2008/05/12 11:28:47 (permalink)

Weekend reports?

Anyone doing any good on muskies??

32 Replies Related Threads

big chuck 56
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/14 17:56:26 (permalink)
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where in the world were you able to land that monster? Nice catch!!We have been hoping for a few nice wallys but this weather is bad. Good luck to all.
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/14 18:33:15 (permalink)
    Looks like it was caught at the igloo... I heard there's a decent bite there.

That's pic is funny!
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/15 06:53:54 (permalink)
    Shouldn't this be moved to the "ice fishing" forum? 

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/15 07:05:48 (permalink)
    I've seen people bring octopus' to hockey games but not ski's.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/15 13:37:28 (permalink)
    it's the old...Went fishing and a hockey game broke-out!
    stevepf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/15 20:19:12 (permalink)
    Cool Pic,I saved it to our computer.I haven'tdown any muskie fishing in awhile.What are your thoughts on the new regs for them?

I'm gonna fish more and work less.
    Have A Crappie Day
    trigger
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/15 20:34:12 (permalink)
    I think the new regulations are great. I would like to see a musky stamp if you wanted to keep them. I also like to see some lakes go to 48" Minimum. Relica mounts look just as nice and last forever. As far as fish I only caught 2 so far this year. A 34" and a 48". Going fishing all weekend. 
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/16 10:23:19 (permalink)
    A couple 48-50" minimum trophy lakes sure wouldn't hurt, especially since we have a few lakes that are like food factories for these fatties...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/17 08:19:24 (permalink)

Quote:  A couple 48-50" minimum trophy lakes sure wouldn't hurt, especially since we have a few lakes that are like food factories for these fatties...

It sure wouldn't hurt, but do you know how long it took to get the current regs. into effect?  We were pushing for it for nearly 15 years!  Better late than never.  I'm not sure putting pressure on the commission for the 48" to 50" "trophy lake" thing is such a good idea for a few reasons.  1 - 99% of the avid muskie anglers out there practice catch and release anyway.  2 - I'd like to se more quality efforts put into forage, stocking and habitat improvements for the species.  So I'd say, IMO, it is a higher priority than increasing the limits at this point rather than maintaining the great sport we now have.  3 - In all fairness to a person who has never caught anything near 40" and would like to have the fish mounted, it may be someone's "fish of a lifetime".  The limit used to be 2 fish at 30" per day...now at 40" 1 per day is a great improvement which I don't think would hurt any lake population.  I seriously do not think the new proposal will do anything to make any lake more of a "trophy lake".  Muskie fishing, IMO, is where it is today primarily because of, none other than, the responsible practices of the muskie anglers by C&R...The new regs also makes it tougher for the average JOE out there fishing for bass, walleye, trout or panfish to land that legal fish.  My thoughts and Tight Lines...
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/05/17 12:59:24

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/17 10:03:12 (permalink)
    Been plugging the past few weeks couldn't raise a fish.  Went walleye fishing last weekend and one came up to the boat following a 14 inch walleye.  He apparently had got ahold of few because some of the ones i caught were missing large amounts of flesh. 

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/17 18:19:32 (permalink)
    Any one remember the short video clip from a couple (few) years back containing the musky fisherman, the hysterical lady on the dock who lost her little dog and the punch line "what color was it?"? Sure would like to see that one again. Might of been from an In-fisherman show.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/18 00:26:26 (permalink)
    Lol. Don,t remember that one.

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/18 07:53:02 (permalink)
    It really was funny , Im going to post again under new post. Hope some one remembers and better yet knows how to find it !

Lundrunner
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/18 12:35:13 (permalink)
    Gizmos,

It was In-Fisherman, it was from one of their musky videos.  I don't have it though.

Lundrunner
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/18 15:23:35 (permalink)
    funny lol

I have become comfortably numb
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/19 02:29:48 (permalink)
    In Fisherman.....I think it was Doug Stange and ............can't remember

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/19 08:41:40 (permalink)
    I can understand that for some people a 40 inch minimum is adequate.  For people that plan for the future, thinking ahead is the logical approach.  With the new "enhanced" regulations, stocking was tripled compared to the numbers that were stocked in the past.  The baitfish in our lakes obviously are thriving based on some of the fish that have been caught in the recent past, for instance, 53" from Arthur, 51" from Pymie.  The length x girth on these fish show potential for greater numbers of big fish, based on how they are growing by eating the forage.  Maybe if we're lucky 99% of avid muskie hunters strictly practice catch and release, but keep in mind that the fisherman might not be all of the concern here.  What is the average age of a trophy fish? Around 17 years old or so??  Ken O'Brien's Canadian record fish was 29 years old.  Sure catch and release has done alot for musky fishing now, but with an increased number of anglers and fish being stocked, management is the only approach.  The survival rate for one of these fish is so low that we must do everything we can to keep the odds up, whether that be monitor water quality, speak to the public about catch and release, or make sure people know how old a 40 inch fish is to begin with...  and sure, a 40" fish is big to someone who has never caught anything bigger than 15,  but a mount is also expensive for someone who has never caught anything that big.  I like to think that more than half of the muskies kept actually make it to mount status rather than the garbage.  The reality of it is if you're not expecting to catch a fish that big you're not going to have anything to put it in, keep it on ice in, take it to, etc.  I understand that people pay for a license and therefore it is their right and I agree we should be the ones making that decision.  But I also think people need to think about what all comes along with keeping a fish too.  Basically, we have the ingredients to make a great musky fishery even better if we can insure proper management of this resource, and the reality of it is the public should be involved in everything the fish commission does to our lakes.  The fish commish has already stated that if there was a large enough group of anglers concerned about a certain lakes status that they would consider looking at a co-operative status.    

Think it made the mount??

I'm sure this one did...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/19 19:20:21 (permalink)
    Wow that May 3rd fish looks as if it had been dead for quite awhile.

I agree totally Dealinsteel.  However, the point I was trying to make is that I really don't think a 50" trophy rule on any of our lakes is necessary, especially by itself.  Nor do I think the rule will help produce bigger and better quality fish.  ALL of the other management efforts that you mention certainly would IMO.  In other words, exclusively pushing for such a regulation alone, would be a waste of time.  It may actually hurt.  If it would be an addition to a list of efforts to better improve the muskie fishery, I might be in favor.  Heres why I think so..... 

Who constitutes a trophy fish anyway?  A 50" ski may certainly be a trophy fish to you and I, but may not be to somebody else.  And is it right to try to educate those people that it is?  A muskie does not reach it's breeding potential until it reaches it's mid 30s and are in their prime in their 40s, so why can't any muskie over 40" be a trophy to someone?  I have caught some fish in the forties that I considered more impressive than some fifties I have caught.  As long as we continue to concentrate most efforts to support C&R, educate young anglers to the sport on proper handling techniques, and continued support of stocking/habitat enhancements etc... the trophies will take care of themselves as they have.  Years ago, you very rarely heard of 30, 40 or 50 pound fish being caught in the area with the exception of Pymy when it was managed and renouned one of the top muskie fisheries in the world along with Chautauqua.  The same went to 40+ and 50+ inch fish.  Now days, you see many 30+ pounders, some 40+ pounders and the ocassional 50 pounder, you also see many more 40+ and 50+ inch muskies being caught.  Why?  C&R.  I have also seen the pressure on our local lakes skyrocket in recent years.  I certainly do not condemn anglers from taking up the sport, but it has effected the fishing and thats why I'd like to see more seminars and information on how to properly/effectively handle these fish allowing them a higher percentage of survival after being caught.  You don't know how many times I've seen guys boat fish, usually netting them, and the fish lay in the bottom of the boat for 10 minutes or more.  And 99% the time its not a 50" fish.  Its usually in the 30s and 40s.  Moraine, for example, has a good many of fish right now, it also has a good many anglers fishing for them.  I'd be willing to bet a very high percentage of those fish aren't being removed from the lake either, so what good will a 50" limit do?  Same goes for Pymy.  Theres a lot of pressure on these muskie out there, so i think we need to properly manage ALL of our lakes that contain muskie potential, and thats many.  Not just manage a few so that the muskie fisherman have more options rather than pouring most of the pressure on just a few lakes and thats another thing that this new regulation proposal may do.  You make Moraine a trophy lake, and you'll have muskie fishermen from all over the country here with all the hype.  I know I'm beginning to ramble on here, but you see, there are more important things regarding the sport that we need to concentrate our efforts on is all I'm saying.  And I'm not saying that I'm am right and you are worng here, I'm just not totally sure that its the right thing to do and a lot of thought needs to go into it before making such a change.  Many efforts have been made in the last 10 to 15 years to make the sport what it is today, I'd hate to see anything jeopordize those positive changes.  It may not, but we just need to be careful as to what we ask for.     
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/05/19 19:25:12

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/19 23:34:15 (permalink)
    Shut, Agreed.  We are developing a great fishery here in PA  C&R & education is the way to go. 

The only change I would ask for is a law prohibiting using a landing net, if you are going to release the fish.  You want to net them and keep them
    that's fine, but if you are going to release one, no net.  Just my $.02.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/20 06:26:26 (permalink)
    MuskyMastr,

I hear where your coming from, but outlawing nets would be virtually impossible quite frankly.  However you said it...educate...even with a net, there are proper fish handling techniques used that will give that fish a better chance at survival.  We're not netting crappie or walleye here.  People need to learn that you don't hoist a muskie into the boat with the net.  Its not an issue with me anymore either way, I chose to exclusively use the Boga and have for several years now with minimal problems.  The only problem I sometimes have is when the dang fish start spinning on the thing and sometimes get wrapped by the leader.  To each his own, however, as long as they know what their doing with the tools they use, educate themselves about them, establish a good routine in handling the fish and finally show them all the respect they possibly can.  We have a nice weekend coming up here, I'm anxious to get out, but you sure as hell won't see me at Pymy or Moraine!  Talk about ZOOOOOOOooooooooo...Will you be out MuskyMastr? 

Tight Lines.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/05/20 06:42:04

dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/20 10:11:10 (permalink)
    Kevin Goldberg showed a really cool method that he uses with the Boga and a Frabill Big Kahuna.  He gets the fish in the net, which then fits perfectly in a Downeast rod holder attached to the side of the boat.  It keeps the fish in the water while he gets the tools ready and is relatively tangle free compared to the old nylon nets.  He then uses the boga to grab the fish, which give him leverage to remove the hooks, take a quick picture and back in the water they go.  It's really a quick, effective, and limits the time the fish is actually out of the water.  

ShutUpNFish- I can see both sides of the issue at hand, and understand both the pros and cons of them.  I think it's amazing how far we have come, even the number of new fishermen getting into a sport (way of life for some of us!) that can be sooo trying and intensive.  It's always important to have people that care so much about a resource that we try to protect it, which is alot of the reason PA has the premier east coast musky fishery.    
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/20 12:48:02 (permalink)
    I will be out on the big pond this weekend.  My musky fishing doesn't really heat up until July.  Spent the last 4 days replacing my outdrive and fixing a TON of little things on the big boat.

While I use a boga exclusivly now, when I was netting fish, I think I had a pretty good system.  The second that net was under the fish, the guy with the rod lifted the head out by lifting the pole.  That way the net man could get to the hooks before they had a chance to get tangled and make a mess.  Of course messes still happened but that is what side cutters are for.

I think the best education to take guys fishing with you.  When they see it first hand they start to understand, and there is no substitute for practice.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/20 14:33:20 (permalink)
    I,m not a big fan of the boga on pike or muskies. Landed one last year with it and the fish thrashed around and tore a big nasty hole in its mouth. Never again.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/20 18:32:25 (permalink)
    dealin',

Quote: "I can see both sides of the issue at hand, and understand both the pros and cons of them.  I think it's amazing how far we have come, even the number of new fishermen getting into a sport (way of life for some of us!) that can be sooo trying and intensive.  It's always important to have people that care so much about a resource that we try to protect it, which is alot of the reason PA has the premier east coast musky fishery."

Great words right there!

I know Kevin, and we've discussed all of these issues many times.  Bottom line is no matter how you choose to handle these fish, handle them with care/respect and have a quick and effective routine that gets that fish back into the water in as little time as possible. And like MuskyMastr said, theres nothing better than practice.

Mika....Its a shame you feel that way, but for me and all the methods I've tried in the past.  Gaff, Net, Cradle, Jaws of Life (kidding).  The Boga has been most effective, safest, quick and easy method for me.  There are a few things you need to do to prevent the fish from thrashing and getting a big hole in its jaw that only comes with experience.  Even the hole in its jaw is a whole lot better than taking off all the fishes slime in the net, getting it all tangled up in the bottom of the boat, and having out of the water for 10 minutes... IMO.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/05/20 18:35:07

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/20 18:37:21 (permalink)
     A hole in the lower jaw isn't going to hurt anything.

H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/20 19:41:02 (permalink)
    Guys,
    If anyone wants to try to help with float stocking I met somebody from 3 Rivers MI who is making a contact list of names, phone numbers, and what water they would like to help with.  The hard part is that they usually stock during the week and on short notice.  If there's any chance at all you could help it wouldn't hurt to be on the list for your local water.  It would be nice to spread those babies out in some weedbeds where they have a better chance for survival instead of dropping a few hundred off at the boat launch.

You can e-mail me at h20wolf@hotmail .com and I'll pass your info on as I plan on calling him soon.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/20 19:49:20 (permalink)
    I sent you some mail H2O.  I may even have some additional guys who'd be willing to help. 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/05/20 19:50:17

H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/21 08:53:10 (permalink)
    ShutUpNFish,
    I didn't receive the email.  Maybe I should clarify my email is H20 (zero not O)  h20wolf@hotmail.com.

It would be nice to get some projects going like float stocking and habitat improvement.  A guy named Ken Anderson who is a habitat manager with the F&BC (Linesville I think) came to a 3 rivers meeting early this year.  They seem like they are willing to help with habitat improvements.  I think funding is the main issue, need a private group to fund the supplies but they will help build and install (cribs).

I like the idea of a musky stamp.  It may stop some non musky anglers from keeping fish and provide some funding for projects related directly to improving the musky fishery. 
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weekend reports? 2008/05/21 16:16:34 (permalink)
    Okay, I tried again.....let me know.

I just copied and pasted from your original post...I just wonder who the Hell got my contact info...It must be out there floating in cyber space.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: