LockedIndian Lake, Westmoreland County

Author
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/01 13:48:29 (permalink)

Indian Lake, Westmoreland County

Can anyone give me some scoop on Indian Lake? I've got 2 young boys and streams/rivers (moving water) just ain't a good place to go yet. I'd really like to get them some action, whether it be bass and cats later or trout now.
Any suggestions on this lake or other close lakes?

I don't know what species Indian holds or what part of the lake to fish.

Thanks.

13 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/01 15:38:09 (permalink)
    smfine -

i happened to fish there last saturday, for the first time in about 10 years.  it had been stocked with trout the day before, but i saw very few guys catching trout.  i caught one small crappie in 2 hours.  the guys who were catching trout were fishing near the dam right by the parking lot, which is probably where most of 'em got dumped. 

don't know if anything is still going on there, but back in the day there was a lake at the penn township municipal park by penn trafford high school.  it used to get stocked with trout for kids (you were allowed to keep 3 a day), and it used to be full of big channel cats and carp that were catch & release only.  when i was in high school, i caught two flatheads there that were over 40 inches.  it's been about 5 years since i've fished there, so you might want to call the municipal building there and find out what's going on, but it was always a very fun place.  freshly cut up bluebills were always the best bait there, followed by crayfish, minnows and chicken livers for the big cats. 

oak hollow park in north huntingdon is loaded with bluegills that were always very easy to catch.  if your guys are little, they might enjoy that.  had my kids there once last year, and each of them caught at least 20 bluegills a piece.  used to be some nice bass in there too, and lots of brown bullhead catfish.

good luck,
    dave
    Pro Angler
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/01 17:32:08 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot Dave!
    CatfishSlayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/01 18:52:52 (permalink)
    The penn twp municipal lake is definatley usually a good time.  As far as I've ever know though, everything is catch & release.  Lots of huge carp and catfish.  be sure to take a net if you want to land them.
    As far as Indian lake, I fished there last year and it was horrible.  I wont be going back.  Have you thought about Twin lakes park?  I personally dont care for it because I consider it a "old mans or little kids lake"  but there are many who love it.  I just never felt the connection myself.  Oak Hollow is good for bluegills.  If you need directions to any of these places, just let me know.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/01 23:20:40 (permalink)
    I think they stock the lower twin lake with trout, and there are some monster bass in there.  I think they have little pavilions that kids can fish off of, at lest on the upper lake.  I never tried Indian lake bacuse every time I was there, it looked like a mud hole.
    matt_esox
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/01 23:37:36 (permalink)
    I fished Indian lake last Friday evening with a few buddies (stocked that day). I only saw maybe 3-4 other people catch fish. We caught 10-12 each. I got two trout, a bass, and a bunch of small crappie.. those things were hitting as it hit the water. Water color was murky at best. I've only fished that place twice before. One time caught one okay rainbow and the other time skunked (both about two years ago). The place might be worth your while, at least worth a shot. We used flatheads and waxworms.. crawlers weren't working.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/01 23:49:23 (permalink)
    I think that either one of the twin lakes would be your best bet. right now just about everything is hitting.I watched a 6yr. old girl catch a 18" palamino with her scooby doo rod. hard to tell who was happier, her or her dad. also there is a small play area at each lake if the boys get tired of fishing. plus more room.    sam
    Pro Angler
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/02 09:40:43 (permalink)
    Catfishslayer -

Have you fished the municipal park lately, like within the last year or so?  I've been wanting to take some youngsters there there that love fishing and would love that place if it's still good.  I live in Saxonburg now, but grew up in North Huntingdon and used to fish that place all the time when I was in high school.  You can PM me if you want.

dave
    CatfishSlayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/02 16:47:22 (permalink)
    rsquared-

I havent fished it yet this year, and probably wont until mid june or so.
    I did fish it quite a few times last year and caught some huge carp, catfish and lots of bluegill.  I usually always fish it with Homemade doughball, marshmellows, hot dog, or chicken livers.  I cant recall ever using "real" bait there.
    If I can help anymore, let me know.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/02 17:29:10 (permalink)
    thanks catslayer.  that helps a ton.  sounds like things haven't changed too much there over the years.  i've used all that stuff there in the past, but seems i always did best on cut bluegills or live crayfish for the cats.  caught a few flatheads in there MANY years ago that were real fun.  secret for those bad boys was to fish right at dusk with big bait (half bluegill or 4 or 5 inch creek chub).  wonder if any of those big boys are left?  guess i'll have to find out in a month or two. 

dave
    Pro Angler
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/02 21:12:28 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot fellas. I think we might try for trout at either Indian or Twin Lakes. Then when that dies down, try for some cats.... that can be a real good time. You can't screw up cat fishing too bad.
    I just need to find out where Twin Lakes is.

Also, flatheads prefer live bait and night is best. The Allegheny is the place unless you want to pay ... Paradise has a few monsters in their lakes.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/02 21:25:58 (permalink)
    smfine -

here ya go: 
    http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/parks/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=619937

twin lakes is a great place to fish.  used to go there almost every day in college.  if your boys are old enough for a boat ride, i've always done real well there trolling in a paddle boat with rooster tails or hus lures in the lower lake.  you can rent boats there for a pretty reasonable price, but can't bring your own.  the boathouse also sells bait and tackle.  there are also plenty of bass and panfish in both lakes to keep youngsters interested.

have fun,
    dave
    STH FEVOR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/02 23:15:37 (permalink)
    Indian Lake is a good lake to fish, if your going for trout stay on the lower end, if you fish the bottom use rainbow power bait, if you fish the top fish 3-4 ft.with black mini foo jig & maggots. If your after cats go to the back end and fish the top 3 ft. If your after panfish any place is good.
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Indian Lake, Westmoreland County 2007/05/03 00:19:41 (permalink)
    never could get into the indian lake thing. even way back when before they siezed it from that drug dealer who originally owned the land i would go by there and think what a mudhole it was. im sure it has its fan as we can see but it just feels so manufactured or something.....just cant get into it. especially when the yough is right down the street....kinda
    Jump to: