Helpful ReplyAny word yet

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
fishrmn
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/25 21:25:44 (permalink)

post edited by fishrmn - 2013/09/25 21:27:37
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2134
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/25 22:41:39 (permalink)
Oh sure, lets have a wet start to archery season. Mite have to fish now instead.

BH
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/26 11:12:10 (permalink)
BloodyHand
Oh sure, lets have a wet start to archery season. Mite have to fish now instead.

BH

What? You don't hunt in the rain?
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/26 14:36:08 (permalink)
Lost 2 bucks, 35 or 40 years ago, bowshot because of a rainstorm. Left both overnight and got heavy rains by morning. Found both a week of so later. Shot from overhead ,and no pass threw, it dont leave much blood sign sometimes. Both hit hard. 1 was under a blowdown and 1 was in a sorgum field...WF
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2134
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/26 15:07:42 (permalink)
What WF said. And that's why I dont like to ARCHERY hunt in the rain. But lets get real, I aint a fair weather nothin.

BH
fishingood
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/26 17:01:40 (permalink)
Headed up this weekend, and I'm sure it will be worth it, although I always live by the mantra "a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office (and plus, my next 3 weekends are booked with plans already). I'm perfectly content with catching a few steelhead in a day up there, but I know there are those grumpy locals who will sit and whine how much better the runs were 30 years ago when they could catch them every other cast, and blame everybody else for keeping too many hens and littering, rather than rising to the challenge of improving their fishing skills. If I don't have luck in the creeks, I'll fish the lake mouths, take a bass rod with a spoon with me, although I had a blast with my fly rod and a streamer last year at the mouth of 20, watching fresh chrome take off with my fly and head for Canada.

And if the fishing sucks, I will still be happy to get away for a few days, been putting in long hours at my new job, so even just sitting in our hotel room watching some college football after a day of fishing will be nice.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/26 18:50:22 (permalink)
fishingood
Headed up this weekend, and I'm sure it will be worth it, although I always live by the mantra "a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office (and plus, my next 3 weekends are booked with plans already). I'm perfectly content with catching a few steelhead in a day up there, but I know there are those grumpy locals who will sit and whine how much better the runs were 30 years ago when they could catch them every other cast, and blame everybody else for keeping too many hens and littering, rather than rising to the challenge of improving their fishing skills. If I don't have luck in the creeks, I'll fish the lake mouths, take a bass rod with a spoon with me, although I had a blast with my fly rod and a streamer last year at the mouth of 20, watching fresh chrome take off with my fly and head for Canada.

And if the fishing sucks, I will still be happy to get away for a few days, been putting in long hours at my new job, so even just sitting in our hotel room watching some college football after a day of fishing will be nice.

Your post is a good one.  Right up until you talked about "all the locals" and what they do.  I know some of the locals who post on this board.  They are actually the opposite of how u describe them.  And complaining about littering is a valid beef, right?  It is likely most of us outta tahners who are doing most of the damage.  If someone came to my home waters that id never seen before and make a mess of it all, id be peaved too.  
Other than that, I think you've got a good attitude towards fishing even in tough conditions...its supposed to be fun.  I hope u catch some steel.  I wish i was going.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
cbeagler
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/26 21:39:32 (permalink)
fishingood
...but I know there are those grumpy locals who will sit and whine how much better the runs were 30 years ago when they could catch them every other cast, and blame everybody else for keeping too many hens and littering, rather than rising to the challenge of improving their fishing skills.

Glad you have done well and enjoy it. Just remember that after walking these streams for over 30 years we have seen good years and bad, we recognize that it is a put and take fishery, and we are the ones who have to deal with closed access all year because of littering done by people who may spend just a few days here. And after doing this for 30 years I find that we are always learning. Now, if you will excuse me I have to go buy some big bright orange KO wobblers to catch some coho out of the Manchester hole.  (Which was actually posted during the salmon runs because of littering).

fishingood
Novice Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 10:59:35 (permalink)
Yea I apologize, my remark about locals was meant to be much more tongue in cheek and joking than I made it seem, that was just an example I recall. Truth is, most of the locals I meet up there are very friendly and willing to teach a thing or two to others. Heck, last year I met a very nice older guy who showed me the steelhead streamer he was cleaning up with, and gave me one to try out, and take home to replicate myself.

My remark was more aimed at the fact that there are a lot of pet peeves one could have up in Erie (littering, numbers of fish down some years, snaggers, crowds, the idiot who yelled at me last year because I kept one steelhead in 6 trips up, and told me that "people like me were the reason numbers were way down"). But it's a classic case of benefits outweighing costs and drawbacks, Erie is still a world-class fishery, and I'm willing to deal with the drawbacks to fish there.

Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 12:12:29 (permalink)
You forgot about the muperes that come out of the woodwork in late September to get info and stream reports and places to fish, because they don't want to drive 2+ hours if it's not "worth it".
fishingood
Novice Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 12:41:07 (permalink)
Just gotta check the reports
post edited by fishingood - 2013/09/27 12:42:47
flat lander
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 12:51:44 (permalink)
fishingood

Pretty much mirrors my feelings on Erie. I've only been fishing the creeks,(cricks, cracks, streams, waterways, etc, ect.) for 7 years now so I'm still learning. I remember my 1st year up there, I was fishing on the Elk next to Uncle Johns between the wall and the bridge and I was getting skunked. Literally could not catch a thing. I was using huge egg sacks and 8 pound mono(no leader) in gin clear water. I was advised(hahaha) by the shop at the top of the hill that egg sacks were the ticket. After 4 hours in the snow, one of the local guys felt bad for me I think and came over to check out my rig. Basically told me to throw away everything I had, drive down to Poor Richards, pick up 4 pound Seagur, smaller hooks, blackbird floats, emerald shiners and come back. When i got back to the Elk, he showed me how to rig the line, showed me where to cast, angle of the rod, how to keep line out of the water, etc. I caught more fish than I could count that day. I was 100% hooked on steelhead from that day on and have been making 2 trips a year since then. It's a 7 hour ride for me, so when I go, I normally call Dottie at poor richards to get a honest report.

Its the locals that made my first trip to Erie awesome. No matter where I staying in Erie, I ONLY go to poor richards. It has nothing to do with prices or location, hell they are normally completely out of my way,but the fact that they showed me the in's and out's and are honest, I keep coming back. 
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 12:54:40 (permalink)
In my humble opinion every bit of fishin' is worth it. Now if you want to go and catch fish, that's a different story altogether! An hour or two of drowning bait is always "worth it".

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 15:52:00 (permalink)
Cold
You forgot about the muperes that come out of the woodwork in late September to get info and stream reports and places to fish, because they don't want to drive 2+ hours if it's not "worth it".

Not to mention those muperes who ask for advice, get it, go three times, don't land a steelbow then post about how hard it is & that they might quit trying.

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 18:24:18 (permalink)
askhole....just sayin

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
frost
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 21:37:48 (permalink)
It was totally "worth" it to me today. Took the hour trip up today and broke one off and landed about a 17". Streams are obviously extremely low and clear with no rain in a week now. Found one hole with a couple in it and after annoying them for almost 2hours they finally either got PO'ed enough or felt sorry for me. I didn't really care if I caught anything though, I had chores to do at home and really didn't want to do them hahaha... Had to do a lot of walking to find those fish, actually to even find water that could hold fish.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 22:03:22 (permalink)
D-nymph
ColdYou forgot about the muperes that come out of the woodwork in late September to get info and stream reports and places to fish, because they don't want to drive 2+ hours if it's not "worth it".

Not to mention those muperes who ask for advice, get it, go three times, don't land a steelbow then post about how hard it is & that they might quit trying. 

^Post of the year. Lol

Blacktop Charters
cbeagler
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 23:05:22 (permalink)
fishingood
Yea I apologize, my remark about locals was meant to be much more tongue in cheek and joking than I made it seem, that was just an example I recall. Truth is, most of the locals I meet up there are very friendly and willing to teach a thing or two to others. Heck, last year I met a very nice older guy who showed me the steelhead streamer he was cleaning up with, and gave me one to try out, and take home to replicate myself.

My remark was more aimed at the fact that there are a lot of pet peeves one could have up in Erie (littering, numbers of fish down some years, snaggers, crowds, the idiot who yelled at me last year because I kept one steelhead in 6 trips up, and told me that "people like me were the reason numbers were way down"). But it's a classic case of benefits outweighing costs and drawbacks, Erie is still a world-class fishery, and I'm willing to deal with the drawbacks to fish there.

No harm no foul. Hope you do well.
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 23:37:38 (permalink)
I join in on this worth or not topic ... came up today with my 82 yr old grandpa ... took a walk after getting him set up on the wall and found 3 pods of fish from stop sign up to the falls ... messed around for an hour up seeing if I could find a dumb one and struck out o well ... then for the next 5 hours I sat on the wall with gramps chucking spoons and managed my first two chromers of the year ... even got to watch him hang tough with a fat one for all of 3 minutes ... but I tell you what ... it was definitely WORTH the trip ... some fish to be had just depends on if your a number chaser or not... and guess what? the best part of the day had nothing to do with the fishing ... the scenery just helped it along :)

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/27 23:40:49 (permalink)
Yup Iem a local mup her' no bige'
We all share the same waters gotta get along now.
Went out yesterday some fish around but wind blowing mup' stream was stronger than the current and only hooked 1.
If you got the itch come on up  but keep those back up plans in mind.
It was worth it for me yesterday to fish but if I had to drive hours and pay for lodging I'd been bummed.

Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/29 20:07:58 (permalink)
D-nymph
Cold

Nice.

Kinda ironically, after that, that's basically what happened.  Had a few good trips, then figured it wasn't ever really "worth it" fish-wise, so now I just try to make it a few trips each year to hang out with awesome people.  If they lived closer, I'd probably quit buying the Erie stamp. 
cbeagler
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/09/30 11:40:45 (permalink)
World Famous
Lost 2 bucks, 35 or 40 years ago, bowshot because of a rainstorm. Left both overnight and got heavy rains by morning. Found both a week of so later. Shot from overhead ,and no pass threw, it dont leave much blood sign sometimes. Both hit hard. 1 was under a blowdown and 1 was in a sorgum field...WF

Yep, that would be pretty bad. I lost one a few years back and never did find it. Leaves an awful feeling. Agreed, rain is not the best.
fishingood
Novice Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/01 11:41:12 (permalink)
Well, fished all day Saturday with my father, and there ARE fish in the creeks for anybody who wants to catch them, maybe not November numbers yet, but a worth it trip nonetheless. We started at lower elk "creek"/ pond, my father caught one, I had a hook up and a missed hook set, saw a good number of catches and limits being carried out, and the guys going out boats said they could see a lot of fish.

We headed east after lunch, at 16 mile, I was shocked at how far some of the fish made it up, we fished the lower stretches, caught a steelhead and a partially spawned 7 lb citation hen brown, had a few other hook ups here, one break off, and one when I wasn't paying attention talking to the guy next to me, a fish took my fly and spit it out. After this, headed to 20 mile, a few pods of VERY finnicky fish around here, water very low, we managed one each here, also saw a guy catch a steelhead with a lamprey attached, pretty neat. All fish caught were released to fight another day, and the only fly we were having luck on, and getting fish to chase, were maribou minnow streamers.

D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/02 11:33:27 (permalink)
Good job on the gill blasting of that brown trout.  Impressive.
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/03 15:40:09 (permalink)
Gladiator killed Commudus with a stabbed lung....Gill em all and let em ride, just helping with natural selection it will live if it wants to.  If not, they stock more in Febbawarry.  
cbeagler
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/03 23:18:14 (permalink)
Loomis
Gladiator killed Commudus with a stabbed lung....Gill em all and let em ride, just helping with natural selection it will live if it wants to.  If not, they stock more in Febbawarry.  

One of my favorite movies. Commudus killed Gladiator with a stabbed lung, but Gladiator still won.
Favorite quote:
post edited by cbeagler - 2013/10/04 00:21:08
cbeagler
Pro Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/04 00:23:30 (permalink)
fishingood
...a steelhead and a partially spawned 7 lb citation hen brown,

Did you check out the Brown Trout Reports pinned to the top of the forum. They might like to know about your brown.  Nice fish
freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/04 11:36:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cbeagler 2013/10/05 12:56:29
manilikeD1ck
For all you clowns who live 2-3 hours away and depend on us to determine whether or not you make the trip, I say this.....we aint weathermen. We don't know. The conditions change. if you have time and the money, turn off SpongeBob, put down the juice box and come up. If not, stay home. We cant predict the weather nor do we want to. I say, cowboy up, and come up here- if its sucks, oh well. People like captronk and jdanie-  don't what to tell you dude. What's "worth it" mean? Gawd.

Maybe some dudes only get the chance to go once or twice a season and want to make sure they pick a day whenever they can catch the most steelhead. I don't think asking locals on a fishing forum about conditions is unreasonable.

fishingood
Novice Angler
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/04 13:03:56 (permalink)
Yeaaa asking about fishing in Erie on a forum about fishing in Erie is extremely wrong. What heathens! How dare they?!

Check out my YouTube fishing channel, new videos every week: https://www.youtube.com/user/Pasc9
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Any word yet 2013/10/06 18:02:10 (permalink)
freshwaterdrumR

Maybe some dudes only get the chance to go once or twice a season and want to make sure they pick a day whenever they can catch the most steelhead. I don't think asking locals on a fishing forum about conditions is unreasonable.

not being a smartazz, i promise,  but  seriously, you need to learn  to read/interpret the flow gauges and weather radar .
..L.T.A.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: