What's with the water levels?

Author
ddflyfish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/03 13:31:09 (permalink)

What's with the water levels?

Four of us (NH - Maine - Vermont) came up last weekend.  Needless to say, fly fishing was difficult (1800 on Fri & 3600 on Sat).  Upper fly was not an option (for us anyway).

Is there a good reason why so much water has to be released on weekends?  I hope so, because they are certainly discouraging us from any more springtime trips this year.

17 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/03 13:53:00 (permalink)
    Too bad about your trip. I can't fish those levels. In fact that's why I wasn't there last weekend.
    I heard both res. were filled to the gills and they had to release.
    Whatever is going on this yo-yo effect isn't a good thing. Is bad for the eco system and promotes bank erosion. They made an agreement to step levels up/down gradually, instead the river seems to be going from drought to flood in a matter of hours the past few weeks.
    Maybe some of the local guys have heard more.
    Salmo

Lyrical
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/03 14:44:42 (permalink)
    The river floods EVERY spring- Its just a matter of time before it happens. The problem is the size of the Res. compared to the drainage that flows into it. The Res.'s can fill very quickly and reach capacity. When this happens they have no choice but to release the water.

I cannot explain the extreme fluctuation this year of rising high and dropping low but- The fact is- If the resivoirs were bigger and held more water, we would not get the fluctuation that we have to deal with.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/04 05:49:27 (permalink)
    I could be wrong,but I don't believe steping down the river is in the FERC Agreement---1800 fished just fine the other day.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    steelie13
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/04 10:02:30 (permalink)
    May have something to do with the DAM repair.  Not sure it ever was finished last fall.

"Flyfishing is my Quisisana (the name is Italian for "place where one heals one's self"!)"
    Steel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/04 10:29:19 (permalink)
    Can someone tell my why cant the folks at the dam tell us what was going on lately rather than all the speculation flying around the internet. If they would post more than just a water level on the Waterline... a reasoning for the level.... that would put an end to all the guess work. Would that be so hard for them to post their rational for their decisions ? They must have one... I hope they are not changing things randomly for no reason. We may not like the rational but at least we would have it and might be able to understand why they are doing what they are doing.

Can anyone explain this to me ?
     Thanks,Puzzled in Maine.
    post edited by Steel - 2007/05/04 10:36:17
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/05 05:44:24 (permalink)

Foxfire
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/05 10:41:28 (permalink)
    The only advise I can give you is to keep contacting the waterline or view this data on line. The power company has target levels, which they have trended over time (don't know how long) The other factor to keep in mind is that the res. is not large, but handles an enormous amount of rain and snow run off. I am not aware of any construction projjects this year, but you never know.

I do feel that better management of flows should be implemented, but this is easier said than done. Bottom line is that it warmed up later than earlier this year and we have had a lot of rain. These factors simply equate to higher water releases. This has not happened in the prior 3 years.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/06 17:29:02 (permalink)
    It may also have something to do with the snowpack in the Tug Hill core,  Remember that 12 feet of snow that Oswego got back in February?  It made all the national news shows.  Well, they got more in Redfield, at the upper end of the reservoir, and even more further into the hill.  Last week, the snowmobile clubs went out with their magnet truck to run over the roads and trails to pick up the tire eating scuds that fall off the snowmobiles, and they couldn't get through on the Salmon River Road as there was as much as 4 feet of snow still on the road in places that are shaded.  There's still snow in the woods, (even down in the Finger Lakes) and its been cold at night, but it was prettty warm during the days lately. When the snow melts it runs to the river, and that becomes big runoff when the north and east come together. As far as making the reservoir larger, lets do it downstream where it will flood your favorite fly fihing water, rather than up on the hill where it drowns some world class brook trout habitat, a whole bunch of people's homes and camps, and allows the water to warm up even more.  I think the reservoirs are quite large enough now!  But streams on the hill didn't get named the Mad River, Roaring Brook, etc, for their summer flows.  They've been carrying huge runoff flows forever, and its just something you have to accept as part of the territory if you want to fish this part of the country this time of the year.

L13 
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/06 18:02:37 (permalink)
    Whatever happened to the good ole days when you made plans and just went fishing?? And made the best out of whatever conditions you were dealt with. Way too many armchair anglers out there now because of the dam internet. TO much pizzing and moaning about the water conditions.

But thats ok with me , you can wait for perfect conditions all you want there'll be more river for me to fish
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/05/06 19:11:07
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/06 19:08:29 (permalink)
    Beedhead-
    Pretty fair assesment, but that's the world we live in now.
    I don't fish the high levels because I don't feel comfortable. I prefer to wade a little and those levels make that dangerous at best.

Lyrical
    Steel
    New Angler
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/08 10:02:58 (permalink)
    I agree with what everyone has said here, but my real question has not been answered... Why cant they post the reason for a water level adjustment on the Waterline website right next to the flow level ?

For Example:

Until 11:59 PM today, Tue, 1800 CFS Due to maintenance.

Or

Until 11:59 PM today, Tue, 335 CFS Due to low reservoir levels.

Or

Until 11:59 PM today, Tue, 1500 CFS Due to heavy Rain in last 2 days.

Or

Until 11:59 PM today, Tue, 3500 CFS Due to Rapid Snow pack melt and rain.

They must have a REASON for their decisions... why cant they do us all a favor and post that reason ? Seems pretty simple to me.... but then again some may call me simple minded.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/08 20:53:42 (permalink)
    Steel- would be nice to chat with them about it, but I for one have no idea how to talk to a real person. I emailed Brookfield H.Q., but they're in Canada.
    Speaking of Canada I watched Canadian Bacon last night (again). Great movie.

Lyrical
    TRAVI42
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/09 23:17:04 (permalink)
    now its going reeeeeel low....185...bummer.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/10 05:47:11 (permalink)
    Why should they post a reason? It's a dam power co--we're lucky to get what we get----One used to have to be carefull--now it seems they do most of the changes at night.
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/05/10 12:00:06

Steel
    New Angler
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/11 10:13:22 (permalink)
    Salmo,
    Thanks for the attempt to contact them. Keep trying... You will probably end up talking to tech support in India !!! LOL

Metal... I would hope they would do it for public relations reasons. PR goes a long way these days when you are in an environmentally sensitive business.

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/11 13:03:54 (permalink)
    They have the power, we need the power. To them PR is BS.
    Steel
    New Angler
    RE: What's with the water levels? 2007/05/17 11:25:35 (permalink)
    Just saw this posted on Salmon Crazy...

Just came from the meeting, The chamber notice was kinda misleading, The meeting was the Waterflow advisory committee.

This committee is made up of various user groups fisheries, the chamber, guides, TU, and whitewater.

The meeting was basically a presentation by Brookfield Power followed up by a question answer session. The public was welcome at the meeting and were also allowed to ask questions.

short and sweet baseball game to coach in 5 min

This spring when they said the water would be at 5400 it was a posting for another power plant(so they say).

Brookfield will make an attempt to better communicate with anglers

1. educational material, most frequent ask questions along with inflow outflow how the tubes and gates operate ect.

2. Get more info on waterline explaining why they are running certain flow regimens.

3. Use of the chamber, to inform local businesses.

Best I could do for now,

I am pumped about #2 This is exactly what I was asking for !!!!
    Jump to: