Saltwater Discussion

Author
beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/15 13:57:01 (permalink)

Saltwater Discussion

I usually fish saltwater a few times a year.  Next month I'm fishing out of Key West with a buddy for four days.  Two days we have a guide hired and the other two we are renting a boat and doing it on our own.  We will be targeting tarpon, permit and bones on the fly.  We usually fish one fly rod from the bow and the other guy uses a spin outfit with bait or lures in the rear. 

My question is : what type of line would be best for a 4000 or 5000 series spin reel?  I'm going to purchase a Quantum Boca 4 or 5 reel.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Also.....feel free to fire away and ask your own saltwater questions!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg

14 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9698
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/16 15:55:38 (permalink)
    Lucky you, and have no idea what size line to use...  I might be lucky and hit the Jersey shore next month.  A.K.A. Key Benny...

The stripers are running though.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/16 17:41:39 (permalink)
    Beerman, these reels are able to cast braid fine. Run a few yds as base of mono (20lb)and top off w/ a braid. The knot between the two lines can be a albright. The knot size will be small enough and will have no problem casting through the eyes.

I have a couple of the smaller size boca's have had no problem w/ them in salt and w/ the use of braid.
    ORIGINAL: beerman

I usually fish saltwater a few times a year.  Next month I'm fishing out of Key West with a buddy for four days.  Two days we have a guide hired and the other two we are renting a boat and doing it on our own.  We will be targeting tarpon, permit and bones on the fly.  We usually fish one fly rod from the bow and the other guy uses a spin outfit with bait or lures in the rear. 

My question is : what type of line would be best for a 4000 or 5000 series spin reel?  I'm going to purchase a Quantum Boca 4 or 5 reel.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Also.....feel free to fire away and ask your own saltwater questions!
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/17 22:17:27 (permalink)
    Beerman, on those size reels I typically use a mono "backing" to keep from slipping (connected with double uni-knot) then spool braid in the size I like. Usually 20/6 power pro.  I have a large 1500 yd spool of green but when that's done I will change to the new yellow.  I then use a double uni-knot to add about three feet of at least 20 lb of fluro leader and often times forty or sixty lb depending on what toothy critter I am fishing for or how I rig. 

One reason I use 20/6 is that you can spool a whole lot of line with that size onto a 4000 or 5000 reel.
    post edited by kayak99 - 2008/05/17 22:18:24
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/18 13:45:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies guys!  I'm thinking about using a mono backing
    with possibly Sufix braid, Power Pro or maybe Fireline and a fluorocarbon leader. 
    Of the super-braids I listed, which would be best for casting?

The Beerman ~ Greg
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/18 14:51:06 (permalink)
    Suffix and Power Pro seem best.  I have Fireline on one reel and it seems a bit stiff.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/18 22:02:11 (permalink)
    Anybody ever been to Caroline's....or Louie's Backyard, or B + O Fish Shack.... how about Sandy's , all located in Key West?  

I've had the conch fritters and grouper sandwich at the B +O (on Caroline Street).  Very good food at an outdoor shack with rather steep prices.  I would probably go back though.  Any opinions on the others?

The Beerman ~ Greg
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/18 22:39:57 (permalink)
    Turtle Kraals, Schooners Wharf, Kevins Irish Bar and Hog's Breath Saloon were my favorites.  I check the webcams there often.  I'm guessing you stop at the Saltwater Anglers shop too?
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/20 15:41:55 (permalink)
    "I'm guessing you stop at the Saltwater Anglers shop too?"...yea we'll probably stop in to see what the hot tarpon fly patterns are and shop around.  I want to make sure I relax on this fishing trip and not be so gung ho about catching fish.  I plan on checking out a few tourist destinations, such as Hemingway's house and sipping on some cold beer in the shade, lol!

The Beerman ~ Greg
    ohiofish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/21 13:40:00 (permalink)
    When I fish the flats in the keys, I use 20 lbs mono with a flouro leader..  I have yet to land a Tarpon.  Tons of them on the line but always seem to shake the hook, or take me into a dock.  If you are up by Marathon, check out the bar/restraunt called the Wreck.  Great grouper sandwiches...  Real cheap..  If you are interested I can get the mile marker for you..
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/05/21 17:45:43 (permalink)
    Greg,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I don't normally view this thread.

No trip to KW is complete for my wife and I without at least one stop at Caroline's.  She gets the Bamboozle Salad and I get two orders of Reddenbacher Shrimp -- with the appropriate Red Stripe per order.  The food is great and it is a wonderful place to watch the freaks on Duval up close and personal.

As for tourist stuff, we actually took the Conch Train ride last year.  It was educational and even though we have been going to KW for about 10 years, showed us places we had never seen.  It is just a little hokey though, so make sure that you stop somewhere and get a couple of frozen drinks in a nondescript to-go cup before you board.

If you get up to Key Largo, do not miss eating at The Fish House.  It is the absolute best place I have eaten in the Keys.  They make a stuffed Shrimp that is baked with cheese on top.  Also, the best Key Lime Pie anywhere.  The top is 4-5 inches high.  It is so good, I keep threatening to have them ship me one.

Best of Luck on your trip.  We depart on 6-22 for four days in Islamorada (3 of them flyfishing for Tarpon) and 3 days in KW.  The fishing part will be deadly serious, the KW part, not at all.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    navicacinco
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/06/01 19:05:16 (permalink)
    Hi. I inherited a Daiwa Electric reel Super Tanacom SS 60. I have no manual and buttons are in japanese. In Daiwa USA they say this reel is only sold locally in Japan and I cannot find the Daiwa`Japan email. Can anyone help??
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/06/05 15:40:23 (permalink)
    Sorry navicacinco, but I'm not sure how to find the correct email address.... maybe call the 800 number for Diawa.

About a different topic;  my all time favorite saltwater fishing show is "The Spanish Fly" with Jose Wejebe.
    I also like "Saltwater Experience", Mark Sosin's "Saltwater Journal", and George Poveromo's "Saltwater Fishing".
    Anybody else have any favorites?

The Beerman ~ Greg
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/06/13 12:19:03 (permalink)
    Greg,

I caught a show called "Chasing Silver" with Andy Mills.  It is all about Tarpon on the fly.  Very well done.  Of course, it helps that Andy fishes for Tarpon over 200 days per year all around the world.  I guess getting divorced from Chris Everrett has its high points.

I started mentaly preparing myself this week.  It won't be long now.

Duncsdad

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saltwater Discussion 2008/07/04 10:43:19 (permalink)
    Greg,

I didn't see you in KW.  LOL!!!

How did the trip go?

When I have time I'll start a thread and post Tarpon photos.

Duncsdad

Jump to: