Weedless frogs -missed fish

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/13 10:48:20 (permalink)

Weedless frogs -missed fish

I was wondering if any of you guys had tips on increasing hookups with weedless frogs.
    Yesterday, I was out on the lake on a slow day in the usual haunts, so I started plying the thick stuff with a Strike King Weedless frog, one of their "pro" models.  The bass loved it, but I just could not get one to stay on. I lost about 7-8 fish there, all explosive strikes.  I waited a second or two after the strikes before setting the hook, but everytime I either yanked it out of it's mouth or it was already spit out.  Kinda bugged me that I finally found what the fish wanted, but I couldn't capitalize on it. 
     My setup was not really made for weedbeds, I had a Bass Pro Shops Johnny Morris reel and 6# Fireline on a med/lt action pole.
     Should I be spraying these frogs? Any other ideas on what is going wrong?  My topwater game is killin me.   
 Thanks - Yank

9 Replies Related Threads

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Weedless frogs -missed fish 2008/06/17 09:59:09 (permalink)
    Nobody out here fishes a weedless frog?  Help a guy out will ya?
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: Weedless frogs -missed fish 2008/06/17 11:11:32 (permalink)
    Im guessing your frog has nice sharp hooks already. I am by no means a frogger and only use them when all else fails for me and still have not landed many fish using them but when I have hooked into them I was always able to get a good hookset. My problem has been getting them interested in the frog period so its not one of my confidence lures. U will want a line with very little stretch to help drive that hook. try something in the 10-12 lb range. I am really sold on Mccoy mean green line but I dont know how it really compares in the no stretch category. I dont use braid so cant offer anything there. my rods r in the 6.6 length.
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Weedless frogs -missed fish 2008/06/17 11:45:10 (permalink)
    One...  be patient.  When you see the strike, reel in the line until you feel the weight of the fish then hit it.  Pump the tip a few times after hookset to make sure you get the hook buried in there.  Also, a med/heavy rod is the ticket.  With a medium/light rod, the drag from the weeds was more than likely hampering yor hookset and they were getting off.

Last spring in the bay, a friend any myself were both fishing plastics along the weed lines.  He lost considerably more fish than I did and the only difference was I had a 7ft hvy action rod and I was able to lift them out of the mess.  He had a 6 ft, md/lt and he was not able to do so.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Weedless frogs -missed fish 2008/06/17 12:07:21 (permalink)
    A few things that help me...(I love the frog during the summer)

Heavy Rods are a must.
    Go with 20-30 lb braid
    Wait UNTIL you actually feel the fish, not just see the fish strike. If you think you gave it long enough wait another couple of seconds...Trust me, the fish WILL NOT spit it out. On a really good day I was trying somethings out while catching these 2 lbders...I was waiting for the fish to just spit it out, and some fish refused to even after a solid minute.

Hope this helps!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Weedless frogs -missed fish 2008/06/17 12:08:31 (permalink)
    And also!

This is the only bait that I'll try to take the fishes head off while setting the hook.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Weedless frogs -missed fish 2008/06/17 19:37:21 (permalink)
    Yep, what mike said.........

Heavy rod, heavy braided line, sharpen your hooks, and LAUNCH 'em when you FEEL the bite, not when the explosion occurrs.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Weedless frogs -missed fish 2008/06/18 06:49:50 (permalink)
    And just to add you can put on stinger hooks..May help a little..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

maxlikes2fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Weedless frogs -missed fish 2008/06/19 13:13:29 (permalink)
    Same here with the heavier set-up. medium/heavy rod and braid is best. I even caught a nice sized musky on one at Lake Lebouf a few years back.

220, 221. Whatever it takes....
    The Sack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Weedless frogs -missed fish 2008/06/23 08:38:16 (permalink)
    A heavier rod should solve most of your problems. I prefer a medium heavy action. You need a rod with some back bone to get those hooks into the fish. Heavy line is also a must.
    post edited by The Sack - 2008/06/23 08:39:11
    Jump to: