First Boat Help

Author
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/22 10:35:32 (permalink)

First Boat Help

Just purchased my first boat last night .  It is a late 70's model 14' mirrocraft. Nothing spectacular, but a good starter boat that i got a deal on.  Would like to take out the middle seat and put a floor in w/ some storage cabinets, and possibly a small live well.  Would also like to redo the paint job.  Wonderd if anyone had any personal advice on how to do this, or could suggest some books/websites that might guide me in the right direction.  Hoping to have it refinished for spring time.  Thanks in advance for any info.

21 Replies Related Threads

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/22 13:16:05 (permalink)
    All three seating ribs should have bolts that you can take them out with.I put a floor in a 1989 Mirrocraft and only took two guys to build a wood floor w/carpeting in 2 nights after work.If I were to do it again,I would do it like you are and build some storage on top of the floor after I put in the carpeted deck.Also, I would look into some sealant for the wood so you don't get any soft spots for years. I think you meed a special primer for painting on bare aluminum,someone else should have more info.

PS I ripped a bunch of 2x4's in half to make the frame for the decking to sit on.After building it,I realized that wasn't the best I could have done because it made it sit lower in the water and raised the center of gravity.I would use some lightweight piping this time and get some of that rubberized stuff in a can to put between the piping frame and the hull for quietness.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/22 14:37:23 (permalink)
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_77288/mpage_1/key_project/tm.htm#78230
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/23 10:01:23 (permalink)
    I'd look into using something a little more lightweight and rot resistant like starboard.  My 14' starcraft has a full floor and casting deck with a few added storage compartments (all added by previous owner) made out of 1/2" treated plywood and my boat is too heavy.  With a 15 hp on it, I can only get 14-16 mph on it by myself with a light load.  Put my wife and daughter on it with fishing gear and cooler for drinks and I am down to 8-9 mph.  I like the casting deck but I could do without the full floor.  It just adds so much weight.  I am looking for a used 20hp to upgrade but they are impossible to find now.  Good luck with your boat.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/23 11:29:38 (permalink)
    try using alum sheets little expensive but so is starbord i would glue and screw also those benches are for strenght if you remove them the boat will flex too much and can pop rivits loose and will start to leak also for sound deading and to stop any leaks use a rool on bed liner like rinno or other i use 3/4 wood and its pt seal the edges use a 5100 and it will stop screws coming loose and will make a better job and you can go to lows and get a good outdoor carpet at 1/2 the cost just glue down and and blood washes off even lt gry color or blue many of salmon bleed on my boats just hose out at the end of the day hope this helps also use piano hindges of ss its worth the money i use a surplus store in youngstown called star supply not open on sundays they also have steel and alum sheets as well as a little of everything else hope that helps o ya if you want ill shoot a email where they are
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/23 11:35:39 (permalink)
    Is it a good idea to rip the middle seat out of it, or will this compromise the integrity of the hull?  Read mixed reviews about it.  I've been borrowing a 14' mirrocraft up until this point. It is pretty much the same boat as the one i just bought.  It has the middle seat out of it, and seems to be just fine w/o it.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/23 15:53:04 (permalink)
    here is another idea  build a rod locker on the sides this gives storage and support when the lid is closed some older boats used a foam in the floor this is part of the boat if removed replace the foam i have used spray in a can but one draw back is foam is it does not get along with gas or most glue does the same, ive redone a few boats for my self and others  and seems as many times as you do it you can always do something better run heavy wire good wire not cheap stuff use wireloom crimp and solder and tape just a few things i have a 16 ft i have redone 2times and tried the cheap way and now spent money and time have duel batts two trool motors and a 35hp and a 9.9hp just took the 80hp off drive fog lights for night time and i have 6interior lights to tie line at nights and its a 1970 alum  not a lund or a crest but very fishable on erie or onterio and many rivers and lakes just to say a fe w
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/23 17:50:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the ideas everybody.  Read a couple other places about using sheet aluminum for the floor. Leadmen, do you know what thickness will suffice? I work in a tool shop and decided to price aluminum sheet today, and WOW! I think I'd have more in the floor than the whole package cost me.  Not trying to cheap out on it, but not trying to break the bank either.  Plan on taking some time on this, so i'll have some time to decide exactly how i want to attack it.  Want to have a solid plan before i start though. 
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/23 22:55:12 (permalink)
    Crappie,

I like the idea of a rod locker on the side but don't think it will be long enough if you have rods longer than 6' if you decide to remove the center bench. Not sure on structural integrity either. Leadmen has a good idea for the roll on Rhino liner for the wood to keep it from rotting,it may add some weight though to the package. Maybe price some heavier conduit you can bend for the plywood deck frame to lighten the weight.
    pinball
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/24 16:55:35 (permalink)
    CS,

Follow the link to the boat talk section of tinboats.net.  The boats they modify are really just amazing.  A very friendly group who share information freely. 

Take care and good luck!

http://tinboats.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
    post edited by pinball - 2008/07/24 16:56:20
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/25 06:55:47 (permalink)
    Thanks pinball. Just registerd on the site.  Looks like there will be a wealth of information.
    pinball
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/25 16:21:24 (permalink)
    Glad I could help you out!  Have fun!
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/25 16:29:01 (permalink)
    I hate to be a downer on this issue.  But, you may want to do a good cost analysis before you get started.  When I was looking for a boat, my first choice was to get a johnboat and convert.  I thought that it would be fun to do some converting and have always went the creative approach on most things.  But after doing a good bit of digging around, the cost will add up really quickly.  If you look around, you will very likely find a boat that is very similar to your end product for a little more than you paid for the starting platform.  There was a really nice conversion boat on craigslist for the longest time, for little more than most unconverted boats.  You will also find some factory converted boats at about the same price as many unconverted johns too. 

So, if you do the conversion, just know that you will likely not get the money back that you put in when you resale, yet paid for your time.  If you have the time and would rather be boat building than fishing, they are very nice and would imagine very rewarding (which can be worth it in this aspect).  Boats in general, are going to require a good bit of work, unless you have the cash for new.

Also, if you are considering putting a console in, you will likely reconsider after looking at costs...  That is where I was, and couldn't justify $3k in parts (mostly used too), to put together what I could buy completed for $2k.  There are a lot of boats on the market.  Most of which come free with the purchase of a good motor...
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/27 07:52:20 (permalink)
    to buy it is good to build is better its pride one of a kind my little16 has the things larger boats do not have 6 interior lights casting platform counsel/storage locker duel batt two ele bow and stern two motors with duel cont and yes a 160 watt stero for scarin the **** out of the fish in the cove and its taken 5ft or larger on erie been 15miles out and has been on the niagg river and has fished ontero been to middle basss wow and will run from ash to conn just as fast as my big boat its ugly to some and sweet to others
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/27 11:14:23 (permalink)
    good site.  as for taking out the middle seat, would the manufacturer be able to tell you if it would affect the structural integrity?  seems like a good idea.  

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/27 22:49:45 (permalink)
    I think it is a perfect site for anyone who has an aluminum boat that isn't satisfied with what they have got to fish with now or have an issue with something on the boat. Good stuff there especially since here in PA we have 90% HP restricted lakes. Some of the owners on there have removed the middle seat and constructed some kind of brace under the deck to counteract any flex in the hull, but it doesn't read like many had any problems removing it and doing nothing else. Crappie, is that boat done yet?
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/30 08:43:03 (permalink)
    Well said leadmen.  It's not about the cost (although as stated before, i'm not trying to break the bank), its about the enjoyment of getting my hands on it.  Did some rough cost estimates, and all in all i could probbably buy something comparable for what i'm going to put into it, but i want the satisfaction of being out in MY boat.  Decided to go with a new motor which is going to ding me pretty good, but the rest of the boat should be well within my price range. 
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/07/30 11:39:55 (permalink)
    well a good moter is priceless if your on a little pond or a big lake hay dont be shy take befor and after when my wife seen the 16 ft the floor was bad and was a wadeing pool for frogs now its has carpet 4seats and tunes and oya 4 moters
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/08/04 15:28:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: leadmen

its pride

Definitely.  I spend well more than half of my free time working on my house and car for that very reason.  

Fishing is my escape.  Adding more work than a boat already adds would likely make it much less of one.

I applaud those that do the conversions, as they are what you want and you made.  Just wanted to throw out some info that I had found while doing my research.  Incase those (like myself) that were thinking it is a cheaper and easy way to get that fishing machine that they really don't have the money for.
    Triple B
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/08/05 14:18:38 (permalink)
    Took the middle seat out of a 14' mirrocraft and installed a floor myself on first boat.  Removing seat definately affected strenghth of boat.  I ran a piece of Plywood from front seat to back about 6" wide cut to fit boat contours, then carpeted.  Made for a nice area to mount stuff and handy shelf to work off of while fishing.  Had access to some cedar planks for the floor.  We cut a cedar 4x4 at an angle to mount in the center to level from front to back.  Then planks went accross.  Each had to be cut to length and angled where they met the hull - was a time consuming job but it turned out real nice. Filled in what small gaps there were along edges with expanding foam, trimmed and then carpeted.  Made for a great lightweight, no rot floor if you can find some.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/08/05 15:57:31 (permalink)
    i thought it would do that the wood helps to give the strength back the foam will help glue and seal up good rod locker area
    striperguy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: First Boat Help 2008/08/24 09:58:58 (permalink)
    just wanted to say,i took the center seat out of my 16 foot smokercraft 20 years ago.put in a plywood floor,fished all over in it   lake  erie,ontario,numerous rivers.never had a problem.sold it and bought a new 16 foot polarcraft,yep,i took out the center seat.put in 3 swivel seats,worksjust fine.do it and u will love it.makes the boat a much better fishing machine,and its very comfortable.   just my 2 cents  
    Jump to: