Yough river?

Author
fish12
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/07 16:04:53 (permalink)

Yough river?

With all the talk on here about the Yough river, does anyone on here fish around Little Boston?  Or is there somewhere  near there that is better?  I'm not familiar with the Yough but I'm going to start fishing there out of a boat and from shore.  I have a friend in Little Boston.
post edited by fish12 - 2007/05/07 16:05:40

14 Replies Related Threads

Ax
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 16:45:36 (permalink)
    I think SmallieKiller is from that area and fishes down there.  If you have a boat the West Newton section of the Yough is nice and it is stocked with trout like crazy by a local sportmans club.  West Newton is not far from Little Boston.

Then if you want to go a little further Smithton is a decent place to wade fish and to fish from shore in some spots.  All depends what you want to catch.

Both Smithton and West Newton are stocked with trout by local clubs.
    Little35
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 16:52:34 (permalink)
    fish12, if you do end up fishing one of the above mentioned sections of the Yough, don't forget to buy a I Helped Stock the Yough button from the West Newton, Whittset, and Smithton Sportsmans Clubs. They are the reason the Yough is stocked with trout.
    fish12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 16:58:25 (permalink)
    I fish for everything.  Whatever I can fish for and catch is fine with me.  I know about  buying the pins to support the trout stockings.  I bought one years ago and will buy one again.

I'm not from anywhere near the Yough but a friend if mine is.  Unfortunately, she can't tell me much about the fishing but since I'm now down that way often I want to learn of some places that I can fish down there.  So any advice that I can get to get me steered in the right direction I would really appreciate.

Thanks
    post edited by fish12 - 2007/05/07 16:59:30
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 17:13:01 (permalink)
    anywhere on the yough is better then boston. if you dont want to travel far you have buena vista just up river as the next point of access and 10th ward in mckeesport down river. best bet would be any good looking water from sutersville to connellsville. im particularly fond of the whitsett to connellsville section but its because im a biased smallmouth fisher.

btw if you want to look at places before you go check them out on google earth or microsoft visual earth. between those two and the USGS site its about all the research you should need before you head out.
    post edited by plnoldrick - 2007/05/07 17:14:20
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 17:53:16 (permalink)
    i would say the best part of the yough is layton, but i dont care at all for stocked trout
    Little35
    Avid Angler
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 18:06:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fish12

I fish for everything.  Whatever I can fish for and catch is fine with me.  I know about  buying the pins to support the trout stockings.  I bought one years ago and will buy one again.

I'm not from anywhere near the Yough but a friend if mine is.  Unfortunately, she can't tell me much about the fishing but since I'm now down that way often I want to learn of some places that I can fish down there.  So any advice that I can get to get me steered in the right direction I would really appreciate.

Thanks

fish12, I did'nt mean to offend anyone about buying buttons. I just wanted to let you know who stocks the river and how to support them if you want.

Many fisherman wade the river just above stream of the West Newton bridge. Hus Lures  
    post edited by Little35 - 2007/05/07 18:09:25
    fish12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 21:30:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Little35

Thanks

fish12, I did'nt mean to offend anyone about buying buttons. I just wanted to let you know who stocks the river and how to support them if you want.

Many fisherman wade the river just above stream of the West Newton bridge. Hus Lures  

Little35,
    I wasn't offended at all!   I planned on buying a button again this year when I get out there . From what I understand those clubs have a good thing going on there.
    The only place I have ever fished on the Yough was at the bridge in West Newton.  I seen some nice fish caught, trout, but I didn't get any.  I looked at the river in Little Boston a few times and that is what made me want to ask about it. Is West Newton far from Little Boston?  Is there a boat launch there in West Newton and is the river deep enough for a 16" deep V? 

Mark
    post edited by fish12 - 2007/05/07 21:32:53
    matt_esox
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 22:08:01 (permalink)
    I fish the lower Yough quite often.. usually put in at 10th ward and go up. There are a few good spots along there. You definately need your boat to get to most of them. I've had some nice fish right below the railroad bridge before Boston. Trolling through this stretch has actually been pretty effective for me. We've caught a lot of bass on creek chubs. There are a lot of nice spots up stream from Boston too. Then again, there are great spots all up and down the river.
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 22:45:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: matt_esox

I fish the lower Yough quite often.. usually put in at 10th ward and go up. There are a few good spots along there. You definately need your boat to get to most of them. I've had some nice fish right below the railroad bridge before Boston. Trolling through this stretch has actually been pretty effective for me. We've caught a lot of bass on creek chubs. There are a lot of nice spots up stream from Boston too. Then again, there are great spots all up and down the river.

there are deffinatly good parts of the lower yough. i got my first walleye and smallie of the year out of 10th ward. i got my biggest smallie of last year from right in front of the pylon of the railroad bridge. hell i caught a friggin 14" brown trout last week where long run dumps in! BUT, and a big BUT the boston park area is probably the worst suited section of the whole river for anything to call home. being a shore/wade fisherman (poor) i have to say i would much rather take my chances at 10th ward or buena vista then boston. unless my goal is 8 inch sauger then boston is hands down the way to go!

btw.. what kinda boat are you in? i live like 10 minutes away and im down there all the time. if i see ya i'll shoot ya the boaters wave lol
    Little35
    Avid Angler
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/07 22:57:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Little35

Thanks

Little35,
    I wasn't offended at all!   I planned on buying a button again this year when I get out there . From what I understand those clubs have a good thing going on there.
    The only place I have ever fished on the Yough was at the bridge in West Newton.  I seen some nice fish caught, trout, but I didn't get any.  I looked at the river in Little Boston a few times and that is what made me want to ask about it. Is West Newton far from Little Boston?  Is there a boat launch there in West Newton and is the river deep enough for a 16" deep V? 

Mark

The only launch I know that you could launch a 16' DV from is the launch right across the railroad tracks across from Giant Eagle. I looked at the launch last month and it was pretty messed up with ruts. It may be in better shape now. You would be able to fish from right below the West Newton bridge to Gratztown or Sutersville. Depending how big of an outboard you have and with a DV the water conditions would have to be a little higher to go up steam under the bridge.

Someone else might be able to give you some info on a different launch.

I can't give you an accuate drive time. I have not driven that direction in years. You could always do a Google map. West Newtons zip is 15089.

FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/08 06:53:33 (permalink)
    I fished last night at Mckees Point Marina.
    Water Temperature was 61 on the surface.
    Caught 2 smallmouth, 2 spots, and a Rainbow.
    First trout I've caught there.
    It will get much better over the next 3 weeks.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/08 15:01:56 (permalink)
    ok here are some nice shore fishing spots.  under the 15th street bridge is the stellmet plant(i think it's still called that) go to the far upstream end and  fish down stream.  next from the end of the steelmet fence go upstream about a 1/2 - 3/4 mile, used to be a pylon there with a "P17" mark, there is a small power substation on the road with a small trib coming in.  fish the backeddy.  the area around the RR bridge is good, both sides.  next upstream of the RR bridge, walk the old RRbed until you come to a small bridge for a trib, fish this area.  when your fishing here look upstream and few hundred yards and you'll see a bend in the river, fish the outside bend.  have fun
    matt_esox
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/08 21:59:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: plnoldrick

ORIGINAL: matt_esox

there are deffinatly good parts of the lower yough. i got my first walleye and smallie of the year out of 10th ward. i got my biggest smallie of last year from right in front of the pylon of the railroad bridge. hell i caught a friggin 14" brown trout last week where long run dumps in! BUT, and a big BUT the boston park area is probably the worst suited section of the whole river for anything to call home. being a shore/wade fisherman (poor) i have to say i would much rather take my chances at 10th ward or buena vista then boston. unless my goal is 8 inch sauger then boston is hands down the way to go!

btw.. what kinda boat are you in? i live like 10 minutes away and im down there all the time. if i see ya i'll shoot ya the boaters wave lol

I completely agree on Boston. It's a good producer for cats, and that is about it. I have caught a few other fish there over the years, but nothing notable, and few and far in between. As far as the lower stretch goes, I like to toss behind the pillers on any of the bridges on sunny days such as today. I'm heading up toward Turner Valley this weekend to tie into pike.
    I have a gray closed bow 14' glasstron. Flag me down, there's always room for one more!
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Yough river? 2007/05/09 21:43:03 (permalink)
    Water temperature was 62 degrees at Mckee's Point this morning.
    Several bass have moved in shallow and were doing the spawn dance.
    Jump to: