Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sunset_Slayer
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/10 13:53:04 (permalink)

Kayak on the big pond?

Was wondering if anyone has ever attempted or seen a person sucessfully fish on lake erie for walleyes and smallmouth from a kayak?  And how far do u need to get out to hit 25 -40 ft of water?  Is this a bad idea or a possibility for a calm day?  Any info on what launches would be good to attempt this and make it worth the hassle would be appreciated?

32 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/10 15:38:19 (permalink)
    The area to the east of the bay channel ( cribs, etc. ) is often fairly protected, and you can find Smallies, even some Eyes there. Watch the forecast, keep a keen eye on the sky, be atuned to any change in wind speed, and direction, and plan to boogie at the first signs of possiblle trouble ( don't be a tough, [dead] guy ). 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Slay
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/10 17:33:24 (permalink)
    I would fish the bay in a Kayak, but no way in heck I would ever take one out in 40 feet of eater on the main lake.  Call me a sissy, but you simply can't paddle back fast enough if the wind picks up as it is prone to do.
    fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/10 18:38:32 (permalink)
    I've kayaked on the lake, but never went too far offshore. Best (flattest) times are usually very early in the morning, and towards sundown. I wouldn't want to be out in the dark.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/10 18:57:05 (permalink)
    The are guys all over the NJ coast on yaks. They have added, orange flags on fiberglass poles for visibility for other boaters. Add a hand held vhf radio, gps, compass, flashlight, flares,whistle,mirror,pfd, weather radio and the biggest thing, a float plan. Have someone know where you're going to be and times back to the launch. If your not back by that point, help can be put in place. Post a float plan at the marina office and at the closest pole by the launch w/ you're name and time back in w/ a phone # to contact. At the end of your day collect these float plans and let the marina office know your safe. If you know gps position of the area your be fishing post those and give a copy to your contact.

The biggest thing is play it safe, use your head.
    ORIGINAL: Sunset_Slayer

Was wondering if anyone has ever attempted or seen a person sucessfully fish on lake erie for walleyes and smallmouth from a kayak?  And how far do u need to get out to hit 25 -40 ft of water?  Is this a bad idea or a possibility for a calm day?  Any info on what launches would be good to attempt this and make it worth the hassle would be appreciated?

Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/10 22:04:34 (permalink)
    Saw a guy in a kayak this past Saturday. He was in about 25 FOW. I don't see anything wrong with going out in a kayak. Just have your life vest on. There are people that off shore fish (in the ocean) for big game fish from a kayak. A larger boat hauls them out, drops them off and waits for them while they hook into a large tuna or bill fish. I think one guy even caught a Mako shark that way. Pretty crazy if you asked me. But they do it. And if they can do that, I don't see kayaking out on Erie as being that big a deal. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure there are even excursions that go out kayaking with Orcas.
    jim10
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/10 23:56:43 (permalink)
    I was out in front of Lawerence park on saturday about 22-28 feet deep. it wasn't too bad, no big waves. you just have to keep a look out for boats that are coming your way and watch the sky. i got back in right before the wind started really kickin that day. But even if the winds do kick up you can get back in pretty fast if you just go with the waves, almost like surfing them back in. I finally got a depth finder as a wedding present a week ago so I know how far out I need to go and just don't go any farther than I need to. I will be out again tomorrow morning in the same spot, in my wife's yellow and orange kayak, but usually I just paddle my brown one. I actually usually don't have my life vest on while fishing, visibility of skin is much better than a grey vest from a distance I've found. But I always put it on when im heading out or back in. I always carry my cell phone and a GPS just in case, along with a whistle as well. Later this week or next week I also plan to try walnut to see if it's any good there. The reports seem to say that the walleye are fairly close to shore. Good luck and let me know how it goes if you try or if you need a buddy if you're going alone, the first time or two can be a bit unnerving when the waves start to kick up on your way back to shore. Jim
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/11 06:48:39 (permalink)
    I would put your cell in a zip lock bag!

FLATFISH4F
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/11 07:02:36 (permalink)
    NIGHT TIME WALLEYE FISHING ........

I went to trout run the other night got their about midnight and slept till 3 am. I fished from 3 till daybreak I didn't catch anything but it was a nice calm night with south winds. I seen bigger boats further out and I was in between them and the shore fisherman. From the people I talked to I don't think anyone from shore caught anything either.  I had on my life vest, whistle, and a white light that you could see 360%. I used 2 rods one out far and one in close I paddled backwards like I was trolling. I paddled towards walnut took my time and enjoyed the nice night. That was my first time doing this just use common scene be careful out there.

FLATFISH ERIE FITCHEN SCOWT .......
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/11 07:13:29 (permalink)
    while I would have no problems taking a good kayak out on the lake, I question the need.  The point of a kayak is to go somewhere that you can't from shore or by another boat.  For fishing the 'middle ground' between where shore fishermen can reach and where boats don't go close enough a kayak is great.  What flatfish is talking about for walleye and for fall steelhead doing the same it is perfect.  For going half a mile offshore (while doable) there is no reason not to take the big boat, and a lot of reasons why you should take the big boat.

Of course if you only have a kayak then I understand the proposition entirely.

thanks
    rick
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/11 09:14:06 (permalink)
    I recently purchased a small 10' kayak and am learning how to paddle and handle it.  The mere thought of taking it out on Lake Erie at this point is too much for me.  Perhaps one day if when I get better at handling the boat and more importantly get a bigger kayak, I might consider fishing Lake Erie, but at this point I will be sticking to the small streams, ponds and lakes.

I guess my comment here is, if you are going to take a kayak out on Lake Erie, please know what you are doing and choose an appropriate boat.  I would hate to hear a report of someone heading out onto the lake and drowning because they did not have a clue as to what they were doing.  Being safe is extremely important.

For all those guys who are experienced and have the right boat, good luck kayaking and fishing and maybe on day I will join you...

pax vobiscum +
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/11 10:19:10 (permalink)
    They fish off of them in the Gulf of Mexico all the time.  I have been over a 1/2 mile offshore in my buddy's yak fishing for trout, redfish and tripletail with no problems.  Many of those guys will go several miles offshore down there to fish the nearshore oil rigs for snapper and whatever else is biting.  Countless sharks (some over 7'), kingfish and redfish have been caught by my buddy's out of a yak in the GOM.  I'd wear your PFD 100% of the time unless it is dead calm and use your head.  Also, a quality, sit on top yak is much easier to master, outfit, and get back in if you flip in my opinion.  Check out this site; texaskayakfisherman.com and see how those guys outfit their yaks.  My one buddy actually has informal Beyond the Breakers get togethers at High Island, Texas where he and several other experienced guys teach newbies to get out there fishing safely.  I think slow trolling (rowing) with a spinner rig and bottom bouncer would be an awesome way to target the eyes that are in close and west of walnut right now.  You aren't too far offshore to get to the 18'-30' you need to be in either.  As always, buddy boating increases the safety factor for you immensely. 
    Slay
    Novice Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/11 20:08:32 (permalink)
    OK, I was partially wrong.  IF you get the right sized Kayak built for taking waves and are experienced, then it is certainly doable.  I just think that the waves on Erie are so close together that you may be rocking a whole lot and the potential for capsizing is huge.  I have a 10" dirigo angler made for lake fishing.  But i would not trust it in 1-2 foot waves.  But hey, I wouldnt sky dive either, doesnt mean ya can't.

Get an ocean going 17 footer or better, that may be the ticket.  I would stay away from the sit on top ones though.

Good luck in your efforts.
    jim10
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/11 23:23:47 (permalink)
    I actually prefer my 9 foot wilderness systems kayak to the bigger boats. I can go up and over alot of the waves that a bigger boat would go right through. You just have to know how to handle your boat and use what is best for you. I really think that my old whitewater kayaks would be even better, but they'd be hard to fish with. they sure can handle the waves with no problem though. Surf kayaking in Florida a couple years I also learned that while it is easier to fall out of a sit on top it is also much easier to get back in one which would come in real handy. Oh, and I fish with my kayak because it is much more fun to hook into a big fish on one and also because I don't have a boat. I caught a 19 inch smallie this morning in the channel going into marina lake that spun me around in circles. Jim
    FLATFISH4F
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/11 23:25:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

while I would have no problems taking a good kayak out on the lake, I question the need.  The point of a kayak is to go somewhere that you can't from shore or by another boat.  For fishing the 'middle ground' between where shore fishermen can reach and where boats don't go close enough a kayak is great.  What flatfish is talking about for walleye and for fall steelhead doing the same it is perfect.  For going half a mile offshore (while doable) there is no reason not to take the big boat, and a lot of reasons why you should take the big boat.

Of course if you only have a kayak then I understand the proposition entirely.

thanks
    rick
    I have a 23' boat for erie, but I just wanted to try walleye fishing at trout run. With a kayak you can take your time relax and maybe one night I will get a big hog walleye. I live on the Allegheny River and kayak almost every day, I have 6 kayaks and they are always being used by my wife or my 4 boys. Just remember one thing ALWAYS respect the water because it only takes a couple of seconds to drown.

FLATFISH
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/12 00:48:22 (permalink)
    I have one, so does beerman and many on this board. Man if you have acsess to a boat , take it. If you are intent on going out there make sure you tell someone where you are at. Then be sure to wear your vest. It may save your life. There are some huge boats that make for some big waves. Kayaking is at its best on streams and rapids. Go for it and leave big water alone. So many nice places in Pa. to go for. Caught pike and bass where no one can get to! Don,t need the big water man!

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/12 08:59:36 (permalink)
    Sounds like you're trying to audition for the Perfect Storm II or the Deadliest Catch Show. Saw a guy fishing steelies in a float tube once, didn't work out to good for him, waves and big fish pulling him around. A kayak on the big lake doesn't sound to safe to me. Just my thoughts, I've never been in one.
    post edited by JEB - 2008/06/12 09:00:07
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/12 09:02:35 (permalink)
    For those looking for a new, fishable, rough water kayak, take a look at a Cobra Fish N Dive.  Sit on top kayaks are the preferred kayaks in the ocean.  Lots of good boats in the the 12'-15' length that are wide.  The wider the better and the lower you sit in it, the better.  The Cobra FND is used as a  diving platform so it is pretty stable.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/12 13:17:18 (permalink)
    LOL @ the people thinking the guy is crazy for kayaking on lake erie,  people kayak in the ocean and catch fish over 100lb.  I wouldnt go on big water where there is no HP restriction unless i was in a Hobie or another high quality sit on top Kayak.  always wear your life jacket, cell phone in dry bag, flare gun or whistle too
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/12 13:41:31 (permalink)
    I don't think many are saying he's crazy. Just that it's not as the Aussie's say, "No worries mate.". He CAN do it safely, but will not ALAWYS be safe. Most are suggesting, how he can be MORE safe, MORE often.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Slay
    Novice Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/13 10:14:58 (permalink)
    Exactly.  I have a 14 ft boat and I don't take it out on the main lake either.  I have seen the wind come up fast out there, and it sits pretty low in the water as it is.  A person can do almost anything with the right equipment under the right conditions.  You just have to be prepared for the consequences of your decision.

In the end, you only go around this big blue marble once.  How you want to spend your time on it is your call.
    Good luck.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/16 10:46:54 (permalink)
    Slay,
    To be honest, if there were big waves out there that I got caught in, I would much rather be in the kayak than the 14' boat.  I have been in 5-7' waves, (4 sets of breakers at the beach) in a kayak and felt much more comfortable in it than in my 14' boat and 2-3' whitecaps on Pymy.  You won't swamp a sit on top kayak and if you flip, you can always plop yourself back in it and paddle on.  You might lose some gear, but as long as you are using your paddle tether (and lifevest), you are good to go.  If I swamp my 14' boat, you are dead in the water waiting for rescue (and hopefully it has positive floatation and you can maintain your grip on the flipped over hull). 

Slay
    Novice Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/16 19:21:11 (permalink)
    True that, and the right Kayak will make that possible.  I believe we were talking about fishing from one though in 40 feet of water.  Good luck with that with a rod in one hand and the paddle in the other with 4 footers rolling in every 10 seconds.....LOL
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/16 20:44:46 (permalink)
    Here is my favorite site for kayak fishing tips: (I hope it isn't against board policy to post this link, if so, please remove it)

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/17 00:04:10 (permalink)

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Slay
    Novice Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/17 08:30:43 (permalink)
    Now that's a honey right there!  I have a Dirigo Angler, but it certainly cannot match your fine specimen.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/17 09:07:48 (permalink)
    That is definitely the ticket....  My Old Town Loon 100 can not compare.  Nice!!!

pax vobiscum +
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/17 10:51:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Slay

True that, and the right Kayak will make that possible.  I believe we were talking about fishing from one though in 40 feet of water.  Good luck with that with a rod in one hand and the paddle in the other with 4 footers rolling in every 10 seconds.....LOL

Guys on the Texas and Florida gulf coasts do it all the time and they are catching 40" plus redfish and 5-7' sharks!  A lot of those guys have an anchoring system set-up with a buoy that they attach to when they are out there.  They throw out their anchor with buoy attached, and then clip onto the buoy with a decent length rope with quick disconnect clevis' on it.  If the fish is big enough, they disconnect from the buoy and go skiing. 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/19 07:59:58 (permalink)
    I saw on the news this morning that some guy had to be rescued from Lake Erie yesterday.  About a mile off of Walnut creek he flipped his kayak and could not get back into it.  I don' think he was fishing.  They said in the report he was trying to go to Canada....  Stupid is as stupid does, Momma always says...

pax vobiscum +
    Slay
    Novice Angler
    RE: Kayak on the big pond? 2008/06/19 08:11:33 (permalink)
    Maybe he shoulda waited for strong south wind.   LOL 
    Like I said, anything is possible if you are willing to accept the consequences.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: