Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
IQ2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/28 19:21:40 (permalink)

Human Fish Hook Removal

My fishing partner took a musky lure to the forearm on Saturday.  Several hooks were buried deep!  Is there a method to get them out without a trip to the E-R?  Please respond.  I would include the photo if I knew how!!

31 Replies Related Threads

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 19:29:00 (permalink)
    either push it out the other side and crush down the barbs, or cut a small slit in the arm big enough to pull the hook and barb out backwards.

It's gonna hurt. No matter how you do it.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 19:29:09 (permalink)
    Cut each hook as high as you can with sidecutters.
    Do not try to pull it out.
    Push it through so that it comes out point first.

Or push the hook through the skin then cut past the barbs and pull it out.

Hook stuck in me was from sitting on a Jitterbug.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 19:40:46 (permalink)
    "Hook stuck in me was from sitting on a Jitterbug."

Ouch
    sagebrush
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 20:07:43 (permalink)
    For single hooks this is easy and painless (even if it is barbed and buried).  Take a short piece of line and loop it around the bend of the hook.  With the other hand, push the eye of the hook down towards the skin until it touches.  Holding the two tag ends of the line that you wrapped around the bend of the hook, give a quick and forceful yank on the hook (while still pushing the eye of the hook towards the skin).  Nine out of ten times, the hook comes out instantly.  I took a hook to the eyebrow and my buddy used this technique on me.  Honestly, pain free. Now for multiple hooks from a plug, that's a whole other ballgame. 

Sagebrush
    FlyRodReview.com
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 20:21:38 (permalink)
    If the hooks are still in there from saturday, he needs to get to a doctor anyway for tetanus shots and antibiotics.

Actually anyone, even if they use one of the above methods right away, should consider a trip to their PCP ( ot the ER ). Punture wounds are the worst for infections.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 20:23:50 (permalink)
    Go to the ER if you can....there is alot of bacteria on those hooks and the wound needs to be cleaned well...or just rip it out and pour some Jack on it...

I agree with sage's removal technique in a pinch

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    17targa
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 20:51:28 (permalink)
    Hey IQ2, are you the fello that asked us for our wire cutters on Saturday? Did you end up getting the hooks out? Also did you find the monsters you were looking for?

Mike
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 21:24:26 (permalink)
    Several hooks?  Thats means that a trip to the ER is pretty much necessary (I would never recommend any cutting of skin or pulling out hooks when several are involved).  Otherwise the best thing to do, IMO, is to push the barb all the way through and cut off the barb.  I've done it...it sucks.  Then pull the hook out.  I take every precaution, while muskie fishing, to prevent this from ever happening, but it happens and it SUCKS!.  I always carry a set of bolt cutters on my boat when muskie fishing to cut the hooks off off deeply hooked fish and unfortunately sometimes humans.  If you take action on your own, be sure to have a first aid kit handy on the boat to thoroughly clean out the wound.  I would not wish this upon anyone because its Hell, believe me, and can ruin any good fishing day.

This reminds me of a story about a trip we had to Canada, in the middle of nowhere....my brother's fishing partner (his first muskie trip and bass fisherman mentality) was trying to remove a 6" jerk bait from a 35" muskie, by hand and muskie attached!!  They had to bonk the fish to kill it...Well, you know what heppened...yeah, the fish thrashed and he had a 6 O hook imbedded into his hand.  They called me on the radio and I had to come over and do the minor surgery.  Push through, cut the barb and back out....Clean thoroughly...Done.  If the hook is rusty, you better go get the 'ol tetnus.  He was lucky it was a new lure...done deal.   He was in pain for a couple of days.  It seems those little ones always do the most thrashing at the boat, so be careful when handling those fish!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/04/28 21:30:48

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 21:27:19 (permalink)
    I once had two of the rear trebles of a 9in jerkbait in the side of my calf, the problem was that the front trebles were still in a 44 inch musky in the bottom of the boat.  He slipped the bargain "bogo grip" and fell hooking me in the process.  I made a quick decision that it would hurt less to rip them out instantly and just yanked.  I have nice scars to prove it, not fun.  I have heard that sage's method does work well.  If it was me I would cut with side cutters and then decide whether to pull them my self or have them removed.

As far as the infection and teatnus.  I would wash as good as I could and try and visit a doc at the first sign of infection or pain (or go immediatley after the trip was over).  My teatnus is typically updated frequently

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 21:39:03 (permalink)
    I have to reply once again...When muskie fishing, it is soooooo important that you have a good routine of handling these fish!  I NEVER bring the fish into the boat unless it is totally contained and lure/hook free!!!!  I use a Boga grip with an 18" modified handle.  I do ALL th handling of the fish over the side of the boat.  First contain it with a net or Boga, then get the lure free by removing it with plyers or cutting the hooks with cutters.  Finally, bring it in for the picture.  I have learned this through many years of near and fishing day ending experiences.  This is the Boga that I use and designed for our safety.  Do your BEST to stay safe out there, it really means a lot!

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 22:14:12 (permalink)
    Shut, I have the same boga now....My accident happened when I was younger and broker and tried to get by with the piece of $hit berkley one.....The problem on that one was that when the fish rolled the jaws would seperate sideways and they could roll out of it.  I learned the hard way.  This boga setup is the only way to go......I have the same looking extension as well.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 22:24:01 (permalink)
    MM,

I bought the Boga when they first came out, so I have no experiences with the copies.  Bogas are the best, you have to admit, but I don't like the design of working the mechanism so close to where the fish is.  I think the Bogas were desigend mainly for saltwater fishing.  My dad also made an extension with an aluminum sleeve which works a lot nicer and looks better....soemthing that may be marketed, but with how hard it is to get patends anymore, doesn't seem worth the trouble.  Therefore, we did it for ourselves.  If anyone would like to know how its done, feel free to PM me.  Safety is more important anyhow, IMO.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 22:26:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

I once had two of the rear trebles of a 9in jerkbait in the side of my calf, the problem was that the front trebles were still in a 44 inch musky in the bottom of the boat.  He slipped the bargain "bogo grip" and fell hooking me in the process.  I made a quick decision that it would hurt less to rip them out instantly and just yanked.  I have nice scars to prove it, not fun.  I have heard that sage's method does work well.  If it was me I would cut with side cutters and then decide whether to pull them my self or have them removed.

As far as the infection and teatnus.  I would wash as good as I could and try and visit a doc at the first sign of infection or pain (or go immediatley after the trip was over).  My teatnus is typically updated frequently

My buddy, while we were fishing North of the boarder, got two of the back trebbles in the back of the leg with a 30" pike on the other end...the Pike flipped and the hooks came out as clean as they went in...clean living I guess..a little neosporin and Molson Canadian for the infection

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 22:30:50 (permalink)
    That Molson Canadian does wonders doesn't it?

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 22:35:43 (permalink)
    Specialy the good stuff from the mother land...funny cause the Canadians all drink Coors light or Bud...go figure

jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 22:45:09 (permalink)
    Try molsen triple X and you can remove the hooks with your teeth.You wont feel a thing.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 22:51:18 (permalink)
    LOL..that was funny jonny....

Ever try the Molson Canadian Ice?  You can't find it here in the US...wonder why.  Not Molson Ice, but the Canadian Ice, I love that stuff when I go there!

jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 22:59:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

LOL..that was funny jonny....

Ever try the Molson Canadian Ice?  You can't find it here in the US...wonder why.  Not Molson Ice, but the Canadian Ice, I love that stuff when I go there!

I think i might have had it. I havent been there in a few years. We tried most everything. If the canadian ice is smooth then ive tried it. XXX you need a shotglass .You can buy xxx in the states now about 4 or 5 years ago you couldnt. We went to a place called kunuck in the qubeck(spelling) area.Nice place and you get your own lake(there are 72 lakes loaded with pike,bass,and trout)kick****
    jonny
    ElonDO-fishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 23:24:36 (permalink)
    As a medical student and working in the ED and Family Practice offices, I would say the string method mentioned above is the way to go.  If treble hooks are involved that clearly complicates the issue.  In all cases you should really make sure your tetnus is up to date.  If you go to the ER or your family doc with that problem I almost guarantee you'll be getting a tetnus shot if you're not up to date.  Here's a link to an article with some decent instructions for removing hooks http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010601/2231.html.  As with anything, if you're unsure or not comfortable, always go to the ER or your doctor to get it taken care of.  I know as a fisherman, it's a disappointment to leave the water for medical attention, but it's better to miss one day of fishing instead of having a raging infection or something else that could ruin several days of fishing!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 23:26:28 (permalink)
    The xxx at 7% alchohol was rough stuff.  We had it and felt it in the mornings, especially when chucking those big jerkbaits!  These days, I steer away from the high octane stuff. 

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/28 23:41:24 (permalink)
    When I was first old enough to go to "town" in canada (Peterboro) I was all excited to go drink some good canadian beer on draft......The first two bars we went to had Gennesee, and Budwiser on tap. (not that that is a bad thing)  Just thought it was kind of funny.

I know what you mean about jerkbaits in the morning.....My musky fishin partner and I have a deal that we started after they banned alcohol on the boat up there.  We used to stash a 4 oz flask of Southern comfort in the boat, with the following rules.....
    1 nip each for every muskie boated.
    2 nips for each muskie over 40"
    If a fish was over 45" we had to drain the flask.
    Well about 2 years into this tradition we had upgraded to 1 8oz flask each.  And after a particularly hard night on the town.  I landed a 47" at about 9:30 in the morning.  I never even thought about it until I was hanging over the side in rough water releasing it when my buddy says "awww $hit.....we have to drain the flasks......"   Bad day......!
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/29 03:42:33 (permalink)
    Jimmy Huston showed hook removal several years back which consisted of making a loop of monofilament or your line, pressing down on the eyelet section of hook toward your skin and then lifting with the looped line in the bend of the hook, which reverses the angle that the hook penetrated. Any way you do it there is bound to be some pain involved. Don't forget the alcohol, peroxide, or other antiseptic, and make sure you have a current tetanus shot!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/29 06:16:06 (permalink)
    Had one surgically removed at the ER. Was unhooking a small pike and he buried a hook in my thumb joint. The barb got hooked on a tendon and would not come out. Bummer!! Cost me $350..I have pulled out a couple with the string method and it works.
    As many times as we fishermen get poked with rusty metal we should all probably keep out tetanus shots up to date.
    Not to hijack the thread but how are the boga grips for doing muskys. Tried the Musky cradle and didn't care for the hooks buried in the net, and have gotten my hand tore up on more than one occasion grabbing them by the jaw..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/29 06:24:30 (permalink)
    Ive heard of the line method, to date though Ive used hemostats 3-4 times and a key once. My buddy and I were out fishing... "hey you wanna go get a beer"... SURE. "Hey man, you have a crankbait stuck in your shoe, let me get that out....::POP...INTO HAND:::

Um, give me a shot of jagermeister and your keys. Definately, not cool.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/29 11:06:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

When I was first old enough to go to "town" in canada (Peterboro) I was all excited to go drink some good canadian beer on draft......The first two bars we went to had Gennesee, and Budwiser on tap. (not that that is a bad thing)  Just thought it was kind of funny.

I know what you mean about jerkbaits in the morning.....My musky fishin partner and I have a deal that we started after they banned alcohol on the boat up there.  We used to stash a 4 oz flask of Southern comfort in the boat, with the following rules.....
    1 nip each for every muskie boated.
    2 nips for each muskie over 40"
    If a fish was over 45" we had to drain the flask.
    Well about 2 years into this tradition we had upgraded to 1 8oz flask each.  And after a particularly hard night on the town.  I landed a 47" at about 9:30 in the morning.  I never even thought about it until I was hanging over the side in rough water releasing it when my buddy says "awww $hit.....we have to drain the flasks......"   Bad day......!

A fishing drinking game,classic. Dangerous but classic.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/29 14:26:27 (permalink)
    In my opinion the boga when modfied as in the pic above is the ONLY way to deal with muskies.  They are a bit short before modification and put my hands a little to close to the trebles.  Afterwards they are cat's ****.

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/29 15:00:17 (permalink)
    For the record, I had nothing to do with this incidnet.

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/29 21:00:28 (permalink)
     A few years ago my boy got me in the back with a #5 Mepps. I couldn't reach it or see it and as my son at the time was ~ 12 yrs old I was stuck. We were in Canada ~ 7 miles from a small town, and 50 miles from a Hospital. I bumped into a Canadian friend who was with his wife and her sister who was a nurse. After a long spree of them fooling with it ,they had the cut off hooks burried in my back. I decided to fish a couple more hours then we headed in and I went to the Hosp. Female ER Doctor cut them out for $185. They have a long board covered with lures and hooks they have taken out in the ER there in Parry Sound.
    psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Human Fish Hook Removal 2008/04/30 02:49:40 (permalink)
    I got a size 2 or 4 hook stuck in my thumb when i was surf fishin a few years back...i didnt want to ruin the vacation i wriped it out...still have the scar today...but fished all day after the hook was wripped out...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: