french creek access

Author
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1670
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/29 08:19:41 (permalink)

french creek access

Just a heads up for those who use the access at Utica. You must now have a launch permit. Saw this in the PittsburghTrib.

The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy gave the commission a 1.3-acre tract of land along French Creek north of the Utica Bridge in Venango County. The tract is between an active rail line and the creek and has roughly 700 feet of creek frontage.

Mike

4 Replies Related Threads

smallmouth76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 171
    RE: french creek access 2007/04/29 20:53:06 (permalink)
    good been using it 4 years not much of an access.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: french creek access 2007/05/05 13:44:20 (permalink)
    That figures.  We who have camps in the area have been keeping that area up for years (for two years we had to endure a fallen tree across the put in area until I carried my chain saw and cut the sucker loose) even after the conservancy conned the company who replaced the bridge into building a half-assed put in, not where we typically put in but right beside the bridge and a long walk from the parking area.

Not sure who cuts the grass but I am fairly sure it's someone local, not the owners.

As far as I know, none of the camp owners nor Utica kids have stickers on their canoes & kayaks and I'm sure they will be happy to hear of this new requirement.

Wonder if the fish commission plans to station someone there to take care of the place (& check for permits) or whether we have to keep it up ourselves, and pay for the privilege?

I'm thinking we'll just have to start putting in someplace else (and yes, there are other places).

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1670
    RE: french creek access 2007/05/05 22:00:36 (permalink)
    Kayak,
    The way the PFBC works it will probably be a fine access just like the one in Cochranton.(3'-5' drop into the creek) LOL
    I broke down and got a sticker just so I didn't have deal with the bull***T.
    Mike
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: french creek access 2007/05/05 22:07:18 (permalink)
    Mike

I can understand not wanting to deal with the BS but, in just my case, I keep three canoes, a yak, a plastic float boat and a pontoon float boat at my place.  Another yak I keep at my home. The canoes are for guests and not used often. The only boat I register is the plastic float boat since I take it to some commission lakes once in a while.  I would dislike having to pay each year for the other craft just to use that access, especially when it's we users who seem to keep the place up.

Mike

Jump to: