the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ...

Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/07 14:13:44 (permalink)

the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ...

helped out with the stocking of the raystown branch of the juniata last week the somerset county portion. Followed a guy in a red pickup with a tank in the back once he said he no longer needed help I started fishing....this river well I should say Creek is the very upper portion of the juniata but a local guy stoped an told me the name and I forgot it. Does anyone know what it would be called?

8 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ... 2007/05/07 14:59:57 (permalink)
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ... 2007/05/07 15:54:39 (permalink)
    didnt help me what so ever lol. I fished in the somerset county side of new baltimore. its the creek that Starts the Raystown branch of the juniata/
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ... 2007/05/07 17:28:15 (permalink)
    http://www.jcwp.org/newsletters/newsletter5.htm

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/covered_bridge_somerset_new_baltimore.htm]

The Raystown Branch of the Juniata River begins its journey in Somerset County, on the eastern slopes of the Allegheny Front.  The stream flows east and north for about 120 miles, through the boroughs of Bedford, Everett, and Saxton.  The Raystown Branch subbasin features a drainage area of 964 square miles and a population of approximately 48,200 in the northern half of Bedford County, southwestern Huntingdon County, and a portion of western Fulton County.  This represents 28 percent of the land area in the watershed and 15 percent of the population.  Because it drains the Broad Top plateau, the largest coal field in the entire Juniata River watershed, the Raystown Branch and its tributaries have been severely impacted by acid mine drainage (AMD).  The AMD-impacted fisheries in this subbasin include Hartman Run, Longs Run, Miller Run, Sandy Run, Sixmile Run, and Shoup’s Run (EPA Region III, 1995).  At the northernmost end, Raystown Dam backs up the stream to form Raystown Lake, a popular recreation area and, at 8,300 acres, the largest lake in Pennsylvania.  The Raystown Branch joins the Juniata River a few miles downstream of Huntingdon Borough
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/05/07 17:33:10
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ... 2007/05/07 19:45:23 (permalink)
    As far as i know the creek that comes under rt 30 and flows to new baltimore is called breastworks run. there is another creek that joins just above new baltimore also (gladden run?)and they flow down past the new baltimore sportsmans shooting range. where it begins to be called the raystown branch i have no idea but thats where it starts. there are probably a couple of other small streams that join in somerset county but i don't think they are stocked. i do know of a stream near new baltimore that flows into the breastworks where i have seen native brookies in during hunting season.

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ... 2007/05/08 00:28:08 (permalink)
    where i fished its posted for hunting but fishing is aloud. the road came out on route 31 near roxberry. its the part of the stream that meets with breastworks.  i was told it wasnt stocked past brestworks.... but it is i followed the stock truck up in over many dirt roads. some sprotsmans club has the area marked but allows fishing.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ... 2007/05/08 08:49:18 (permalink)
    Using a detailed online topo, here's what I came up with.  The stream in Roxbury is Reitz Creek which is a trib of Stony creek but it doesn't appear to be the headwaters of the juniata Raystown branch.  The first creeks to enter it are Wambaugh run, Lick run, and Breastwork run.  All pretty much hit it together about two miles east of its headwaters.  Wills run is a trib. of Breastwork.  There appears to be a stream that ends up a spring just east of the headerwaters, Buffalo creek, then the juniata pops up.

I really have no idea, just passing time.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    QuackerSmacker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ... 2007/05/08 09:45:43 (permalink)
    Was the stocking done by New Baltimore Sportsmans club? You may want to ask some of the members at the club, which has signs along the road that will get you there, have a good day.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: the stocking of raystown branch of the juniata ... 2007/05/08 15:12:30 (permalink)
    I didn't think a creek in roxbury would flow over the mountain but i thought maybe kyler16 was talking about the stream you reach by going thru roxbury on 31 for a couple of more miles then turning left at the water treatment plant/or at dividing ridge.

If you turn left at dividing ridge that road will connect eventually with the road that goes from rt 30 to new baltimore. Right at that stop sign where those 2 meet there is another stream that goes into breastworks or vice versa. I still can't remember its name but gladden run is my best guess as the names you mentioned don't ring any bells. I always thought that creek was stocked to but i don't know for sure as i never fished it.
    Jump to: