I'd like to start...

Author
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/04 08:21:10 (permalink)

I'd like to start...

I have been on the fly since I can remember and I have one dabbled in tying. Now, I'd like to really work my way into it (plus it is a part of fishing that doesn't require me to been gone for days... better half loves that idea)

SO...

I'm shopping around for a set up. My bread and butter has always been copper johns, buggers, caddis, cahills, and ss for steelhead.

Is it worth my time to try and assemble a setup of individual elements from a shop? or are there ideas of "kits" (i have found "kits" on ebay that people are selling)

what should I look for in a vice? can anyone provide some models/features to look for?

I am pretty resourceful so a brand and model name can help out a lot

MAIN POINT.... I am in the process of saving for a wedding so....$ is a factor

thanks in advance

Kevin
post edited by DryflyTU - 2008/06/05 15:30:12

9 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: I'd like to start... 2008/06/04 09:25:46 (permalink)
    Kev,

I checked out your picks for fly tying kits...If I were in your situation, and wanted to get into more into tying with saving money then I would go with the Key West outfitter kit.  From what I can gather It seems to have the best in tools given your three selections.  Material is somthing that you pick up little by little until before long you have enough to tie flies for years.  Just make it a habit every time you go to the fly shop to spend 2-10$ on some sort of material, eventually ull find you have everything you need.  From my experience fly tying kits with alot of material are like buffets, Quantity, not Quality...not saying this is the case everytime, but just from my personal experience.

I dont know how well outfitted with tools that you are, but as far as piecing everything together it would be wise to purchase at minimum a good vice, IMO.  I have the Renzetti Apprentise, I like it alot but It's not a rotary.

If you wanted to get into a rotary vise that you will have for years and def not break the bank, I would suggest a griffin.  They have a huge line of moderatley prices vices to suit your needs.  Heres a link to what they offer. 
    Hope this helps you out, im sure other board members will provide you with input as well.
    post edited by DryflyTU - 2008/06/05 15:30:56
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: I'd like to start... 2008/06/04 12:51:32 (permalink)
    Like everyone else, buy the materials seperately. That way you can determine what colors, sizes, quality, etc you need. As far as vices go, I've got the Griffin Montana Mongoose vise and can't complain about it. It came with some extra tools and a case on sale for $100 at Cabelas a year or two ago.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: I'd like to start... 2008/06/04 15:05:43 (permalink)
    thanks for the info!!!

sounds like i want to buy a "tool and vise kit" and then just assemble the materials as suggested and a set-up won't put me in too much hot water

I guess you get what you pay for... but that kit with a collection of tools (all which i need) for $60 is an option
    but as with everything fly... my TFO cheap rod can land fish just like my T3...

does any know anything about Key West?
    they have a few vise and tool kits..

thanks for the help!

Kevin
    post edited by DryflyTU - 2008/06/05 15:31:44
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: I'd like to start... 2008/06/04 17:29:38 (permalink)
    another option i found

post edited by DryflyTU - 2008/06/05 15:32:01
    outdoorman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: I'd like to start... 2008/06/04 20:45:52 (permalink)
    i got a Danvise about 3 years ago with a tying bench and tools for a 150 bucks at Cabela's love the vise and bench and i am still using 75% of the tools. Individual materials is the only way to go.  as been said on here you get what you want to tie what you want.  tip to save some money on  your copper johns go to a dollar store  and get and extension cord and strip the out side off and you got copper wire for a long long time.  
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: I'd like to start... 2008/06/05 12:04:58 (permalink)
    outdoorman...
    this one

post edited by DryflyTU - 2008/06/05 15:32:15
    DryflyTU
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: I'd like to start... 2008/06/05 15:35:23 (permalink)
    Guys,

This is Eric Lyle, the GM at FishUSA.com, and I wanted to respond to this thread about my editing of the thread and about our acceptable use policies.

If you would look at our policy at the following link, you would see why this thread was edited:

http://forums.fishusa.com/faq.asp#99_1

Pasted below is the text from the applicable section of the policy:

·  Use of the board to advertise or promote the commercial sale of goods or services is prohibited.
    ·  Use of the board to promote other commercial web sites or tackle shops, or web sites or tackle shops which compete with the FishUSA.com, FishErie.com or FishSalmonRiver.com web sites is prohibited.

Links to EBay auctions for tackle violate this policy, plain and simple. Please understand FishUSA provides these forums to the members, free of charge. There is a substantial cost incurred by FishUSA to purchase software and maintaining the forums. All we ask it that members follow a few simple rules. Posting links for tackle sold by other on-line retailers or web sites (EBay included) violate this policy.

If someone would like to order tools, vices or materials from FishUSA, please call our customer service staff at 800.922.1219, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST weekdays. It is likely we can get items we don't stock from a supplier, and provide it at a fair retail cost.

Thanks for your understanding.

DryflyTU
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: I'd like to start... 2008/06/16 02:10:21 (permalink)
    shop around do some research as for the ebay thing i have ordered there and got killed in shipping
    i have to give fish usa the top pbilling in speed of shipment.But i have found your best way is to shop every
    where and also check out the craft stores.paul

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Jump to: