Strike Indicators

Author
Rio
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/05 21:55:23 (permalink)

Strike Indicators

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and would like to start with a question about the use of indicators.

How many of you guys use them and what are your favourite types? What sizes do you use most often and why?
Does it increase your odds of catching fish and why? And finally: Do you use them more to hold your fly off the bottom or have more control over your drift and strike detection?

Thanks guys!!
Rio

11 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/06 00:22:46 (permalink)
    I never use them, but I can see the advantages.

Lyrical
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/06 09:05:02 (permalink)
    On the web site http://paflyfish.com/ there's a discussion on indicators. Here is the direct link:
    http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1309&forum=7

Should help out with your questions.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/06 12:49:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rio

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and would like to start with a question about the use of indicators.

How many of you guys use them and what are your favourite types? What sizes do you use most often and why?
    Does it increase your odds of catching fish and why? And finally: Do you use them more to hold your fly off the bottom or have more control over your drift and strike detection?

Thanks guys!!
    Rio

One advantage in using an indicator is the distance that they allow you to stay away from the fish. While tight line nymphing, you stand very close to the fish, and often spook them before you even cast to them. using an indicator allows you to fish further away from the fish. I always use an indicator while I fish nymphs, and I also have my clients use them while I'm guiding. My clients always agree that after I show them the correct way to nymph with an indicator, they catch more fish.

I think another advantage to using an indicator over tight lining, is drift. If you mend properly while using an indicator, you can have a much longer drift, than possible while tight lining.

I usually use the larger sized fish pimps, they are hard to beat. Occasionally, i'll use twist ons, if I cant find fish pimps. The froghair indicators are good if you use a knotless leader.

Hope that helps

Rio
    New Angler
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/06 13:37:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link 2dog was very helpful.

Thedrake, thanks for the sage advice about using an indictor while nymphing. You mentioned properly mending the line gives you a longer drift. Could you elaborate on your mending technique a little? I think I have an idea about what your talking about but not sure when I should mend my line.

Rio
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/06 16:03:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rio

Thanks for the link 2dog was very helpful.

Thedrake, thanks for the sage advice about using an indictor while nymphing. You mentioned properly mending the line gives you a longer drift. Could you elaborate on your mending technique a little? I think I have an idea about what your talking about but not sure when I should mend my line.

Rio

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/monahan_mending.aspx

Here is a good article on mending

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/06 16:41:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

So why not use them??....just curious

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Rio
    New Angler
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/06 20:34:57 (permalink)
    That was a good article on mending, thedrake, thanks for the link. I will have to go out and practice my mending techniques so they become second-nature. I can now see many situations where a mend in the proper place can prolong your drift and make it more effective.

Rio
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/07 10:52:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Because they are Devil Spawn LOL

Lyrical
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/07 11:10:11 (permalink)
    Its rare that I use one, but as dan(drake) stated, its good for long casts, although most of the time, i can achieve the same results without one, i think its most beneficial throwing across currents the very greatly in speed.

Theres times I catch fish, where i would have never seen the strike, but I felt it. Another reason I love a slow rod.

I think if you limit yourself to not using them or always using them your missing the game. A distinct disadvantage is that the current on top is always faster then on the bottom, if your float goes under, its doing more harm then good.

I prefer orvis strike putty, stays on, comes off easy, can make any size at any time.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/08 22:18:22 (permalink)
    Tippy-
    I guess if you were looking for a real reason it would be I take a more traditional approach to my fishing.
    While I admit to useing modern rod, reel, line & leaders I choose to use only natural materials for my flies. I also choose to use traditional nymphing methods which means no indie. I believe in good casts that keep me in contact with the fly which allows me to either see a strike by watching my line, the fish, or feel the strike.
    I'm not saying it works all the time, but I don't need to catch all of em in one day.
    I don't care that people use them. I just choose not to.
    Salmo

Lyrical
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Strike Indicators 2007/05/08 22:19:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Because they are Devil Spawn LOL

Nice....   I use them to keep my depth right and avoid getting hung up before a fish can eat my offering, and I get a great dead drift. I know I miss some subtle takes but thats ok...

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Jump to: