East Side Camp Ground

Author
captnkirk
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 274
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/29 07:21:38 (permalink)

East Side Camp Ground

Was considering opening up a camp ground on Rt 5 just before Troupe Rd in Harborcreek. Am looking for some input? Would be right on 6 mile creek but no access to the creek or the lake for now.

11 Replies Related Threads

mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/29 09:33:53 (permalink)
    Would it be able to accomodate campers year round?  Have room to park boats?  With the new launch ramp at Shades Beach this might be a real opportunity for someone.
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/29 13:35:38 (permalink)
    We are considering cabins, boat storage, open year round, tents, tow behinds, & rv's. With all the hooks ups, a store and a small selection of hunting & fishing. Paved lot and wooded areas for camping. Plus we are looking into a game room for the children in all of us. Does not seem to be much interst at this point.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/29 14:04:39 (permalink)
    I have always been amazed at the lack of camping options in erie.  That said I am always interested in boating and lake access.  Just my personal opinions as my family and I have camped all over the US in the past few years.  I typically camp with my family (wife and 4 kids).  I know that we are not always the quietest (3 of the kids are between ages 5 and 6 months).  I would love to see some campgrounds with different areas for quiet hours.  We are night owls by nature and it usually seem that by the time we get back in from the lake or wherever, eat dinner it is 9:30 to 10:00. 

I completley understand the need for quiet hours and respect those who turn in early and rise early I do that on many of my solo trips.  But another part of camping is the ability to stay up late and tell stories and have a few beers around the fire.   I would like to see more campgrounds with different areas that have different quiet hours.  That way more lifestyles can be accomodated and as long as the rules are explained beforehand, then every one can be happy.

I would love to see another campground near the lake (I understand no access at athis point) but for those coming up on the weekends it might be fantastic.
    Wanna cut a season deal on a site or cabin?

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/29 16:29:21 (permalink)
    We love to go camping also and we once tried a short trip over the NY line at the KOA and we stayed in a tent. What a big mistake that was. Right next to I-90 with big trucks & jake brakes all night long. Now Lampe has a camp ground which is right next to the coke plant with the crane siren and the smell of soot. So there are no other camp grounds on the east side of town.

I fully understand about quiet hours and how they differ. One trip to the national forest at a camp ground and a hog ralley all night long was just not a fun family outting. We managed and still had a blast. More beer did the trick. LOL!

The area I am looking at has plenty of acres so it could be divided up for quiet times early and the other side later quiet time. Good thinking on your part and like the input.

HAd 2 mettings with the land owner and 1 with the township so far it looks good.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/29 17:31:03 (permalink)
    I'd consider re-locating my trailer if the accomodations were equal to where I'm currently parked....and the lot rent wasn't too steep.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/29 18:55:04 (permalink)
    I went to check out Lampe when it first opened, what a joke.  Obviously it serves as a place to stay if you are fishing, but that is not a campground.  It reminded me of a prison yard.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    PixburghScottie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/30 05:29:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: captnkirk

We love to go camping also and we once tried a short trip over the NY line at the KOA and we stayed in a tent. What a big mistake that was. Right next to I-90 with big trucks & jake brakes all night long. Now Lampe has a camp ground which is right next to the coke plant with the crane siren and the smell of soot. So there are no other camp grounds on the east side of town.

I fully understand about quiet hours and how they differ. One trip to the national forest at a camp ground and a hog ralley all night long was just not a fun family outting. We managed and still had a blast. More beer did the trick. LOL!

The area I am looking at has plenty of acres so it could be divided up for quiet times early and the other side later quiet time. Good thinking on your part and like the input.

HAd 2 mettings with the land owner and 1 with the township so far it looks good.

There is also Lakeside Campground just past 20 Mile creek immediately across the state line in NY, before you come to KOA. We camped there for years.
    mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/30 09:20:42 (permalink)
    Family Affair near Northeast generally seems full despite it's poor location.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/30 11:24:31 (permalink)
    I would be interested. I have been looking for a good campground hear Erie. I launch at Lampe. When I stay for the weekend, I keep my boat in a transient slip. The nicest campground I have been able to find is the KOA down by I-90. But I wish there was a nicer campground closer to Presque Isle, or the town of Erie. We tried Sara Coyne once, but we were not impressed. We used to keep our boat at Geneva-on-the-lake, Ohio just because we liked Indian Creek campground so much. But I like boating out of Erie, PA because I like the option of fishing in the bay if the lake is too rough.
    Stack Monkey
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/30 19:46:57 (permalink)
    I'd give it a look.  Family affair seems a little sub par (based on a few drive bys)  and Lakeside is too $$$ from what I've heard from some folks.  Right now I just stay in the cabin of my boat at North East, but the wife insists it's too cramped and she swears I snore, so she has no place to go.  If I had a better option, I'd buy a trailer and keep it there.
    PixburghScottie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: East Side Camp Ground 2008/04/30 22:48:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mikelravy

Family Affair near Northeast generally seems full despite it's poor location.

They have kind of a "cult" following if you will; they have alot of nice events throughout the traditional camping season out there.
    Jump to: