Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jeeters
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/22 00:08:18 (permalink)

how many steelies really make it?

As I was letting go of a beat up skinny male on Monday I could'nt help wonder if that fish would make it back in the fall or not.In my 20 yrs. of chasing crome i've never heard of any studies done by the fish com. as to what percentage of steelies live or die after spawning and droping back out to the lake. Alot of people say they all go out and die in the lake but I can't believe some don't make it. Anyone know of any real data?

44 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/22 01:20:37 (permalink)
    That would make a cool tagging study.  Need to get the local club behind it.  Lots of data to be collected.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/22 07:30:30 (permalink)
    to much data!!!!

It's a put and take fishery..(to the pa fish com)...

imo.just one more thing to ponder....
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/22 12:30:10 (permalink)
    I'VE HEARD THAT 90% LIVE TO SPAWN TWICE, MANY 3 TIMES, SOME 4 TIMES                            GLEN
    *steelking*
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/22 14:37:01 (permalink)
    You got to think that your 10lb plus fish are atleast two time spawners.  This gives them more time to grow and bulk up over the summer in the lake.
    -Mike
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/22 15:44:47 (permalink)
    Most 10lb fish are not 2-time spawners- rather, they are fish that took an extra year in the lake before returnng to spawn. Very few fish return second time, due to the rigors of spawning, negotiating the shallow streambeds, anchor ice in the winter, etc... not to mention predation from anglers. You can tell a repeat spawner in the beginning of the season- they will look chrome, but in a different way; oftentimes thay are silver but with scarring, whitish bellies, rough anal and ventral fins- in essence, they will look like they've been through the gauntlet already, despite being chrome and/or early in the season.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/22 16:15:35 (permalink)
    "Very few fish return second time, due to the rigors of spawning, negotiating the shallow streambeds, anchor ice in the winter, etc... not to mention predation from anglers."

they must tell themselves noooooope im not that stupid, have fun idiots.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/22 20:38:17 (permalink)
    For sure I would think almost all jacks if not harvested would make it back next year and any older fish that aren't harvested , beat up too bad, or too oLd duud, would make additional fall spawning runs. I don't think that they all just go back in the lake and die...unless as stated before the are old or just to banged up.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    gatekeeper
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/22 21:32:40 (permalink)
    Has there ever been any talk of fin clipping to tell if/how many stream bred steelies make it back to spawn.  A little OT but dont they do that in places out west and have a no kill policy on fish w/out fin clip to aid with natural reproduction?
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/22 22:45:21 (permalink)
    Fin Clipping is not real effective.  Floy tags would probably come out, would have to use cheek chips, they work well but the scanners are expensive, at least they were a few years back.

carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/28 23:31:45 (permalink)
    MANY more steelies make it than people claim. go to a river with a good run of salmon and you will find them dead all over the streams. you don't see this on the erie tribs even with the huge runs. and you don't see them floating all over the place in the lake come late spring. there aren't any accurate studies that i know of which proves that steelies die after spawning. sure, a percentage die due to the rigors of spawning, but a lot make it back to the lake full of energy.

what is upsetting is the fact that it is often used as an excuse to keep or kill every fish caught.......

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 00:50:20 (permalink)
    Another question would be how many of the stocked smolts make it. I was on the main lake Sunday and there are dead smolts floating everywhere.....

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 07:37:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ready2fish

Another question would be how many of the stocked smolts make it. I was on the main lake Sunday and there are dead smolts floating everywhere.....

smolts or smelt?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 08:42:57 (permalink)
    I'd guess it's safe to say the earlier a fish comes in and the later it stays, the less chance it has for survival.   This is likely why you see more 4-5 year old fish in Ohio.  They are spring runners.  If a PA fish comes in  ..  in March and stays low, real good chance it'll expend little energy, and return the next year.  Look at the fish that won the tourney there a few years ago, look WHERE and WHEN it was caught.   Just a thought..

How many fish make it?

Who knows. 

I guess you could keep a total count of fish caught then spilt it by jacks, 3 year olds, and older.  That'd give you a percent of which return premature, mature, and older.  It'd have to be done by someone who fishes ALL year, and doesn't miss a run.

I'd guess the percent of 3 year old fish is really high, and the older ones is really low.  I don't catch very many 8-10 pound fish in Erie.  When I fished the tribs 30-40 hours a week all season long, I didn't catch very many.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 10:54:08 (permalink)
    Carp.

Then why don't we see these "survivors" in the stream the following year(s)? They just aren't there in any numbers. You WON'T see them floating in the lake, dead Trout SINK. I have oten seen the broken ice at the mouths, strewn with hundreds of mangled up Steelhead. West coast streams, RIVERS see a good bit of survival, and repeat runs ( I'd expect Ohio would as well ), due to the make  up of their waters. Penna's fish, traverse large sections of 4-6 inch water over shale, and gravel, both on their run, and their return. They also face long periods of higher than optimum temps, and low oxygen ( not exacly condusive to healing ) during both periods as well.

There are large numbers of fish left in the streams in the spring. Yes, many get roped, but I remember when nobody even fished for them past December, and there were no more "repeat runners" the following year(s) then, either. Tells me, that very few make it.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 12:03:24 (permalink)
    What a waste of money then spoonie...

Pennsylvania Trout Commission at its finest...They cant even do that right!

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    fishingMOZ
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 12:03:45 (permalink)
    I'm not sure how many actually make it back in the smaller streams, but I'm guessing that in the larger streams many do make it back. And when I'm talking larger streams I mean streams like the Catt in NY. I've fished that stream in May and have caught quite of few drop backs. Their ugly sometimes but they are returning to the lake, as for Elk Creek and Walnut I'm thinking more end up not making back to the lake. I'm sure that there are some that do return to the lake and they probably would be your fish that are over 10 lbs in the fall. And I'm sure you all know how many of those we catch in PA; I can count on two hands how many 11 lb and over fish I've caught in the PA tribs.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 12:11:35 (permalink)
    Bagger,

How is it a waste of money, and what are they doing "wrong"?

The Steelhead program GENERATES revenues, and they stock them in the only streams AVAILABLE to them.

Thousands of anglers, get months of quality fishing, and enjoyment every season. I don't know how you can call that a "waste of money".

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 12:20:10 (permalink)
    thank you spoon...

the point is you are not going to catch any more than you do now!!!

I will say it one more time....PUT AND TAKE.....

I have been saying all the time the guys that dont C&R will not hurt your numbers...

ROPE & SMOKE.....
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 12:46:39 (permalink)
    Waste of money? It might be the best money they spend, 1.2 million fish with 56 miles of shoreline? That is incredible, we should be thankful we have such a program. It generates major money into the Erie economy. People travel for hours away just to fish here. Not everyone but some local people just dont realize what they have access to,and I am a local erie resident. Just because they arent a walleye people act as tho there a trash fish. Some people actually enjoy eating them. Steelhead is by far and away our best sportfish, go look for them in the middle of summer and see how you well you do. Walleye are much easier to target. Many benefits the steelhead do for erie as a community
    post edited by Deerslayir - 2008/05/29 12:47:25
    fishingMOZ
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 14:30:09 (permalink)
    This is one thing that the PA Fish Commission does do right, put in fingerling's and let them grow up. I only wish they would do that for all the trout streams and other fisheries in PA instead of putting in 9 and 10 inch trout that get wiped out in a few weeks.
    fryem
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 22:32:55 (permalink)
    My two cents, I think this is the best thing the Pa fish comission does. "Steel Head Alley" was created by PA Fish commission and from living in the northwest it is better than the runs in the NW USA It is a fishery enjoyed by many with plenty of opportunity to go around for months. I truly enjoy it and can't think of a complaint. Yes it crowded in Oct. but everything that is outstanding in the world of fishing is crowded no matter where you are.
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 22:39:04 (permalink)
    fishingMoz...the 9 & 10 inch do make it.. i know guys catching fish in july & august....you have to find them???

in the tribs you my catch some come backs but there is lots of new fish to catch each year!!!!
    fryem
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/29 22:44:09 (permalink)
    Oh by the way they are harder to catch in pa...the best bait scent I used out west was WD40...Have not tried in Erie since the fish are not a true purebred searun fish from all the reading that I did you are more or less fishing for large rainbow trout. Which makes sense if you read the excellent books from John Nagy.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/30 00:22:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

ORIGINAL: ready2fish

smolts or smelt?

Actually, I saw both smelt and smolts floating.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/30 01:34:45 (permalink)
    I saw a few smolts as well, mostly smelt, but a few smolts.  Oh yea and one big **** steelhead cruisin the channel at walnut, with his mouth wide open scrapin crap off the surface as I was going out. He was well over 25-26 inches.

ErieBayRat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/30 08:05:26 (permalink)
    The guys that fish the west coast for real steelies do ID them as class A for first runs and class B for second timers I believe. I forget how they Identify them. Maybe someone can clarify that this.

The data I was always interested in was the numbers of wild fish from spawners that actually made into the tiny spring creeks that dump into the main tribs. I know the Fish commision claimed a suprisingly high percentage. I always wondered if this was a make believe prediction or based on actual data from a study.

"A society living in fear very often - actually, inevitably - produces in form that which it fears most."
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/30 08:56:47 (permalink)
    Water temps and stream habitat limit wild numbers. It does not matter how many run or how many eggs hatch. It is the warm temps of summer that limits wild numbers.
    Like spoon said it is an artificial fishery it is what it is. There would be few steelhead in Lake Erie if not for the PA program and the amount of capacity of the PA hatchery system. The other border states don't come close or even have hatcherys dedicated to lake run rainbow trout.

Chris
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/05/30 13:28:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chrisrowboat

Water temps and stream habitat limit wild numbers. It does not matter how many run or how many eggs hatch. It is the warm temps of summer that limits wild numbers.
    Like spoon said it is an artificial fishery it is what it is. There would be few steelhead in Lake Erie if not for the PA program and the amount of capacity of the PA hatchery system. The other border states don't come close or even have hatcherys dedicated to lake run rainbow trout.

Chris

IF PA QUIT STOCKING THERE WOULD STILL BE PLENTY OF FISH IN LAKE ERIE FROM THE FISH STOCKED BY OHIO, ONTARIO, AND NEW YORK  . NOT OBSCENE NUMBERS, BUT PLENTY OF FISH TO FISH FOR.
    post edited by glen - 2008/05/30 13:29:55
    carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: how many steelies really make it? 2008/06/01 19:21:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Carp.

Then why don't we see these "survivors" in the stream the following year(s)? They just aren't there in any numbers. You WON'T see them floating in the lake, dead Trout SINK. I have oten seen the broken ice at the mouths, strewn with hundreds of mangled up Steelhead. West coast streams, RIVERS see a good bit of survival, and repeat runs ( I'd expect Ohio would as well ), due to the make  up of their waters. Penna's fish, traverse large sections of 4-6 inch water over shale, and gravel, both on their run, and their return. They also face long periods of higher than optimum temps, and low oxygen ( not exacly condusive to healing ) during both periods as well.

There are large numbers of fish left in the streams in the spring. Yes, many get roped, but I remember when nobody even fished for them past December, and there were no more "repeat runners" the following year(s) then, either. Tells me, that very few make it.

spoon, how do you KNOW we are not seeing the survivors in the stream the next year or two years later which is more common for repeat spawners? any studies? no doubt some get killed due to ice, but what about the steelies that were able to avoid this?

seems to me that with the HIGH percentage of fish released (as reported by the fish commision at 80% or so) then there should be TONS of fish laying all over the place dead come spring. with the thousands of fish in erie streams, anglers would be seeing them everywhere: floating, at the bottom of pools, stuck in shallow riffles and runs, and washed up by the hundreds along the shore lines.

maybe, just maybe we have the huge runs not ONLY due to the million smolts stocked annually, but also to the high percentage of fish released. remember, smolt mortality is supposedly very high. what IF the hugh runs over the last ten years has also been the result of a much higher than previously believed return rate. (just throwing it out there)

until i see an evidence based study proving that they all die, i will continue to believe that a lot more steelhead return more than once in their lifetime....

post edited by carpitiss - 2008/06/01 19:23:26

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: