bamboo fly rods

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/09 11:00:23 (permalink)

bamboo fly rods

have seen a few, beautiful to look at and the craftmanship is boggling in today's mass produced arena.  i could never understand their attraction, but i am not much of a fly fisherman.  looks as though the action would be slow and the rods brittle.  for those who use them, could you tell me a little about them? 

28 Replies Related Threads

anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/10 23:26:51 (permalink)
    A friend let me try a few casts with a newish Bean (or was it Orvis?) 5 wt bamboo. It was slower and heavier than my similar length and weight graphite rods (none of 'em top of the line, my kids call me a "value consumer").  It was a gem of a rod, and priced accordingly, which to me was the problem. Hard to justify the price diff between functional graphite and heirloom quality bamboo, especially in a world full of slippery rocks, slamming car doors and chronic klutziness. And like I said, I'm a value consumer. Okay, cheap. 
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 00:02:06 (permalink)
    And like I said, I'm a value consumer. Okay, cheap. 

anchke, that made me laugh.  guess i am there also.  and klutzie as heck too.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 02:12:20 (permalink)
    rapala11,
         Yes bamboo is heavier and slower than modern graphite.  And, it must be fished slower, easier casts and less force on the rod but most people feel that the feel and the touch you get with good bamboo is worth the weight  (pardon the pun).
           Classic rods can be had for as little as 100.00 in "fishable" condition with some junk rods going for as little as 20 bucks  (or they should)..  The better and the best classic bamboo rods really can put you back some serious bucks but the experience of catching a fish with the same type of material used 100 years ago is priceless to some.
           I have been playing with bamboo for years and have restored many to "fishable" condition and I haven't had a complaint from anybody who's fished with them.   There's even one fellow; who will remain nameless, who caught 3 steelhead on a 5 wt bamboo rod in the chutes a few years ago, before it broke.  And I have landed 2 both on lower elk, in the past two years.
          Why don't you come to the "one Fly" this fall and then maybe you can win a classic.  (I give away a restored clssic rod each year)
           I guess fishing with bamboo is like driving a 57 chevy you really don't need to. . . . but it sure is neat.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 08:41:04 (permalink)
    indy, my father had one (not sure of it's worth) in the 60s.  one of the tip sections broke so he bought a glass rod.  what i do remember was the ease of casting the cane.  it was also pretty neat looking to a young guy like me.  guess what appealed to me most was the craftsmanship.  plus i like old things.

a cane rod is on my lotto list, with a 73 camaro rally sport and a lc smith double.  i will come to the one fly, just to meet up, but would love to see one of your rods.

can only guess (having never fished one) that it would be like putting a stradivarius in the hands of a violinist.

thanks for the info.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 11:49:01 (permalink)
    Rap, I,ll bring one that indsguis made to the get together. You,ll love it.

formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 15:13:15 (permalink)
    Bamboo rods are far more durable than their graphite counterparts- hard to break a bamboo rod to be honest...
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 15:24:58 (permalink)
    formerguide,
         You should talk to Bughawk!
    Rpala11
         I am currently working on bringing the cost of hand assembled, hand wrapped and finished bamboo rods down to the price where most people can afford them.  Right now the components for a really nice rod will set a person back just about twice what a nice graphite rod will.  The biggest problem with bamboo is in the wrapping and finishing.  What looks good on 'phite, IMHO usually doesn't look good on bamboo.  I am now in the process of building some rods  (presently on hold due to my back) and I hope to show them at the "One Fly".  I am pretty well jammed with trying to get antiques re-done.   They take soooooooo long to re-do right.  But then again that's just my opinion.

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 15:31:08 (permalink)
    thanks guys.  looking forward to seeing one.  i just received a new wintson catalog and they ranged in price there from 2300-3000.00.  sure are nice looking though.  again, i like things old.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 18:14:09 (permalink)
    rapala11
         I don't know how many of the people on this site who have one of my re-done rods have the capability of posting pictures but maybe some of them will post pix for you.

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 18:18:18 (permalink)
    i'd like to see.  btw, what kind of reel would you match up with a cane rod?  my father fished for bass and gills in the 30 thru the early 60s (when he had time) and used an old south bend automatic.  he wasn't a purist, rather fishing with live bait or the ocassional popper, royal coachman, or mcginty.  the reel was many times heavier than the rod.  he never complained, though.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 18:49:17 (permalink)
    rapala11,
        Personally I like an old Pfleuger Meadlist.   My 2d choice is any period correct automatic.  Third choice is an appropriate Ocean City reel.   There are probably more types of reels than there are rods.  I have over 60 old reels (mostly operational;) in my conglomeration and about 92 bamboo rods from different makers.   Plus 6 that I have made to "speriment" with.
        I also forgot, for a really old rod an old skeleton reel looks great.
        One of the reasons for the big automatic reels was to act as a counterbalance to the weight of a larger heavier rod, and to hold more line.  I have two old rods that balance excellently with old Southbend automatic reels which are way to heavy for anything graphite.
        But these combos can be really arm-killing after a long day.
        It's just my opinion but the newer reels just look sort of odd to ME when they are placed on a classic rod.  Simple seems best to me.
        There are some reproductions of classic reels out there and they look great but are very pricey.  Again, I have a couple of old originals; made of bakelite/nickle -silver and they are wondeful but I shy away from any serious use due to their scarcity and value.  And the fact that I tend to slip and fall a lot when fishing anymore.

PS:  If you decide to get the bamboo "bug" be very careful.  There are some people out there who will try to sell you something common and make it sound rare or try to sell something that was a poor value when it was new in the 20's and without massive re-building is marginal today.  I will say repeatedly that I am not the do-all of bamboo rods I only have my opinions and experiences to fall back on.  An excellent book to read  (If you can find a copy) is Keanes'  "Bamboo Flyrods and their Makers".  read it, memorize it and you won't go very wrong.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2008/07/11 18:55:23

Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 19:52:39 (permalink)
    Words really don't describe a good cane rod.  The best I can describe a good cane rod is that it becomes an extension of your casting arm that allows you to feel the fish's heartbeat when you hook them. 

On the other hand, there's crappy cane rods.  They suck.  Most are overly heavy, are put together rather poorly (really evident in the wraps, gluing and varnish job), have poor components (crappy cork, ferrules made of metal other than nickel-silver, etc), don't have enough guides for the length of the rod and are built on a poor taper (poor taper and lack of guides directly translates to poor casting).

The idea that all cane rods are slow, delicate and heavy is a misnomer.  A well built cane rod can be relatively light and any action that you want, not just slow.  And very durable when used and taken care of properly.  Of course, you'll typically pay much more for good cane than you will for crappy cane.  Being so, many folks start out with a cheap, crappy rod and have a poor experience, which leads to not liking them and putting out the slow, heavy, fragile crap.

Take some time to do some reading over at http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/  There are a ton of knowledgable cane rod lovers and some of the country's best builders who contribute volumes of knowledge to anyone who wants to do some reading.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 20:45:33 (permalink)
    ownership may never happen, but it still neat learning about them.  i am in my 50s and my father is wetting a line elsewhere with the saints, but i remember him talking about varnishing the rod and soaking silk lines or leaders.  he fished out of a canvas canoe and would sleep next to it all night prior to the bass opener. 

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/11 23:28:20 (permalink)

Here is one that Jack is redoing for me.

anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/14 22:12:32 (permalink)
    Ah, rapala11, I see why you're interested in bamboo. It's true that it's hard to develop an emotional tie to graphite.

You asked about a suitable reel -- check out the Orvis Battenkill, still available at a very reasonable price. Alternatively, the Okuma magnitude looks like a traditional reel and is very serviceable, but you may wince at the off-shore origin on a bamboo rod. (Then, again, I don't know where today's Battenkills are made.)

And, finally, you might look up, "A Fly Fisher's Life," by Charles Ritz. It includes a chapter on "The Split Cane Fly Rod," which may be of interest.

Careful, though on Ritz's casting advice. In the first place, he's partial to rods with parabolic action. In the second place, Joan Wulff once complained that, "Every time I see Charlie, he wants to tell me about the best way to cast. And it's a different way every time."
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/15 00:01:55 (permalink)
    john, thanks for the pic....brought back some memories.  i love the passions you guys have for fly fishing.  although i have a couple of rods, i find little time to use them.  but i sure enjoy the posts here.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/15 00:53:03 (permalink)
    rapala11,
         Most of the rods I have could rightly be classified as old pieces of crap!   But at one time they were good, adequate fishing rods.  So I like to refurbish them so that they may live again to catch at least one more fish; and then be retired to a place of honor above a mantle, or continued to fish.   Don't forget there were also bamboo casting rods and a few spinning rods.  I hope to have a few finished soon, conditions permitting.

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/15 08:29:00 (permalink)
    i have heard of the bamboo casting rods, but never spinning.  neat.  hope when you head north that you bring some of your art.  my father bought a ranger .22 from a pawn shop during the depression.  although young, he made a beautiful (cherry?) stock for it.  it was artistic in his own right.  boiled linseed oil and dipped and rubbed forever.  i own that gun today and it is a beaut.

i wish these tools of the part could talk and tell us some stories.  anchke is right, it is hard to develop an intimacy with graphite.

where do you pick up your restoration projects at?  

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/15 20:56:40 (permalink)
    Rapala11,
         Mostly from yard sales and estate auctions.  Sometimes a person will give me one in exchange for me restoring another.  Sometimes people will just give me broken or messed up ones that need restored because they want them to live again and they have no use for them. 
         I have bought a few on e-bay but I avoid that pretty much now since there is some really bad fraud going on on e-bay in the antique rod market.  There is one guy who will buy under one name and sell under another who will buy an old rod, slap a coat of varnish on it (without repairing any of the flaws) and then re-list it as a refinished valuable antique.  There are some other people who will get a cheap old Monteague and strip the decal off and try to pass it off as a more expensive model by another maker.  I have a rule to never sell anything I get.  I do sell the new stuff I make but only to friends (it isn't any sort of a business)  Mostly I restore and then give them away at the One Fly or to friends, or at the PSA banquet.   Again I will restore for people, but I hate to accept money except when the rod requires new parts.
          If you are interested in getting one I'd suggest antique stores, or estate sales.  I once got 12 rods for under 100 bucks, as a lot, because most of them were in bad shape but the one that I got in the lot was a jewel.  Over 108 years old (pre1900).  It went as a door prize at the PSA banquet.   If you want to know more I'll tell you all I know (which ain't much) e-mail me at: hemilovr@hotmail.com

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/16 00:06:10 (permalink)
    thanks.  one more question, if you don't mind.  where did you learn to restore and make cane rods?  it isn't as if there are schools for this lost art.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/16 08:13:43 (permalink)
    rapala,
        Well, it all started when I was about 14 years old.  My grandmother loved to fish (and she was VERY good) and her favorite rod was a bamboo casting rod that grandpap had worked for in trade.  Now this was the early 30's and he was a master stone mason so he worked for two days building a fireplace on a wealthy man's patio in exchange for the rod.  { Now considering that a master mason makes about 20 bucks an hour now days;(25 cents back in the depression) and grandpap worked about 10-12 hour days, that rod ment a lot to grandma}  Well one day as she was fishing she slipped and broke the rod in the middle (greenstick fracture).
         This upset her so much that I asked if I could try to fix the rod (which was going to be thrown out, or stored in the corner for the next 50 years).  Since she had nothing to loose, and all the sporting goods stores we went to said it was impossible or would be too expensive, my dad bought me an old book on building rods and I started reading.  I found out about the old glues and finishes (mostly varnish and spar varnish)  I learned how the old timers wrapped the rods by hand. and basically what materials were used.  Then I "exsperemented" with the rod.  It took about three weeks but I got it stripped, mended the break (it hadn't snapped in two) and gave it back to her.
          All my relatives at the time said that it was a waste of time to do all that because fiberglass was soo cheap and graphite was just starting to come on , as was boron and other fibers now no longer used.  I had to admit that spending about 40 hours repairing a rod worth back then about $5.00 was pretty much a waste of time money wise but it was fun and there was a steep learning curve, and I've done it as a hobby off and on ever since.  Now when I say 40 hours that is the labor time just repairing the rod.  The time reading the books and trying out techniques on other pieces of broken rod (there were a lot of these around in the 60's) took months before I tried the whole rod.
         There is no way I could ever make any money doing it since it is so time consuming (at least the way I do it) but when my back allows me to sit bent over a bench, with some classical music on the radio, for at least 4-5 hours, I like to work on them.  I find that I have to have at least 4 hours or my work is inconsistant from piece to piece on the rod.   Besides, it's fun to fix something everyone else says it unfixable.  And in all of the reading I've done I've learned some very esoteric things about how one man would do something different from another and sometimes some stuff that was pretty amazing.
         I still haven't arrived at the point where I split my own cane; but I have done it  once to make up a new mid for a very nice rod.   And I have completely delaminated some and returned at least one basket case and shortened it and re-made it for a good friend  (T.T. are you there?).  So that's about it.  I do about 16-18 a year and it seems to make some people happy and they don't seem to mind the wait.
         I sure don't know everything there is to know.  And I have some opinions on old bamboo that others disagree with me on but everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.  I'll just keep doing what I do as long as I have friends who appreciate the gift or the work.

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/16 08:41:06 (permalink)
    impressive.  i love the fact that you took fishing and mixed it with art and craftmanship.  it must be a joy to hold something brought back to life without the "made in....." sticker on it.  thanks for spending time answering my questions.  took me back to the 60s when my father and i fished.  could never figure out how he could cast that far and that straight with a whippy rod and heavy line and without effort.  wish i could see him one more time, cigarette in mouth, smile on face, lifting that line off of the water and setting it back down.

again, thanks....rich  

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/17 17:56:28 (permalink)
    Talk about flashbacks-- In the early fifties my dad started me fly fishing with bamboo when I was 8-9 years old. We spent many hours on Spring creek and the Brokenstraws working dries to rising trout. My biggest problem was learning proper hook set. His constant speach to me was (you don't have to break their damm necks)--broke a lot of rod ends before I learned to do it right.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/18 16:19:46 (permalink)
    S-10 got me remembering.
    One nice thing about bamboo is that if you break a few inches off the tip, there are builders out there that can splice (referred to as scarfing) a new tip onto the section. Six or seven years ago I had this done on a particular rod that had some value. I was a bit skeptical at first but was surprised at the end result. I had to really look hard to find the splice. The cane color, taper and tiptop wrap matched perfectly. Also, the two inch splice was guaranteed not to fail. He charged me $60.00 for the work. (Guys name was Wes Cooper and I heard his prices have gone up a bit).

I agree with those that say bamboo is tougher than graphite. A graphite rod is hollow and today’s high modulus graphite rods are fairly thin walled.  If you step on a graphite rod, it’s going to crush. If you get a small ding or scratch, it greatly weakens the rod.  Not so with bamboo.  Those old bamboo rods you see around with broken sections were broke the same way graphite rods are broke today, the biggest culprit being car trunk lids and doors.

Yea, new boo cost more than graphite rods. Today’s boo rod is also lighter, crisper and better built than those golden era rods.
    Right now there are more bamboo rod builders than ever before. You can even take week long classes where one learns by building their own rod of choice. Prices are still higher compared to graphite rods. Local builders usually charge $400 to $800.
    Those long time reputable builders in high demand charge well over $2000 and can have waiting times as long as 5 years. But there is an upside to the price and wait. Those rods hold there value and many increase in value over the years.
    Rapala mentioned Winston bamboo rods so I'll use that as an example. People will pay more for a used Winston than a new Winston. Most of the used 5-30 year old rods are just as good as the new ones if they were well cared for. People will also be willing to pay more to avoid the 1-2 year wait. And, as in Winston’s case, there is historic value to many of their rods, especially the era when Glen Bracket was in charge of the rod shop. (BTW, recently, the four builders at Winston left the company to form there own.)   http://www.uppermidwestflyfishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1174

Yea, collectibility can really increase a rods value. When Tom Maxwell was at the Leonard rod Company in the 1980’s, his rods would sell for $300-$400. Now those Maxwell era rods are worth 3 to 4 thousand.
     On the other hand, you’d think Orvis cane rods would hold their value but actually you could get a 40 yr old 7 ½ ft Battenkill rod for less than a third of the price of a new $1800 Orvis rod. And that old rod would be in every way just as fishable. One thing about the old Battenkills, they were pretty much indestructible. 
    As for me, I prefer fishing bamboo for rods that are 8ft and shorter. Over 8ft and I’m a graphite fan. There is something to say about weight.  
    I guess its time for me to stop rambling, eh?
    post edited by dano - 2008/07/18 16:29:12

Gone Fishing
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/18 19:57:10 (permalink)
    Ah, Com'on Dano.   Don't you want to at least land one steelie on bamboo?  Maybe, just maybe, I'll build up a brand new one this year for the "One Fly" and see if it's still possible.  Of course I've never caught ANYTHING during the "One Fly" so the bamboo should be pretty safe.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/19 10:09:04 (permalink)
    Just because I prefer graphite with the longer rods don't mean I won't fish anything but.
    I got quite a few steelies on an old 8 ½ Monty Flash I picked up on Ebay for $50 or so dollars. Was a decent rod with cheap hardware. The rod held up OK but the hardware is toast.
    But, after years of turning pipe and pushing wrenches, my hands are getting a tad arthritic. Those classic 9 footers are a joy to cast but holding them for more than a couple of hours wears me out.
    A couple of shops in Buffalo are building 8’9” hollow built rods designed for Great Lakes steelheading which are supposed to be lighter in hand but the cost is way out of my budget. I still fish an old classic 8 ½ ft. rod for trout. The rod can roll cast a weighted woolly bugger a country mile and farther than any graphite rod I have.

BTW, I got a 1495 AcronO with diamonlite linegaurd and p-foot looking for a home. It needs torn down and cleaned up and lubed but it's in perfect working order. It should balance out some of those older rods of yours.  
    I could mail it to you or bring it to the 1-fly if you want. I got a few 1494’s too but I haven’t been able to find them since I moved. There in a box somewhere, some place.  I’m switching all my reels over to left hand wind.  
    post edited by dano - 2008/07/19 10:16:23

Gone Fishing
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/07/19 15:04:28 (permalink)
    Dano,  I have a sometime supplier of ferrules.  Sometimes he has em sometimes he doesn't.  If you still have the rod e-mail me the ferrule sizes and I'll see what he has in stock right now.  I'm still searching for some originals for Mikastorm, but if you're willing to upgrade or change type I should be able to help you out.   Monty's were notorious for bad ferrules and reel seats.   It's a shame too because some of their 'boo' was pretty decent, and most of it was crap  (bad glue).  I've been having a real hard time right now.  Neck & back are killing me, but I will be at the "One Fly"!

razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: bamboo fly rods 2008/08/18 08:10:01 (permalink)
    i just recieved an older bamboo fly rod.  three piece, total but with two tips.  needs new eyes, and i would like to get a new reel seat on it.  cork is dirty, but nothing that thin sand paper can't clean up.  any advice?  i would be willing to pay or barter to have someone restore it. 
    Jump to: