpful information, thank you, if not, I could care less, keep it to yourself.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 09:37:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mikastorm 2013/10/07 10:18:40
freshwaterdrumR

Oh, I do know how.  I use a few different sites to constantly monitor lake or stream conditions. However I know plenty of people who are too busy with families and work to constantly monitor stream flows and weather sites.....so asking on a fishing site about conditions seems like reasonable option....just sayin'

"Constantly monitor?"  Hahahaha.  No need to go to such great lengths, unless you work for NOAA or The Weather Channel.

Even with families and work, there is enough time to properly monitor conditions.  Takes about 2 minutes a day for a few days in advance of your trip.

Go here for current stream conditions on Walnut.  http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=04213152&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010.  Vertical blue line going up, and over 200 CFS?  Wait till it starts coming down again.  Squiggly lines for several days down around 10-20 CFS?  Save your gas money.  

Wanna know how high that blue line is gonna go?  Go here for recent precip amounts in Erie: http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KERI.html  Anything .75 inches and up?  Probably gonna wanna wait a day or two to fish Elk or Walnut. Some smaller streams generally fish well 8-12 hours later.  

Wanna know what's coming?  Go here to read words:  http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/erie-pa/16501/weather-forecast/330296.  Go here to look at pictures: http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USPA0509  
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 09:54:49 (permalink)
So what your saying it's probably not worth it today to come up. I've been watching the gauge and weather today just don't have a clue how long it takes streams to recover with .25 inches of rain expected the rest of the day
SwimFishieSwim
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 133
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 09:56:17 (permalink)
rsquared
freshwaterdrumR

"Constantly monitor?"  Hahahaha.  No need to go to such great lengths, unless you work for NOAA or The Weather Channel.

Even with families and work, there is enough time to properly monitor conditions.  Takes about 2 minutes a day for a few days in advance of your trip.

Go here for current stream conditions on Walnut.  http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=04213152&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010.  Vertical blue line going up, and over 200 CFS?  Wait till it starts coming down again.  Squiggly lines for several days down around 10-20 CFS?  Save your gas money.  

Wanna know how high that blue line is gonna go?  Go here for recent precip amounts in Erie: http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KERI.html  Anything .75 inches and up?  Probably gonna wanna wait a day or two to fish Elk or Walnut. Some smaller streams generally fish well 8-12 hours later.  

Wanna know what's coming?  Go here to read words:  http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/erie-pa/16501/weather-forecast/330296.  Go here to look at pictures: http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USPA0509  

Well said R to the second. Very helpful.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 09:58:59 (permalink)
I would think if they have enough time to go to a board and ask for conditions then wait for and read all the replies, they have more than enough time to read the above and Know what it is going to be like...Half of the posts on here are BS, why wade through a bunch of BS when the gauges don't lie....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Cold
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 10:04:20 (permalink)
bingsbaits
I would think if they have enough time to go to a board and ask for conditions then wait for and read all the replies, they have more than enough time to read the above and Know what it is going to be like...Half of the posts on here are BS, why wade through a bunch of BS when the gauges don't lie....

Not to mention that the time it takes to post here, get a decent reply, decide to make the trip, and go is more than the amount of time it takes for the very conditions asked about to change drastically.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 10:12:38 (permalink)
smally hunter
So what your saying it's probably not worth it today to come up. I've been watching the gauge and weather today just don't have a clue how long it takes streams to recover with .25 inches of rain expected the rest of the day

Depends where you wanna fish.  Walnut's at nearly 400 CFS and still rising.  That's real close to blow out type flow for Elk and Walnut, but if it peaks there and starts dropping soon, Walnut would probably be decent this evening.  Certainly by tomorrow morning on both Elk and Walnut.  

Small cricks would probably be prime this afternoon.  Still a lot of green on the trees and ground, so smaller streams rise and fall quickly.  In 3 weeks, everything will change. 

Don't forget, the cricks ain't the only place to catch steelhead in Erie. 

Cold
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 10:51:09 (permalink)
rsquared
Don't forget, the cricks ain't the only place to catch steelhead in Erie. 

Yep.

If you're fast, and/or sneaky, there's always a large pod holding near 42.058497,-80.240705.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 11:07:35 (permalink)
I hope smally hunter was joking...
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 11:23:11 (permalink)
Definitely not joking . I'm 21 been fishing Erie for 16 years now. Just started going alone this year and last but have never fished outside of elk walnut Godfrey and trout run . Just learned how to understand the gauges this year and had no clue how fast the rise or fall of the creeks worked . I make maybe 5 trips max a year but that's typically based on wind for the lake not the streams. Cut me some slack ^^^^^^^^ and I've already called about the lake 7-10s expected at some point so unless I take up surfing it's not worth it .
SwimFishieSwim
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 133
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 11:46:31 (permalink)
This might help with the visuals.
http://forums.fishusa.com/Message/486233-Gauge-Help/
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 11:56:40 (permalink)
Thanks fishie. I was just About to start looking for that one to help him out.
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 16:47:49 (permalink)
Cold, you sure those are the correct numbers? I'm going tommorrow and want to make positive  I'm in the correct place...WF
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 17:02:22 (permalink)
Cold, that is my honey hole.  
If I could go tomorrow, i would.  eets gunna beee epik

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Cold
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 18:34:14 (permalink)
World Famous
Cold, you sure those are the correct numbers? I'm going tommorrow and want to make positive  I'm in the correct place...WF

Yes, that's accurate.  Be aware though, your presentation must be flawless in order to walk out of there with a fish that wasn't already on your rope when you went in.

FoM, sorry for the spot burn.  Just trying to help out the newbies.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/07 19:32:19 (permalink)
They really smoke em there!  The flow is poor, but they are stacked thick.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/08 00:06:19 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
They really smoke em there!  The flow is poor, but they are stacked thick.  

You guys are burning a little close to home. Yeesh. Now everyone will be there. Way to tick off the locals. That place is smokin' hot right now and I was hoping it have it to my self.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/08 06:00:27 (permalink)
^ greedy locals. Trying to keep it all to themselves... as usual.
Cold
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/08 09:20:59 (permalink)
Sorry, dUUd, it's just a spot that usually tends to hold a decent amount of fish through the entire season.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: