Twin Lakes Thieves

Author
royhandy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/03 19:17:24 (permalink)

Twin Lakes Thieves

Last summer I was fishing for largemouth at the Lower Twin Lake.  I was on the rocks farthest from the boathouse.  I cast out and was retrieving parallel to the shoreline when I saw a catfish shoot up from the bottom, grab my spinner bait, and take off.  Broke my line!  Luckily the lure was only a $2****s special.

Another time I was on the Upper Lake fishing a Terminator spinner.  It was one of those titanium jobs with a lifetime guarantee.  I had got into the habit of casting, waiting for the line to go slack and then beginning my retrieve.  Well, I had got to the waiting for the line to go slack part when I got a really big hit.  I was totally unprepared for this occurrence and my line immediately went slack again.  I pulled in my line and the lure was gone.  There wasn't even the curly bit where the knot had been tied.  Thankfully I had gotten that lure free when Terminators first came out as a sample product.  Some old guy started laughing at me and said I was dumb to fish for bass.  He wanted to bet me that he could tie an old watch to a line and catch a bass on that.  Sadly, as neither of us had an old watch, we were unable to test this theory.

2 Replies Related Threads

JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Twin Lakes Thieves 2007/05/04 08:07:49 (permalink)
    Sounds like you need to set your drag looser or tie a differant knot,  bass or catfish arn't able to cut your line with teeth.  You can bring in a really big fish on really light line it just takes longer.
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Twin Lakes Thieves 2007/05/04 11:32:03 (permalink)
    At the very least, check your line often for nicks.  Spinnerbaits tend to lead to nicked lines on rocks, stumps, etc.  SK
    Jump to: