Eyeless fishing rod

Author
royhandy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/04 15:25:56 (permalink)

Eyeless fishing rod

I am thinking about getting a Cabelas Inner Cast spinning rod.  Has anybody had any experience with them?  If so can you give me a pros/cons sort of review?

9 Replies Related Threads

hivue05
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Eyeless fishing rod 2007/05/04 18:45:27 (permalink)
    JUNK !!!
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Eyeless fishing rod 2007/05/04 21:53:27 (permalink)
    A couple of years back, CR500, gave about 126 reasons why a traditional rod is better than an interline model.  I definately agreed with most of the points. 

If interline rods were so good, every manufacturer would sell an interline series.  Production costs are probably comparable and maybe lower.

A few manufacturers market to fisherman who are looking for something different.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Eyeless fishing rod 2007/05/05 11:43:29 (permalink)

I would go with the Roland Martin rocket rod myself.  Just pump, push a button and it casts 30 ft.

SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Eyeless fishing rod 2007/05/07 10:39:53 (permalink)
    Just pump, push a button and it casts 30 ft

Seems like an awful lot of work for something most people can by with the flick of a wrist...
    CR500
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Eyeless fishing rod 2007/05/07 22:20:41 (permalink)
    w-w,

I don’t know about 126 but there are a bunch.

The idea behind an inner line rod is that there is less weight on the blank and the blank is perfectly supported during loading.  In theory this is a fantastic idea but just like me in a speedo the idea falls apart once reality sets in.

The total surface area that inside the line rubs against is far greater.
    Add some water to the inside of the blank and the friction on the line is substantial.
    Casting light offerings is very difficult.
    Dirt on the inside must be cleaned

There are others including threading but that is the real issues.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Eyeless fishing rod 2007/05/08 09:18:49 (permalink)
    I have two inline rods I purchased last year while in Nags Head.  One is a Diawa and the other a Pinnacle.  The major advantage I have seen with the inlines is the casting distance.  They are truly amazing.  Quite a few of the serious fisherman down there swear by them and have used them for years.

There are some problems as mentioned, chief of which is junk getting into them.  The other problem is threading them.  You basically have to use a special wire threader and if you are out fishing and don't have it with you, you are finished for the day... Another very serious issue is repair.  If you break the tip, the rod is pretty much junked.  They are nearly impossible to repair.

As an aside, I talked with one of the guys down there who has a professional fishing team sponsored by Diawa, and he told me that when Diawa was in the process of designing the rods, they sent several engineers to the Outer Banks to talk with the fisherman and see what it was they were looking for.  The engineers spent quite a bit of time analyzing the dynamics particularly of surf fishing and designed the rods primarily for distance casting.  The inner lining of the rod has rifling similar to what you would expect to see in a rifle, which is supposed to minimize the contact of the line with the inside of the rod.  I do know that when you pair the rod with the right reel, line and bait you can cast an inline quite a bit further than a conventional set up.

I don't know if I would buy another one of the rods, but if the price was right and being the gear junkie that I am, I would want one for my collection.  BTW - you get some really strange looks from folks when using one of these rods as well as a ton of questions.

pax vobiscum +
    royhandy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Eyeless fishing rod 2007/05/08 11:42:53 (permalink)
    @ CR500 and Bughawk:

Thanks for the info.  I hadn't considered the damage done by a break.  (I've nerver broken a rod, but it's sure something to consider.)  And the way I lose stuff, I'm sure the line threading tool would be gone in a week or so.  Guess I'll stay away from them. 
    CR500
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Eyeless fishing rod 2007/05/08 12:13:12 (permalink)
    Hey Bug,

Weight is the key to casting these types of rods.  As long as you are casting something heavy they cast fine lite offerings are tough. 

I can see you have the surf on your mind...  I have to get to the Cape at the end of this month.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Eyeless fishing rod 2007/05/08 15:25:57 (permalink)
    Yes I do have the surf on the mind, also the pier....   I am getting pretty excited.  I love the ocean and the fishing.  Steelhead fishing in one thing and I do love to walk the streams, but there is something special about the ocean.  As Forest Gump might say, "The ocean is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you are going to catch."

As for the inlines, you are right about the weight thing.  They are not all that good at light baits.  You really need to be chucking a pretty big chuck of lead and bait out there, but man do they fly.  Stick a good casting reel on one of those bad boys and you will out well beyond the breakers.

Good luck when you get to the Cape.  Catch a few blues and stippers for me.....

pax vobiscum +
    Jump to: