Smallies in the Bay

Author
hossmagnet
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/12 20:47:32 (permalink)

Smallies in the Bay

I am heading up to the bay on Saturday.  Is anyone still catching smallies?

2 Replies Related Threads

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Smallies in the Bay 2008/06/13 09:05:15 (permalink)
    I'm sure they still are, they're always there until early July at least. 

Sure to be a busy weekend on the bay,  PI bass is having a tournament on Sunday.
    Slay
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Smallies in the Bay 2008/06/13 10:31:06 (permalink)
    I was fishin the bay yesterday.  Man was it windy!
    I couldnt catch a panfish to save my soul.  But I boated another dozen smallies.  2 were 18", 1 was 19", and lost one that wrapped around the anchor rope that was at least 20" or better.

I just drifted till I saw one and cast a small fathead on a bobber past them.  Reeled it in near them and caught every one immediately.  Not my normal method of fishing but it worked.

I had a good time and caught some good fish, but I think I am done fishing for them this year.  They seem tired and have half the fight they should have.  I think the warm water or maybe being spawned out has taken a toll on thier energy.  The smaller 12"-16" smallies have more fight in them.

Kinda like steelhead fishing in January.  Only the opposite extreme.  The water is so cold, the fish are sluggish, so I don't fish for them either at that time of year.  I dont keep bass or steelhead.  I'm a catch and release guy, so it's all about playing the fish for me.  If they lose thier spunk, then I target fish I like to eat----Walleyes and panfish.

You will definately catch smallies in the bay though.  Go and have fun!
    Jump to: