spruce creek

Author
lazyboatingdaze
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/22 21:45:48 (permalink)

spruce creek

Fished the state college area all weekend at various locations. The biggest disappointment was that I read a lot about spruce creek and how great it was, but found that most of it is posted and private. What is the story behind that BS.

3 Replies Related Threads

Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: spruce creek 2008/07/11 19:31:07 (permalink)
    Well, here's the lowdown.  The parts that the general public are not permitted on are great.  Some of the "owners" of these stretches of water invite outdoor writers to fish there knowing that they will write an article talking about how great they are.  This brings in business to these folks (owner get fees, as do the guides that I believe must accompany you to fish there).  The "owners" don't need to worry about overcrowding caused by too much exposure, as they control all access.  The only part that can get overcrowded, because it's public, is the Harvey section.  It's relatively short and not the best part of the stream, especially this time of year, but it does hold good fish.

In the end, all you need is a lot of expendable funding or good connections.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    troutbert
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: spruce creek 2008/07/17 22:39:33 (permalink)
    The story is that only one section is publicly owned (by Penn State University). That section is open to public fishing.

The rest of the stream mileage is owned by private landowners. Those sections are closed to the public.
    Hav2Fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: spruce creek 2008/07/22 08:44:19 (permalink)
    I know most seem put off by the private access on Spruce Creek, but I would recommend you check it out.  I have fished the section open to the public and trips have been memorable.  One weekday morning in early May we ran into swarms of large caddis.  Rising fish, while mostly small, were very receptive.  The best fish, a 15' brown, came from a fast run on a quill gordon nymph.  All with no other fisherman in sight.  It's worth putting a check mark next to it on the "streams to fish" list.

Hav2Fish
    Jump to: